MPG and fun

I have noticed a bit a oddness in the steering while on the highway. there is the typical 1-2" dead spot in the center and left lane changes are smooth as can be...right changes are a bit quick and uneasy. I really think I need to go ahead and get the alignment redone after that shop did it wrong. I did adjust the sector shaft a bit and it got a little better as far as looseness, but the rest is still there. maybe just worn...maybe still needs the input adjusted some...not going to mess with it til I get another alignment done though. Miles per gallon? wont matter in the end...but its nice to know what to expect. Mostly i want to know how accurate the gauge is at certain points so I know when I'm on the verge running out of gas. It sat on empty for the longest time and never ran out.

and parking....I ride an 11' long chopper....Im used to parking difficult things...this just drops right in the slot unless its at walmart where they have narrowed the slots for more cars...

If my memory bankz are working properly the slop in the wheel can be adjusted out with the help of a friend. Said friend sitting behind the wheel with engine running and you under the hood with the proper size box-end, 1/2" I think, and a flat blade screw driver. Back off the locking nut on the top of the steering head and have the friend rock the wheel back and forth as you turn the adjusting shaft clockwise 'til "0" slop iz felt and tighten lock nut while holding adjusting shaft in the new position while tightening the locking nut. DONE. And 68DDD, if your expert can't get rid of that "boge" in exceleration contact me. I had the same issue with my Hurst when I first bought it in '84. My factory trained guy fixed it in about 15 minutes buy "Tweeking" something on the carb and that '70 Fussie had an AVS on it too which iz the same critter az your Edelbrock, Jer

My parents had a '65 4-door hardtop Newport they bought new. 383 HP motor, I have no idea of the gearing except I do know it did have sure grip. The got 17 on the highway; wish I could get that in mine!!!

I get in the 15.0 range with a 440 and 1406 Eddy in my Charger. Hoping the TQ gets me into the 16s, if not, it sure is fun when the secondaries open.

I have noticed a bit a oddness in the steering while on the highway. there is the typical 1-2" dead spot in the center and left lane changes are smooth as can be...right changes are a bit quick and uneasy. I really think I need to go ahead and get the alignment redone after that shop did it wrong. I did adjust the sector shaft a bit and it got a little better as far as looseness, but the rest is still there. maybe just worn...maybe still needs the input adjusted some...not going to mess with it til I get another alignment done though. Miles per gallon? wont matter in the end...but its nice to know what to expect. Mostly i want to know how accurate the gauge is at certain points so I know when I'm on the verge running out of gas. It sat on empty for the longest time and never ran out.
My Monaco pulls to the right if I let go of the wheel. Guy at the alignment shop said the steering box needed to be rebuilt.

My Monaco pulls to the right if I let go of the wheel. Guy at the alignment shop said the steering box needed to be rebuilt.
Probably just a little tap Up or down on your ps valve (assuming your alignment is right on). A 1/32” movement of the valve will make a change. With no crosswind it should be a two finger drive.
If you ever have your steering linkage disconnected. It is pretty easy Center and take out any play in your steering box.

Back to the mileage, last year I consistently got right at 12 mpg. Not bad considering I am usually doing 70 mph. That was with a freshly built tight engine and premature mechanical advance. I haven’t had much of a chance to track this year.

The dead spot, loose wheel feel as described is caused by wear over time. Most common when steering straight ahead. It can be improved by adjustment, binding can occur by over adjustment due to excessive wear in the steering gear. If it takes more than 2 turns of adjustment Its time for a steering gear rebuild As for fuel mileage, w/ a recurved dist. and 29" tall tire 15.8 to 16.2 is common for me w/ 93 octane fuel.

Boy, I'm jealous.
On the crappy stuff they call gas in California, both my '66 Monaco 440-365HP, 3.23 with a '69 375 horsepower AVS carb and my V10 truck are now getting about 6 MPG around town, they used to get almost 10, many years ago.
almost a buck extra per gallon plus terrible mileage is really too much fun!

back when these cars were running new the gas was high octane they loved it to

As for gas mileage with the Monaco, I get 10 mpg around town. The fuel gauge hasn’t worked since I purchased car so I use odometer reading and gallons used.
FWIW, the best mpg we ever saw in a C when they were new was 22 mpg, once. In a 69 Newport Custom with 383 2bbl running up north to Boyne Mtn. on a cold Jan night.

Back