Mini starter

300rag

It's Not Going to Shift Itself
Reaction score
My old starter was starting to act up and not fully engage, so I put a new rebuilt mini-starter in the 300 today. What a difference. It just spins the motor over like there's no compression. I know the unique starter sound isn't there anymore, but the performance more than makes up for it. I used a 98 D series unit and the only thing to watch out for was the +stud to block clearance.

I'm going to go with a mini starter too if I have to change one.

I've had a mini starter for a few months now (bought it last spring). I love it, spins like crazy...usually only takes a quick turn and the motor fires right up....even hot. I do miss that familiar Chrysler starter sound though, only thing I regret.

I've been running the mini starters for years. I use junkyard units from V6 and V8 trucks and vans. Never had an issue with them, and for $25 a pop I have a few spares on hand. ;) Can't say I miss the sound of those old starters though.

Yep. Sounded good only when with a full battery, a cold start on a 70 degree day, and a low compression engine.

I can recognize that starter sound in movies all the time and they use that sound effect for a non-mopar car starting up a lot.

I've noticed in older movies sometimes the Chrysler or Dodge vehicle will have a "GM" starter sound. What's with that?

In the movie Vanishing Point the actual engine revving race scenes were sounds from a Ford Mustang motor. A little trivia you may or may not know about the movie...
The sounds of the 1970 Dodge Challenger in certain scenes are actually from the 1968 Mustang in Bullitt.

The car featured in the film is a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T, with a 440 cubic-inch V-8, and not a 426 Hemi V-8 (as is often believed). Eight white Challengers loaned from the Chrysler Corporation were used during the filming.

There were actually four 440 Challenger R/Ts and one 383 Challenger R/T, which was an automatic with green interior. This one was used for some exterior shots and it pulled the 1967 Camaro up to speed so the Camaro could hit the bulldozers. As confirmed by property master Dennis J. Parrish, all of the cars were NOT originally white. They were just painted white for the film. During the scene where Kowalski has a flat tire, you can see green paint in the dents.

The color white was chosen for the car simply so the car would stand out against the background scenery in the movie. White was not symbolic in any way.

A 1967 Camaro shell (no engine) loaded with explosives was used for the final crash. You can see the "Camaro" fender nameplate upside-down in the lower left corner of the screen after the crash.

Just come out and say it....... They sound like "Flipper".... there I said it

I recognize and can appreciate the big starter sound, but I have been running the ministarters for years now. Like mentioned earlier, junkyards are full of them.

Sadly the best video of a Gear Reduction starter, I'll have to make a better one, I'm using mine, it's the original and after 44, almost 45 years and 132,000 miles it still cranks the 318, when it craps out I'll go with a Mini starter.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

Sadly the best video of a Gear Reduction starter, I'll have to make a better one, I'm using mine, it's the original and after 44, almost 45 years and 132,000 miles it still cranks the 318, when it craps out I'll go with a Mini starter.

Nick

Excellent, it doesnt take much to crank a small block

Last edited by a moderator:
Back