Motor oil

hionlyf

Reaction score
HI ALL. I HAVE A QUESTION, WOULD APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL ADVICE. I HAVE A 1973 POLARA CUSTOM COUPE w/360-5.9L. I HAVE READ A COUPLE OF COLUMNS WHERE CAR "GURUS", WERE GIVING ADVICE ABOUT MOTOR OIL AND ADDITIVES IN OLDER CARS. I READ THAT ADDING UP TO A QUART OF 85W GEAR OIL TO THE MOTOR OIL QUIETS THE ENGINE AND ADDS LONGEVITY. ANYBODY TRY THIS? AND WHAT WERE THE RESULTS? THANX. TAKE CARE ALL.

I use "liqui moly 10w40 mos2", gave me good results in old engines in the past. But oils are like religions, everyone believes theirs is the best and tries to reform you.

And ...no need to yell ;)

10W30 Brad Penn...

$_12.JPG

I add one of these every other oil change...

content_4405_rislone_3x_zddp.jpg

Of course adding 85 weight gear oil will muffle the noise...

Haha. Why stop there? Many old timer tricks are out there. Oats in the rear axle/manual gear box. A teaspoon of brake fluid in a auto trans will help the seals work if it quits pulling, for a moment or so. Pepper in a cooling system for head gasket/radiator leak. Flush the engine out with a gallon of kerosene (drain oil, use straight kerosene) & run for 5-8 minutes to help *seal & recondition* that beauty. :)

I'm with Bob, Brad Penn is what I use in the classics. I would think that if your engine is to the point where you feel like it should be quieter, adding gear oil will probably prolong the inevitable by a few months. I would definitely say that you should start ordering parts for the rebuild.

My builder told me to run 15w 40 rotella. The oil for diesel motors. He believes since it has the highest zinc in it best for the cam. I also use zinc additive. I question the oil weight but hey he have me 3 year unlimited miliage on the motor. Of coarse in 3 years will be lucky to even put 3k on it. I'm not saying this is what should be done just following his instructions. Something about modern oils do not have the protection for our old style cam. Eldebroc (sp) even said must use zinc with their cams.

My builder highly recommended Valvoline vr1 racing oil. It has a very high zinc content to help keep the cam from going flat. I run 20w/50 in my built 440. I don't need to run a second zinc supplement......... Before I built my 440, my car had the factory 383 in it. I ran Pennzoil sae 30wt. No problems what with that oil. I have been running it on my built 360 since day 1. Now it has 154,000 on it and no issues........

Lead additive in the gas helps too. Even if you run 100% stuff it's still unleaded

I still run the lead additive as well. I was told really don't need too since chrysler used a lot of nickel in the heads. I figure can't hurt and it is cheap insurance.

You know 20 years ago i would have sat there and soaked up all the information with enthusiasm and glee, now i look at all the suggestions and all I can do is slap my forehead and stress, ugh Im going to destroy my motor for sure, Im getting old....

Back