My neighbor ruined my plans

At least the damage seems to be confined to the rear door. There might be some repair to the strike and "B" pillar....
Hopefully the interior trim panel is unscathed.

A good example of how vulnerable these cars are to side impacts.... before the era of door reinforcements.

The biggest challenge I see is getting the new paint to match the rest of the car....

As @saforwardlook has suggested and I can confirm from experience, TCP Global is pretty good. Send them your code & they'll send you paint.

There is another member of this site that I know well and he lives in Long Beach, Ca and due to limited land space near beaches, he has to park some of his vintage cars on the street. He has had a few hit and runs and Hagerty treated him amazingly well and took care of things promptly, and he still gets his insurance at good rates. So I estimate Hagerty will be a big help in this case and I am also confident that TCP global will get you paint that will match better than anyone else that I know of. Hagerty covers all my cars and know well how to grow their business through treating their customers right.

Stuff like this really hurts so I fully understand your angst, but try to take the long view in this case as much as you can and I believe things will work out well because you are in good hands with Hagerty (they are very good in terms of getting and willing to pay for good repair shops that can do the job very well) and are not at all like the typical homeowner insurance companies that Tim @sixpkrt has to deal with (as the old saying is that they would rather "peel your eyes out and eat them for grapes" before they will do anything for you), fortunately, that will evade any help in getting a repair done and there is a very good paint supplier that also can help a great deal. As @73Coupe said above he has very good results from TCP Global and his newest vehicle is EA4 and that just has to be one of the most difficult colors to match and as he said the match was done well - it has a tendency to look gray under some light and blue in different settings, but from the photos he showed me, I never thought anyone could match that color so well.

Last edited:
I have a Single Source an hour from me. I was going to get real PPG paint to get the job done but my body guy told me that he will handle paint and make sure it will be blended well.

Except for the trim, the interchange on the door is '72-3 Chrysler and Imperial 4dr HT. Good luck in your search.

If it were me, I would take the Imp to get SIX different body shops for estimates, (pick the top 3 for the judge), with quotes for turn around. Because this was your daily driver, you will also need a rental car while waiting to get the Imp back, hence the need for a written timeline. Then there's the devaluation of the vehicle after repairs are rendered.

Then there's pain and suffering (missed car shows & events), lost wages while running around, court costs, lawyers fees, possibly interest owed from the time of judgement rendered until payed in full (check your state laws, some allow this, some don't), when it's all said and done, this could easily rack up to close to 6 digits.

Gather up all the documentation, get a friend with a video camera and go knock on their door. Let them know it is all being recorded and documented for the courts in the event it MUST ever get that far, as recorded verbal agreements can be binding, give them (mommy's on the hook too if it was in her name) the opportunity to come clean before legal action is required. But call a lawyer too, preferably a big name TV lawyer.

So you saw junior driving said uninsured truck on the roads after the accident occurred? I'd document that too. Get you a Ring doorbell camera, make sure it's aimed at their driveway. Save that footage for court, it demonstrates repeat, wonton irresponsibility. That could work in your favor. In my state (Texas), that's cause for license revocation, forfeiture of said vehicle for damages, wage garnishment (if he's an OTR trucker, that'll cost him his job) and maybe even lose their home if they own it.

Be nice about it up front, offer them a carrot. Mommy may decide to play nice and cut you a check right then and there. But don't hesitate to show them the stick. If you have documentation of him repeatedly driving around without insurance, the courts WILL take his CDL, he'll be without a means to earn money to pay you back and he becomes mommy's dependant. See how fast they want to play ball.

Just my two cents.

Clean, from California.

IMG_0931.jpeg

IMG_0932.jpeg

If it were me, I would take the Imp to get SIX different body shops for estimates, (pick the top 3 for the judge), with quotes for turn around. Because this was your daily driver, you will also need a rental car while waiting to get the Imp back, hence the need for a written timeline. Then there's the devaluation of the vehicle after repairs are rendered.

Then there's pain and suffering (missed car shows & events), lost wages while running around, court costs, lawyers fees, possibly interest owed from the time of judgement rendered until payed in full (check your state laws, some allow this, some don't), when it's all said and done, this could easily rack up to close to 6 digits.

Gather up all the documentation, get a friend with a video camera and go knock on their door. Let them know it is all being recorded and documented for the courts in the event it MUST ever get that far, as recorded verbal agreements can be binding, give them (mommy's on the hook too if it was in her name) the opportunity to come clean before legal action is required. But call a lawyer too, preferably a big name TV lawyer.

So you saw junior driving said uninsured truck on the roads after the accident occurred? I'd document that too. Get you a Ring doorbell camera, make sure it's aimed at their driveway. Save that footage for court, it demonstrates repeat, wonton irresponsibility. That could work in your favor. In my state (Texas), that's cause for license revocation, forfeiture of said vehicle for damages, wage garnishment (if he's an OTR trucker, that'll cost him his job) and maybe even lose their home if they own it.

Be nice about it up front, offer them a carrot. Mommy may decide to play nice and cut you a check right then and there. But don't hesitate to show them the stick. If you have documentation of him repeatedly driving around without insurance, the courts WILL take his CDL, he'll be without a means to earn money to pay you back and he becomes mommy's dependant. See how fast they want to play ball.

Just my two cents.
Yes, being nice doesn't get you anywhere.

I understand that the son was not insured, but I apparently missed that mommy wasn’t insured as well.
9256. That is a lot of times!

Yeah, you haven’t read the thread then. This is his mother’s truck, it’s her vehicle so it’s her obligation to put insurance on it herself.

If I might suggest asking your insurer what this claim will do to your premium. You might be able to factor that into your dealings with the neighbours. I had a claim where a truck crunched the rear bar of my daily while it was parked. For 5 years I got questioned on any claims regardless of fault and as soon as I said yes, tsk tsk. This was despite the fact it was correctly parked and I watched it through the childcare window. Apparently I introduced the kiddies to a new word.
Good luck

The car is now being worked on. My body guy could not get it done before Carlisle so I had no choice but to go to another shop. They will be able to get the car done for Carlisle.

Back