My new leaf springs are installed

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had a nice productive afternoon. I got to my shop a little before noon and by 5:00 I had both of my new leaf springs installed. I only had one hitch on the removal. My U-bolts were on there really tight. The 1/2 inch drive impact wrench wouldn't loosen the bolts. My cousin has a new 3/4 inch drive and it took them right off.

I went for a 1 inch higher than factory. I measured before and after and my stance increased by 2 inches. I was really surprised how easily the new springs lined up. They went right into place on both side and every thing lined up perfectly.

By the way I measured the height difference on the front tires to the fenders and they didn’t change.

Before leaf springs change.sm.jpgAfter leaf springs change.sm.jpgNew stance 2 sm.jpg

After leaf springs change.sm.jpg

Before leaf springs change.sm.jpg

New stance 2 sm.jpg

Nice job. It doesn't look high in back for a 2" gain. I'm a little surprised.

I hope you're not getting any salt on that car. The weather here sucks right now.

My cousin had just cleaned the 8 or 9 inches of snow out of the barnyard. I just pulled it out of the shop for a photo. No salt on the old girl.

I figured that the original springs had lost more than 1", but I like the new stance. I don't know when I'll get a chance to take it for a spin after all this snow we got.

Here is a picture of the old spring next to the new. I was surprised that there was actually more curve in the old spring with no load on it.

old and new leaf.sm.jpg

old and new leaf.sm.jpg

Very nice, I can't wait to do mine. The top spring in mine is actually bent the opposite way before the rear hanger.

The real satisfaction will be when you get to feel it on the rod. Looks great!

No I think maybe the Europeans are starting to get to him...

He's been there; no bible belt for sure but no Playboy Mansion either. Lived with a very Christian American family for a while and there was a huge difference between the way the kids acted in the family and with their friends. Not that far apart, I don't think my influence spoiled them any more. :eek:ccasion14:

Where did you get your springs? I have a 66 300 with original springs that could stand to be replaced. Just curious what it may cost?

rear springs with new hardware will cost no more than five hundred shipped to your door

Where did you get your springs? I have a 66 300 with original springs that could stand to be replaced. Just curious what it may cost?

You might want to ask Polar71 where he got his springs I paid $700 springs, new hardware, bushings and shipping. I know steel has gone up in the last few years but if you can find them for $500 that sound good to me. I got mine from Eaton Detroit Springs. It was honestly the only place I could find springs for the '66. They are made in the US with US steel.

Did you ever find a set of front turn signal lense for your 300?

Last edited:
You might want to ask Polar71 where he got his springs I paid $700 springs, new hardware, bushings and shipping. I know steel has gone up in the last few years but if you can find them for $500 that sound good to me. I got mine from Eaton Detroit Springs. It was honestly the only place I could find springs for the '66. They are made in the US with US steel.

Good choice!

Really? $700.00, I hope I wasnt speaking out of turn then.

http://www.springsnthings.com/

I remember you mentioning this site when I was looking earlier. I didn't see the 300 listed the first time I checked them out, so I didn't look further, but I see they list Newport and New Yorker. I think when it is all said and done it will be about $700 too. I also paid an extra $40 for the "1 rise which they don't list on the price list.

Back