Need some advice:

bulldogchesty

Reaction score
I was in the middle of changing to disk brakes on my 68 Newport when I broke a brake line. I haven't worked on it in awhile now. It won't run now that it has been sitting so long. I think I have bad gas in the lines, or it just turned to sludge. Should I get the disk converted over or should I get the fuel system straightened out and get it running again. I agree that I have been very lazy. I look forward to all comments.

Maybe a year.
Your gas won't get that bad in a year.

It's your choice what you want to do... I'd probably do the brakes first, but getting it running, or at least diagnosing the starting issue is still going to have to be done. A quick spritz (not too much) of starting fluid might tell you if it's a bad gas issue. You could also have wet plugs from trying to get it to fire up too...

From my experience, if your fuel is a year old or less and you put fuel in the carburetor or use starting fluid, if it runs and quits, it is likely the needle and seats sticking closed in the carb not letting fuel in the bowls. With ethanol in today's gas, this is a common occurrence. I hate ethanol in gas, one of my most frustrating issues.

Back