Never again.....basket case projects.

Catfish

Reaction score
Putting together something that someone else has taken apart sucks. Looking for bolts, fixing stupid stuff, looking for parts, redoing new stuff.

My A body project is coming along. I bought it as a basket case, the previous owner already had all the front end parts bought so they came with the car. He already had the upper control arm bushings pressed in and new upper ball joints in. So a few days ago I lay out all the front end parts....two lower ball joints but they are both for the same side. LOL. Order that and all the steering parts.

Yesterday I bought new master cyl, booster, brake rotors/hubs, bearings, seals, brake hoses, pads. I rebuild the k member stick it in the car, torsion bars in, go to put the upper arms on and the wrong f-ing bushings are pressed in. **** comes to a standstill until the new ones get here Thursday.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I did manage to get the four door stripped and ready for the crusher.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Derrick! What engine are you putting in that Swinger?

It probably not much different than taking a car apart with the idea that it would only be six months, 17 years later. Notes were not taken as I'll remember, pre digital age so no pictures were taken. That is where these forums take over.

Been there done that, kodoos to you for getting it done.

Alan

Nice work Derrick! What engine are you putting in that Swinger?

I was going to big block it, but blown and stroked small block now. Of course that's a ways down the road yet. I am just going to get it running, driving, and stopping with a stock 360 until the polara is done. Then a 6-71 blown 408 LA.

It probably not much different than taking a car apart with the idea that it would only be six months, 17 years later. Notes were not taken as I'll remember, pre digital age so no pictures were taken. That is where these forums take over.

Been there done that, kodoos to you for getting it done.

Alan

The only real difference is all the half assed stuff done with new parts. Like the upper bushings. Digging through five gallon buckets full of bolts, brackets, and bullshit is the worst though. I bag, tag, and shelf things when I take them apart.

I feel your pain, Catfish! I was helping my buddy out at his shop a little while back, and we were working on a '66 Mustang. Kind of a Shelby clone, pro touring type of buildup. Anyway, it was basically a ground up type deal, and the guy brought us the car as a empty shell with boxes and boxes of parts. There were bunches of coffee cans with everything from interior screws to suspension bolts all mixed together unlabeled, but then had items marked with tape like "Upper dash pad", "Console", and "Right door glass". :sFun_doh2: Uhh, gee whiz, I think we could've figured that stuff out pretty easy, pal! :rofl:

My guess is that there was marijuana involved during that process.

Do the long term plans just call for driveline build or will there be paint & interior work too?

My choice would be blown and stroked BB but sounds cool your way, only thing a bodies are good for is making a car that's a handful to drive.

Do the long term plans just call for driveline build or will there be paint & interior work too?

No! I am never doing paint and body again! Way cheaper to buy one someone else is already upside down on.

My choice would be blown and stroked BB but sounds cool your way, only thing a bodies are good for is making a car that's a handful to drive.

I weighed the options pretty heavily on each. There are still times when I feel like going big block. I love the Darts, 67-69 Darts are one of my favorite Mopars. This 74 isn't my favorite at all, but it was cheap.

I have always loved the Darts as well! Also had a 318 Duster (Ruster) that I thrashed for years and just never could kill. Best $300 I ever spent! LOL! Good luck with it, sounds like a bitchen project either way!

No! I am never doing paint and body again! Way cheaper to buy one someone else is already upside down on.

I avoid any bodywork done by others; it's in most cases below my standards and almost always leads to rust issues in the future when the painted over repairs "go up". Exceptions are possible, but I don't count on it.

I dropped the k member again tonight and put bigger torsion bars in. Then the wife helped me press in new upper control arm bushings. Got the steering and suspension done! Tomorrow it will be packing bearings and hanging calipers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Excellent! Love it when the ladies get involved!

Me too!!!......

image.jpg

Back