Mid-west racing

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I believe this track is the famous Milwaukee Mile. This is likely either a ARCA or USAC event. Correct me if I'm wrong. The winged car up front is NASCAR veteran Ramo Stott's car. Not sure if he's driving. Probably is. If you look about half way down on the inside like you will see a 1970 Dodge Coronet. Green car with white top. Also can spot a Camaro & 70 Mustang. May have been Grand American cars used as field fillers. Love the diversity of the makes & body styles of the old days. People just wanted to race.

image.jpg

That's the Milwaukee Mile for sure. The car behind Ramo's is Norm Nelson, I believe. I went with my brother to one of those races, and being under the grandstand with the metal roof was not the place to be. When the cars went by, the exhaust was so loud and echoed under that roof that it would about rattle the teeth out of your head. The entire grandstand was replaced about 15 years ago. An interesting note on the grandstand shown, is that the back side was entirely built of, or faced with stone, and had a plaque attached to it stating that it was built as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project by the government in the 1930's to help put people to work. It was an elaborate looking affair on the outside, but I believe that's gone now. Good racing there, I believe that the track was originally built about 1909 or so.

From the note at the bottom of the photo, this is a USAC stock car race from Milwaukee. Milwaukee didn't do ARCA 'til USAC folded. This was one of the 3 races (2 stock car, 1 "Champ Car") that were held during the WI state fair. I'm guessing there 25-30K people there that have paid to get into the fair AND the race. USAC stocks were very popular at Milwaukee. The pony cars (Mustang/Camero) were allowed to run, but they could only have 305 ci until 1976. Dave Marcis won a short track USAC race with a 305 Nova at Kaukauna (sp?) about this time.
On the pole is Jack Bowsher. Outside pole is Ramo Stott. I think row 2 are both Norm Nelson Superbird team cars. I don't know who his teammate was on the inside (maybe Jim Hurtibies - once again not sure of spelling.) I think Sal Tovella is inside of row 3. Row 4 is Don White on the inside and Butch Hartman is outside, both in Daytonas. Basicly from about '63 to 71 (the Nichels/Chrysler years) Nelson and White took turns winning the championship, I think Foyt won it in '68 as the exception. After 71 it was all Hartman 'til he left for NASCAR ('77?). I believe White is in the former R&D car that Buddy Baker used to set the closed course record at Talledega. I went to a lot of races there starting in '74. And yes, didn't wanna be under the roof!!!!

Back