Mopars At The Strip Pictures.

The Chrysler version of the U code 440 engine was the TNT in the early 70s.

I have the data book referenced above, and that is the only place I have ever heard the 383 and 440 engines referred to as Firepower. Yet they call the U code 440 engine the TNT as well. Kind of weird.

Steve

Last year I found a 1970 U code Road Runner not five miles from my house. The VIN, fender tag, all body numbers and the build sheet still in the seat....matched. (engine and trans MIA), Chrysler historical verified it.

All of that would be entirely correct for a Superbird.

What was the VON? Did it start with a J?

It was a Road Runner. Not a Superbird. It was pretty well equipped, A/C, hood pins, rocker moldings, vinal top, spoiler. 440 automatic column. It was a coupe.

I don't remember many details but here is a picture of the fender tag and one of the car where I found it.

70 RR tag (Medium).jpg

70 RR 1 (Medium).jpg

There is one other U code 70 Road Runner documented. It was the only one known until this car surfaced. The other was a RM23U0, this one was RM21U0.
Chrysler historical surmised it was an in plant executive order, 383 delete. Like the A12's were.

Last I knew the car was in Las Vegas being restored by the fellow I sold it to.

That was a kool find Will. It's been a while since I've been over on FBBO but wasn't it being restored publicly over there?

Will, Thanks.

The fender tag shows E63 indicating a 383 car.
The Y16 indicates a sales bank car.
The VON would not be typical of an executive order/internal Chrysler ordered car.
I'm unable to see the "U" in the VIN code on the tag.
It's a STL built car. Most of the 'specials' were out of Lynch Road.

Will, Thanks.

The VON would not be typical of an executive order/internal Chrysler ordered car.

If the RR would have been a Exec Lease it should have a VON starting with "Q".

But being a Y16 sales bank I see no reason why it should have gotten a 440 for any obvious reason. Maybe it is just a factory mistake in the VIN.

There was a Q4 turquoise colourred 1969 Polara 500 CV, factory L-code VIN (440HP) for sale a few years ago but it was a 383 HP car (matching engine in it, window sticker said 383HP car, too etc).

Carsten

Last year I found a 1970 U code Road Runner not five miles from my house. The VIN, fender tag, all body numbers and the build sheet still in the seat....matched. (engine and trans MIA), Chrysler historical verified it.

It was a Road Runner. Not a Superbird. It was pretty well equipped, A/C, hood pins, rocker moldings, vinal top, spoiler. 440 automatic column. It was a coupe.

I don't remember many details but here is a picture of the fender tag and one of the car where I found it.

Still a very cool RR.

Will, Thanks.

Doug, you posted in the thread several times, I'm shocked you're not remembering.

image.jpg

Doug, you posted in the thread several times, I'm shocked you're not remembering.

That's the VIN tag off the car I located, I have that pic some where also, as well as the door VIN sticker and the broadcast sheet with the 440 engine code.

It's a mystery how this car came to be, very interesting. The seller had no clue and still doesn't know about it.

I snagged the pic from the thread on this forum.

Nope don't remember it. Thanks for the refresher on the thread. I went back and read, most, of the posts and reviewed the BS again.
VINs are administrative and unrelated to production. The BS gives a better indication as to what was actually on the car.

From then:

The car codes for the standard 383 suspension. 778/779 torsion bars and equal leaf 212 rear springs. It does not code for the 440/ Hemi 780/781 bars and 794/rear uneven springs.

Interesting that the engine code is missing but the carb code looks like the '62' 383 carb.
Looks like 668 383 automatic transmission instead of a 670 440 tranny.
It does code Y39 but I can't tell the first character of the VON code.
..... Nothing on the BS indicates a 440 car.

Last edited:
azblackHemi. Absolutely love that black 70 Fury convertible. I remember seeing it for sale on ebay a couple years ago. I also remember it being special in a way, now I know. Thanks to the car description photo. Congrats to the new owner. Thanks for taking pics of it!

Back