MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

"he was more interested in making sure I had everything covered up when I was driving"

In WI. blue is the color to cover up. My red is always visible. My emblems are magnetic to are removed before driving. Some cops are just not car people.......

100_0410.JPG

The other day I took the car for a drive with idea of taking this picture, I have seen the spot and liked the interchange in the background. This was 30 miles from home but I couldn't just turn around and go home, nope, I went another 60 miles on one of my favorite loops. CHP did stop while I was taking pictures, he was more interested in making sure I had everything covered up when I was driving.
Alan

That looks like just north of the Gaviota pass, at the 1 & 101 interchange. Yeah?

The 101 between Goleta and Santa Maria is one of the 'holy grails' of coast range scenic highways.

The other day I took the car for a drive with idea of taking this picture, I have seen the spot and liked the interchange in the background. This was 30 miles from home but I couldn't just turn around and go home, nope, I went another 60 miles on one of my favorite loops. CHP did stop while I was taking pictures, he was more interested in making sure I had everything covered up when I was driving.

View attachment 153977

Alan
The car looks beautiful! You should have gotten a pass on the graphics.

Hard to imagine that would be such an issue with your car, but I suppose they deal with too many wannabes in used cars or appropriately colored newer stuff. :realcrazy:

I've always been puzzled by that. Who's impersonating a police officer in a 30 plus year old police car?

My dad's 71 was said to be a plain brown wrapper heading west bound on the CB in 1983. At 17 I questioned the intelligence of the Guy saying so since the car was 12 years old.

They drew a line in the sand and that is the rule, the funny part is I see a difference when I forget to cover the trunk lettering and rear deck lights. After a parade once we didn't sty connected with the CHP on the way back to the office and we had no covers, no signs, and the exempt show plates were still on, people wouldn't pass us.

Everything covered up (but the doors) people fly by us like we didn't exist. We might get a few that slow at first but soon pass, more pronounced at night.

That looks like just north of the Gaviota pass, at the 1 & 101 interchange. Yeah?

The 101 between Goleta and Santa Maria is one of the 'holy grails' of coast range scenic highways.
That is it, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties have some of the most beautiful scenery in California, the amount of unmolested land is great and makes for wonderful drives
The car looks beautiful! You should have gotten a pass on the graphics.

That was my guess as well. Lovely area.

Just off to the left of this is another spot I have used...
2008-11-05_01.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
I've always been puzzled by that. Who's impersonating a police officer in a 30 plus year old police car?
To a Mexican who snuck in this morning, you trust nothing. They don't see a 40 year old car first. They see a vehicle with LE colors.
I talk to Pedro a lot.

He may have said that with a nudge-nudge wink-wink just so he could account for his time while really wanting to ogle it.

I got pulled over in my '66 once, going 5 over and the guy said immediately "You were going 5 over and you are not getting a ticket, but it was a good excuse to pull you over and look at your car." He didn't even try to hide his true intentions.

He may have said that with a nudge-nudge wink-wink just so he could account for his time while really wanting to ogle it.
Not this guy, rolled up on his passenger side, rolled the passenger side window down, made his comment and headed back up the highway.

Alan

They drew a line in the sand and that is the rule, the funny part is I see a difference when I forget to cover the trunk lettering and rear deck lights. After a parade once we didn't sty connected with the CHP on the way back to the office and we had no covers, no signs, and the exempt show plates were still on, people wouldn't pass us.

Everything covered up (but the doors) people fly by us like we didn't exist. We might get a few that slow at first but soon pass, more pronounced at night.
How do like driving like that? I hated test driving cop cars so much, I taught one of the front end guys how to do ball joints and sold him a spare BJ press I had acquired along the way just so I didn't have to drive the crown vics in the late 90s BJ recall... I figured for sure there was going to be an accident as morons stopped on green and waved you into traffic just to avoid you being behind them. :realcrazy:

To a Mexican who snuck in this morning, you trust nothing. They don't see a 40 year old car first. They see a vehicle with LE colors.
I talk to Pedro a lot.

Maybe, but this was a trucker going Eastbound on the Ohio turnpike .

The other day my friend came by with his CHP 69 Polara and we went for a drive.
Stopped for some quick pictures, didn't bother to unwrap the cars. As you can see the trunk lettering covered with magnets and Out Of Service signs in the windows and covering the rear lights, not seen is the KC Light cover on the red spot, also the registered plates on the cars.

My car on the right
2017-12-02_001.jpg

Alan

My dad's 71 was said to be a plain brown wrapper heading west bound on the CB in 1983. At 17 I questioned the intelligence of the Guy saying so since the car was 12 years old.

If that's not bad enough in 94 I had truckers mistaking my 68NYer in Mist Turquoise Metallic as an unmarked car. It's was 26 years old.

I got pulled over in my '66 once, going 5 over and the guy said immediately "You were going 5 over and you are not getting a ticket, but it was a good excuse to pull you over and look at your car." He didn't even try to hide his true intentions.
If I wasn't in a hurry I'd be okay with that.

As we all know these cars are never done, recently I found an NOS driver door panel on eBay in black, what makes this a gotta get is the lack of a hole for the remote mirror control. The panel is actually in great condition but a little dirty, all the same it is getting painted gray.
2018-01-16_004.jpg

On a positive note we took our cars to a memorial for a retired officer that passed away. He rode with us in some of the local parades. It was primarily a family event but was still well worth the trip.
2018-02-17_001.jpg

For the last eight years the Barracuda has been parked on the driveway. Even though I had made progress on making space it wasn't happening. So I pulled the car out and emptied the garage, plywood was placed against the shelves to protect the car from stuff falling off the shelve.

2018-02-18_001.jpg

2018-02-18_002.jpg

2018-02-18_003.jpg

2018-02-18_007.jpg

2018-02-18_012.jpg

2018-02-18_013.jpg

2018-02-18_019.jpg

I had to get out the passenger side on both cars, there is just enough room in front of the Barracuda to walk in and along side.

Alan

Question ; and i see that very often !! , why don,t you guys finish the walls and ceiling of your garages ??.

It all comes down to time, money and priorities. My garage has OSB over the insulation and is painted gray. The ceiling is same metal roofing you may see on buildings or barns and is gray also.

Back