My dual exhaust plan.

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Most likely going to go TTI C-body system with the stock Canada made Imperial mufflers and resonators.
Any Fuselage Imperial owners install a TTI system?
The shop that makes the Waldron muffler (I am pretty sure it is, but it's a secret) is about 2 hours away, going to call them up to confirm specs with them.
I have installed many A/E/B body TTI systems with great success and pleasure, but wondering if C body system really going to fit an Imperial.
What I found interesting is that my Mitchell's Manual list Dual exhaust for 73 Imperial and lists part numbers.
Tail pipes are 3583846-5
Head pipe 3726609 3726615.
Muffler 2883910-1
I guess at one time they were thinking to offer as an option.
The muffler currently on my Imperial is this muffler, it is quiet and it fits. 20"x6"x11.75" part number is 44342248.
No other numbers.
Photos reversed because I used a mirror to see numbers. Does anybody recognize this muffler?

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

Resonators make ALL the difference in quieting down the exhaust, which you REALLY want for an Imperial...………….

i would ask TTI about what you want to do, they have been very helpful in my experience.

I have called twice, nice person answered both times. Not the usual help I get from Tom or one of the other techs, the help I got was just word for word what is on there site.
Might try again.

As you know the Imp has a longer wheelbase and overall length. Some of that is the trunk.
Since you have done a few--and so have I- it iswise to use resonators behind the tips. 1. So that the TTi tailpipes will fit with the added length from the resonators2. Reduce the noise as mentioned.
Also to make up the added length under the back seat use longer mufflers.
You can bump the mufflers to 2.5 if you really need to.
The front pipes and H pipe should bolt right in. From H pipe to back is where you can make mods to fit.
Hope this helps.

As you know the Imp has a longer wheelbase and overall length. Some of that is the trunk.
Since you have done a few--and so have I- it iswise to use resonators behind the tips. 1. So that the TTi tailpipes will fit with the added length from the resonators2. Reduce the noise as mentioned.
Also to make up the added length under the back seat use longer mufflers.
You can bump the mufflers to 2.5 if you really need to.
The front pipes and H pipe should bolt right in. From H pipe to back is where you can make mods to fit.
Hope this helps.
Every TTI system I have installed needed the H-pipe to be shortened just before the mufflers. I am thinking I won't have to cut the H-pipe for Imperial fit. The tail pipes will need to be cut to fit resonators, that will misplace the TTI hanger bracket.
The original muffler is 2.5" in and out, just going with two of the stock style.

I suspect the basic floorpan length will be the same as the rear seat legroom is basically the same as normal New Yorkers and such.

In another forum, it was pointed out that most of the wheelbase length is in the stub frame and not in the basic body shell, which would mean the front pipes will be a bit longer? I had always suspicioned that the Imperials had more rear legroom, but they do not. Unlike the differences (wheelbase and rear legroom) between Plymouth, Dodge, and Chrysler sedan models, where rear legroom increases with the wheelbase length increases. Imperial mufflers are the same size as OEM C-body mufflers, as I recall. An old Walker Exhaust catalog should confirm that.

The angle of the bottom of the quarter panels on the '68-'73 body is more parallel to the road surface than in prior models, typically, which can mean a bit of tweaking to get the pipes' exit at the correct height in relation to the rear valence panel.

Keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

I went digging through my old Autopar exhaust catalog and parts manuals. Found that the front pipe of a Newyorker and Imperial to be same on single exhaust, so that is helpful.
The Mitchel manual dual exhaust part numbers cross referenced to a 2.25" in and out muffler.

Went into www.walkerexhaust.com/find-my-part.html and found the orig illustrations for the single exh systems for C-bodies. Unfortunately no dual systems listed . . . have to get out my old paper catalogs for that. Interestingly, the '71-'73 440 C-body single muffler (18381) is 2.5" inlet and outlet. The pipe size apparently decreases to 2.25" as the pipe goes over the rear axle, from the clamp size specs listed. With the resonator clamps being 2.25" also.

Case size L x W x H 25.0" x 9.75" x 4.25" Offset inlet, center outlet

The exh manifold flange gasket hole size is 2.25"

FWIW,
CBODY67

Here are the specs from my old Chrysler Autopar exhaust catalog.
When I looking the Rockauto listings, it has the Walker SoundFX 18381 with your specs and very close to the Autopar specs, but then if you want the quiet flow it becomes a round
6.5" muffler 21151 with 2.5" in and 2.25" out. Wouldn't have thunk it.
The Motivair PF106 muffler is what I will be looking at for my Imperial.
Motivair Exhaust Canada Inc. - Custom & Universal Mufflers / Cross Sections, Resonators, Hot Rods
The only book I found that listed dual exhaust for NY and Imperial was my Mitchels Manual. Most likely C-body cop car numbers. I should have a look see if same numbers.
Now to search resonators.

IMG_0315.jpg

All installed, just tail pipe fitting.
The TTI system looks great as usual, only a few things needed to fit the system to log manifolds in an Imperial. The right side head pipe flange needs to be re clocked to fit this year log manifold. second was just a shipping error when I received an incorrect head pipe for the left side and had to wait a while for new one to arrive. Mike at TTI took care of the problem immediately. Thanks. Third was that the system is designed for the Dynomax 25.5" mufflers and I had Imperial mufflers at 28", I had planned to shorten the mid pipes to fit but on these tail pipes they are bend at a 45deg and not a 90 deg out of the muffler. I got it all to fit nice with 3/4" at the closest area at front of muffler and foot well, shortened the tail pipe by 3"" and cut the muffler out pipe 3/4". This gave me enough slip into tail pipe to clamp or weld after I am satisfied with the hang.
Looks very nice and now the pipes match the rest of the Imperials condition.
IMG_0877.jpeg
IMG_0884.jpeg
IMG_0885.jpeg
IMG_0886.jpeg
IMG_0877.jpegIMG_0884.jpegIMG_0885.jpegIMG_0886.jpeg

That looks great!
Wait til you fire her up!
Did 3 C's with TTi and luuuvv the sound.

Hi Boydsdodge,
can you tell me where you got those clamps, makes your work look really clean?
May be a silly question to you but did you weld the pipe under the clamps, looks like the clamps you used have a butyl lining inside?

Also the muffler supplier I wrote about above is a great source for your mufflers. "Motivair" is not far from you. They also have a custom exhaust shop.

Thanks for the info on the clamps. I will be doing my TTI exhaust these next days off and they look so much cleaner.

Also the muffler supplier I wrote about above is a great source for your mufflers. "Motivair" is not far from you. They also have a custom exhaust shop.
Hi Jackson, Motivair could not help me, wound up going with Waldron for my exhaust, hope the parts you got at the yard worked for you.

Thats a surprise no help. Very helpful last winter.
Actually Tess from Motivair told me to call Waldron even though I had been in contact with Ruth at Waldron, I would have been like you and just drove up there to save shipping. Had to bite the bullet and go with Waldron and will be on the hook for $170 US for shipping. At least I get what I need,.... It is what it is!!!

Actually Tess from Motivair told me to call Waldron even though I had been in contact with Ruth at Waldron, I would have been like you and just drove up there to save shipping. Had to bite the bullet and go with Waldron and will be on the hook for $170 US for shipping. At least I get what I need,.... It is what it is!!!
Damn.

Back