New Generation

jake

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am in my early 40s and a ma mopar freak. I am trying my best to raise my kids to be enjoy and appreciate what the 60s, 70s have give us. I continually see our cars go overseas or to an older enthusiast whom hopefully has children or grandchildren. I believe we need to make an honest effort to promote/change the way we expect the next generation to accept our way of life. Stock is not what they want, or myself, I like after market rims and a sense of style, but we/you have more knowledge then just about anyone about these old mopars. Let us use what we have to promote and accelerate what we are about. I want to see our big boats sail down the road 20-30 years from now. Let big rims fly, modern hemis squeeze into our bodies. Accept and if anything, promote it. Dont let us be forgotten!!!

Let big rims fly
Only if they are flying into the trash ! They ruin the look of the cars as bad as a small block Chevy would ruin the drivetrain. The factory stylist got it right, no need to **** it up.

You wont get me too fired up over a set of wheels/tires that fit... but the dumb *** spacers, cutting, grinding and altered suspensions are the next step.

"Its yours , do what you want" has limits at safety IMO. If you intend to make a trailer queen because it wont drive right... you've ruined it. If you drive it even though it has compromised steering/suspension components, your an idiot and a danger to everyone around you.

Between the mechanics, the engineers and the just plain old smart guys we have around here... when somebody starts down the road of "I am thinking of doing this to my car" and gets discouraged... the negative words are not simple hate. There are too many folks who lack the knowledge or skills to complete such a job, but have the car and the means to go deep enough to destroy one... The TV shows don't actually put those cars on the road, the ones they have made too unsafe or in violation of emission laws show up in the background of future episodes.
Jesse James Fined for Violating Air-Quality Laws
Too many folks believe they can do whatever they want without knowledge of or concern for the consequences.BTW Jesse had to still make the bikes right or buy them back from his customers... Just another idiot who wants to spin that he is being picked on. Like cheating taxes and wondering why you get fined...

I would love to encourage more young people's involvement. There will always be some, but how many of them would ever have the nostalgic factor of "that was my first car", or "I wanted one since they were new"?

I walked by a young man in a parking lot last week with a flat tire. His too wide rims with incorrect tires stretched to mount are a popular fad right now and his had dismounted. I was in uniform and have access to tire equipment several hundred yards away... I simply told him "Those tires are unsafe and we cant do anything to help you. The tires need to match the wheel size or that will happen at anytime." I am sure he thought I was a jerk, and he got somebody, somewhere to remount his tire and put it back on and left. I secretly hope whomever decided to stretch that tire back onto the rim gets raped in prison for 20 years when he does commit manslaughter, because its his responsibility as a paid professional to not do unsafe modifications.

My first real shop job involved street rods. NSRA safety stickers were a big deal to most of those guys. Considering that almost every modification they did improved the safety of the car, I still like a quality build. The jerks who ruined a clean original or restored car were not in favor amongst the crowd I dealt with... those were forumulative values for me and my career.

Maybe junior needs to appreciate our values instead of us kissing his *** and trying to accept his.

As an early-40s male who has owned triple-digits numbers of old cars, who plans his vacations around junkyards and car shows, who owns rental properties to hog the garage space, who works in the industry (by choice); I'd like to make a few responses to your post.

1) Thank you. I know your post is well-intended and comes from a "good place", if that doesn't make me sound too much like this guy...
Dr.-Phil-Becoming-One-of-mHealths-Biggest-Champions.jpeg

2) I'm not bothered by shipping these cars overseas. For one thing, they're are going to the "good" countries, not the sh**hole places you'd never want to visit. When I went to Germany in 2003, it was great sport finding fish-otta-water vehicles like a Pontiac Transport in one of those little villages that looks like you could eat the houses, or a Dodge Ram truck pulling a horse trailer through a mountain pass. As long as we have greater supply of dumbasses pulling 383s, 400s & 440s for their bondoed '75 Duster project than we do of people doing this...
fb_img_1460494373621-jpg.76312

...then we might as well send them to places where they cost too much money to do this...
i086858.jpg

...and for cripes sakes even building "replicas"!

3) The old car hobby is a great way to express your individuality. The problem is that most (but not all) people don't think their projects through, and/or just have terrible taste. That means when someone bails on their old car because they get "stumped" by a carburetor accel pump, I swoop in and buy it. Then I put their $2000 made-in-China rims and $2000 stereo system on Craigslist for $500 (and be happy when I can get $300). I'll bet this car is lotsa fun to drive when I can't use 70% of the damn steering wheel. And if I want to sit on my *** and watch TV, that's why I have a living room... or even a cellphone that goes anywhere I want.
00S0S_1JOuCyxfkW6_600x450.jpg

Mods from stock can be cool, but they generally look more like this:

mopp_0602_03z%2b1970_plymouth_fury%2bengine.jpg

So in conclusion, please don't take this the wrong way. We are probably the last generation who escaped being beaten over the head about how bad/dangerous/etc. cars are, and how much I should love the "virtual world" of mom's basement. I have the same fears that there will be no generation after ours. But at the same time, I've come to realize that they're aren't enough Americans to keep this thing of ours going. We're going to have to share and welcome new blood wherever we can find it. Second, bad-taste is bad taste. I don't want a car that looks like a stagecoach.
garfield-box-30000-clear-30-inch-wheels.jpeg
stagecoach_1.jpg

Nor do I plan to spend $15000 for a GenIII Hemi swap that saves me $100 a year on fuel. Yesterday I drove around all day in a 318-2 Dodge Magnum and had zero trouble keeping up with traffic. Part of that car's charm is how well it runs in 2016 using ancient technology like a carburetor, mechanical distributor and a transmission with a liquid-mechanical brain... Much like my own.

I like them stock but on a whole I encourage people to do what they want within reason, as long as nobody is making mods that can't be undone.
I used to dig the Misfits but was a bigger Minor Threat fan.

As long as the kids are not bagging our cars and the changes are reversible I say knock yourself out. I personally am not a fan of the resto-mod trend. Seeing younger folks at the cruise nights but mostly in Fieros, and newer generation Mustangs and Camaros. Lots of the newer Challengers showing up too.

But let's be fair... In 1955 it would have been over-advanced timing, a 3" diameter chrome air cleaner, and glue-on whitewalls. :poke:
I wasn't even a bad idea yet, but if am correct the poor kids were still hopping up flat head fords, the richer kids were hunting oldsmobiles... and the demi-gods were stealing the keys to dad's 300.

I'm seeing a lot of kids in my area with diesel Dodge trucks.....which is a good thing!

Back