New C Body owner from Holland

JaapMopar

Reaction score
Hello all, would like to introduce myself since i've been looking around on this forum for a while. My name is Jaap, I'm 20 years old and I live in Holland. Bought this 1970 Newport 4 door hardtop a couple of months ago from someone who imported it a year ago. It is still on Arizona plates.

Car is completely original and rust free. Some dents and dings but it was cheap :D Has a 383. Was a 2 barrel, but converted it to propane because the gas price here is't funny anymore... So now it has a 4 barrel intake and a big propane mixer instead of a carburator. Runs very good.

Because it's not legal to drive yet (has to go to an inspection to clearify it's safe) I take it to needed places this way

I've done all the brakes and suspension because that had all dry rotted (car has not been driven since '89). Only some electrical problems to fix and it's ready to make the Dutch Streets unsafe:glasses2:

Not my first Mopar tho, drove this M880 for the last two years as my first car, loved that thing!

Welcome aboard and really like your taste in cars. It`s refreshing to see another young buck get interested in the land yachts. :eek:ccasion14:

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice car, congrats. The truck is kool too, do you still have it?

Welcome. I love the propane conversion. I don't know why that's not way more popular in the states.

First off, welcome:welcome:

Welcome. I love the propane conversion. I don't know why that's not way more popular in the states.

A few reasons.
1. Propane is not that much cheaper
2. Propane has a lower energy content
4. The range is seriously reduced unless you can have a large tank, then that brings other issues
3. The payback period is too long

I had a propane conversion in a work van and the cost per mile was only marginally less than gas. After 8 years and 150,000 miles we just about broke even.

I get all that but it just proves that the talk of breaking the dependency on foreign oil is all smoke.

First off, welcome:welcome:

A few reasons.
1. Propane is not that much cheaper
2. Propane has a lower energy content
4. The range is seriously reduced unless you can have a large tank, then that brings other issues
3. The payback period is too long

I had a propane conversion in a work van and the cost per mile was only marginally less than gas. After 8 years and 150,000 miles we just about broke even.

In Holland it's a BIG difference. The installation was about 1500$, I will break even after about 5000 miles. After that it's a lot more fun to go to the gas station. A full tank of propane here is about $50, full tank of gas will set you back more than $200 here. Every American can here runs on propane and you can fill it up everywhere ;)

Thanks for the welcome by the way!

Last edited:
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice car, congrats. The truck is kool too, do you still have it?

No, I sold the truck to buy the Newport. I'm just a student which has to pay everything with a weekend job...

Welcome, nice looking car. I drive my Imprial Convertible with propane too, here in Germany.

Propane is not viable in Canada (or Northern States) for year round use without a tank heater, because when it gets cold enough there is no differential pressure to drive the system. The RCAF went propane on its fleet of vehicles in the late 80s and had to convert to gas after the first winter. The beauty with propane conversions is that you can switch back and forth easily.

You could easily use compressed air to push the lp out of the bottle. That's exactly what my nitrous setup does.

Hey fella's, if you didn't know....they sell gasoline in Europe by the liter (a hair over a quart) for more than we pay for a gallon.

[h=1]Germany[/h][FONT=AG_regular]Price per gallon of gasoline: $7.96
Rank by most expensive gas: 15
Rank by pain at the pump: 42

[h=1]Saudi Arabia[/h]Price per gallon of gasoline: $0.45
Rank by most expensive gas: 59
Rank by pain at the pump: 58

[h=1]Venezuela[/h]Price per gallon of gasoline: $0.06
Rank by most expensive gas: 60
Rank by pain at the pump: 60

[/FONT]

Yeah and did you see his last ride? He'll fit right in here!

Back