Neutral Safety Switch

Newport Man

Reaction score
Trying to find a good neutral safety switch for my 69 Newport. Tried some aftermarket ones and they either won't (a) turn on the back-up lights or (b) reliably start the car. Tried an expensive NOS one but it is leaking. Does anyone have any suggestions before I buy any more of these things?

Trying to find a good neutral safety switch for my 69 Newport. Tried some aftermarket ones and they either won't (a) turn on the back-up lights or (b) reliably start the car. Tried an expensive NOS one but it is leaking. Does anyone have any suggestions before I buy any more of these things?
They are not all the same. Summit, Classic and JEGS all advertise them and I ordered from all three for my 65 SF which were all wrong. Finally found this on e-bay which was the right one. Compare your's to pictures before you order because they were and not all the same. The one I reference also has the right part number stamped on it.

TF6 904 TF8 727 Neutral Safety Switch 1965 1966 1967 1968 Chrysler Mopar | eBay

They are not all the same. Summit, Classic and JEGS all advertise them and I ordered from all three for my 65 SF which were all wrong. Finally found this on e-bay which was the right one. Compare your's to pictures before you order because they were and not all the same. The one I reference also has the right part number stamped on it.

TF6 904 TF8 727 Neutral Safety Switch 1965 1966 1967 1968 Chrysler Mopar | eBay
That's for a '68 and earlier. His is a '69 that needs the one with three pins. The two don't interchange. The outer pins are used for the reverse lights.

The rooster combs in the trans are different too.

1691079168132.png

That's for a '68 and earlier. His is a '69 that needs the one with three pins. The two don't interchange. The outer pins are used for the reverse lights.

The rooster combs in the trans are different too.

View attachment 609225
I think I have a few of these.

Turns out the ones I have are 2 terminal. Any guesses as to application?
IMG_7214.jpeg

The switch for the 69 does have three prongs.

So far I have tried four switches and each has had a problem.

#1 was obtained by my repair shop from NAPA. It wouldn't turn on the back-up lights.
#2 was obtained by me from Classic Industries. It would turn on the back-up lights but I would often have to run through the gears several times to get it to start.
#3 was obtained by the repair shop. I don't know the source. It was back to reliably starting the car but no back-up lights.
#4 was a NOS switch I got from Hilltop. It was expensive but seemed to work at both starting the car and turning on the back-up lights. However it is now leaking.

Not sure if I should get another expensive NOS part that might be 50 years old or try another source for a cheaper, non-NOS part that might not work.

#1 was obtained by my repair shop from NAPA. It wouldn't turn on the back-up lights.
#2 was obtained by me from Classic Industries. It would turn on the back-up lights but I would often have to run through the gears several times to get it to start.
#3 was obtained by the repair shop. I don't know the source. It was back to reliably starting the car but no back-up lights.
#4 was a NOS switch I got from Hilltop. It was expensive but seemed to work at both starting the car and turning on the back-up lights. However it is now leaking.

Not sure if I should get another expensive NOS part that might be 50 years old or try another source for a cheaper, non-NOS part that might not work.
If you have the old ones, take the gasket off one and try that. If you tighten it too tight, it will leak.

At least that indicates that it's a switch problem and not something else on the car. Try to see where the leak is on the NOS switch. You might be able to reseal it depending on where the leak is.....through the pins? Gasket? Crack in the plastic?

Have you verified that the Back Up Lights are operational? I would suggest checking to make sure Voltage is getting to the Switch, then apply Voltage to the Back Up Circuit. That will make sure they DO work when you install a correct working Switch.

Back