++ N.O.S. ++ ASbestos + Brake Pads

mobileparts

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Pads for the 1974 - 1978 "C" Body Models:
For the Pin - style calipers : 7018 D 85 or D85 &
For the Slider - style calipers : 7019 D 86 / 7019 D123 or D86 / D123

Treat your car right, don't rip up your rotors, and have nice smooooooooth braking!!!!!

U.S.A. made Wheel Bearings & Seals, too.......

Not to be a killjoy NOS parts are great, but if these are really asbestos brake pads
do everyone a favor don't sell them dispose of them in a responsible way. The TV commercials for Mesothelioma cancer is real. Sorry fg or soap box had a personal experience with it.

Would you guys run them if they weren't in the aftermarket anymore?

Aftermarket pads for these cars will be around forever....they fit millions of cars.

I know, but what if they weren't, like say for Budd calipers.

Here we go again...This topic dragged bare knuckes through the cheese grater 3 years ago...
CBody Asbestos brake pad discussion.

Let the seller sell them.
At least he is disclosing they do contain asbestos.
Buyers beware and let buyers decide at their desecration.

Last edited:
People still insist on nitrocellulose paint, too.
Like Lea, said, if they want them, let Kirschner sell it.

NOS? I guess there is no shelf life for brake linings. Either that or they are made in Mexico or China, but then again so are the new ones. What exactly is the attraction of asbestos linings? I have honestly not noticed the difference in driveability.

There are still old time house painters lamenting about the demise of lead paint...
It was years before I would concede Acylic was better than oil-based.

I have spent thousands of dollars recently and many more thousands of dollars over the course of time -- because the BEST known braking system known to mankind
is ++ Asbestos ++... those who have used ++ asbestos ++ and this new garbage realize VERY QUICKLY as to the advantage of asbestos braking....
They are nice and smooth, they don't rip up rotors (like Detmatt states: a MUST on the "C" Body "BUDD" system -- ONLY ASBESTOS!!!!!!)
They want them in the Mopar World, the GM World, the Ford World, the Rambler World, the Studebaker world, etc., etc........

If there is any private individual who objects for any reason at all --- then DO WHAT YOU WANT --- it is a Free country --- I am not making any political statement ---
I am simply providing the best known brakes for those who care and those who know.......
It is not like you are sending a tube from your rotor or drum and inhaling it (I think?!?!?!).....

Not to minimize any of the dangers asbestos, but working with one car that has NOS pads isn't the problem. The asbestos content was reduced and possibly eliminated from your pads (I still tell young techs its not safe to make airborne). The copper content from metallic brakes went under the gun not too long ago which has brought more use of ceramics into play. You should still have excellent braking from a quality aftermarket set, if available, but will also have more wear/noise issues. If you're that concerned with dust, do like the abatement guys and rinse it all off with a hose and catch your runoff for disposal... most community waste landfills accept asbestos products as far as I know. They will probably look at you funny when its not a truckload of old building materials though.

Members who have experience with Mesothelioma, you have my deepest sympathies. The uses of asbestos were so common, lots of folks never even knew where or how they were exposed. How many once common products have evolved into banned or restricted health hazards? I'm not quite 50 and many older guys I knew earlier in my career have had issues with cancers caused by many once common products or practices. My generation had less exposure and it continues to get better in many ways.

I had a grandmother die of Black Lung. They guessed her exposure was mostly from washing clothes... she was survived by my grandfather and others who did mine coal. Its a bad thing, but I wouldn't get into a panic over one set of out of production brake pads.

Here you go Catnip...

Johnny Cash outside Folsom Prison 1968.

12573940_1651605445102091_1937831987083739785_n.jpg

Way to stay on topic Bob! Well at least we're consistent...

Times have sure changed. When I worked as a Melter taping an open hearth furnace we wore these asbestos lined heat coats. When you took them off the fibres would cling to your shirt and pants LOL.

731D9_40_2__09448.1407262063.225.225.jpg

I was exposed to asbestos, mercury, lead, tetrachlorine, petrochemical fumes, and everything else all my life
Like Julia Child preached to her audience while frying up chitlins in chicken fat...
"...Everything in moderaton".
Keyword: moderation. You don't let a kid chow down a window sill painted in 1955...
Yes, shipyard workers, etc, were exposed to too much crap. Nobody knew how much "in moderaton" was back then.

Here you go Catnip...

Thank you sir. I though Mr. Cash was a perfect fit given my recent up grade from 0 to 2. He looks like I remember my grandfather in that pic.

Times have sure changed. When I worked as a Melter taping an open hearth furnace we wore these asbestos lined heat coats. When you took them off the fibres would cling to your shirt and pants LOL.

Your not kidding, the youngsters would call in sick for a week and hire lawyers if they ever even saw that thing hanging in the shop. You should see how fast they freak out if a car runs for more than a few seconds without an exhaust hose... I have walked many over to the CO alarm and made them read the label. Now if it ever goes off they will want to evacuate like the building is on fire.

How many once common products have evolved into banned or restricted health hazards? I'm not quite 50 and many older guys I knew earlier in my career have had issues with cancers caused by many once common products or practices.

but I wouldn't get into a panic over one set of out of production brake pads.

What was pointed out in the post that cbarge quoted was that asbestos isn't banned in the US, its mining and its use in manufacturing inside the US border is banned. Pads manufactured outside the US still contain asbestos, the warning label is just bigger.

Back