New guy looking at a ‘62

liquify33

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m looking at a ‘62 Newport in rough shape but fairly complete/stock based on what I can see comparing restoration photos to the ad. I’m going to look at it tomorrow AM and looking for some knowledge here. Interior cloth/seats/panels are in pretty sad shape but present.

What things should I “demand” be present? Things that CAN NOT be replaced in 2021. Deal breaker, no go type items. Chrome, emblems and interiors buttons/bits appear to be stock and present, minus the parking brake release handle.

How can i tell a 361 from a 413?

Anything else useful to know about these cars going to look would be appreciated.
TIA

There is a machined pad just opposite the distributor on RB series engines. This pad will be stamped 413 or sometimes just 41 if the engine is a 413. There is a marked photo below that shows engine ID locations. Mechanical parts for this vehicle are generally all still available. Most of the hard to find items are things like body parts and trim items. www.smsautofabrics.com has most of the cloth and vinyl materials in stock.

Dave

MoparEngineIdentification.jpg

Thanks for the info and the link! I’ll have a tough time sleeping tonight thinking about all that chrome

Rust, rust, and more rust! Even if it's a lifelong Texas car.

The rockers are usually where the rust starts on these cars. Replacement rockers are available, but it's a big job to install them.

The gutter around the trunk lid is another problem area. I don't believe that any off the shelf repair panels are available for this, and will need to be fabbed from scratch. If the gutter is gone, the trunk floor will be gone too.

Front floors. These cars were leakers, especially around the front windshield. The dog leg at the base of the windshield where the front doors open is also a bad spot for rust, and may be hidden under the stainless trim.

Tops of the front fenders near the headlamps. A very common rust area.

If the car is rusty, I would pass and hold out for a better one. They do come up for sale fairly often in the southwest, where you can find a solid car for a reasonable price.

If the car is solid, you can find the rest of the parts it needs if stuff is missing. It can take time, but the parts are out there.

I think I may know which car you are talking about, and it is quite rough if I'm remembering correctly, but I can't recall how bad it was rust-wise.

Jeff

Parts are going to be extremely hard to find, you need to get the most complete car you can. No broken exterior plastic, you want a complete interior as possible, is the dash a trashed out POS, door panels, etc.? Things like that. Rust is the other issue, look for hidden rust in trunk & engine comp; how's the frame? Good Luck

Rust, rust, and more rust! Even if it's a lifelong Texas car.

The rockers are usually where the rust starts on these cars. Replacement rockers are available, but it's a big job to install them.

The gutter around the trunk lid is another problem area. I don't believe that any off the shelf repair panels are available for this, and will need to be fabbed from scratch. If the gutter is gone, the trunk floor will be gone too.

Front floors. These cars were leakers, especially around the front windshield. The dog leg at the base of the windshield where the front doors open is also a bad spot for rust, and may be hidden under the stainless trim.

Tops of the front fenders near the headlamps. A very common rust area.

If the car is rusty, I would pass and hold out for a better one. They do come up for sale fairly often in the southwest, where you can find a solid car for a reasonable price.

If the car is solid, you can find the rest of the parts it needs if stuff is missing. It can take time, but the parts are out there.

I think I may know which car you are talking about, and it is quite rough if I'm remembering correctly, but I can't recall how bad it was rust-wise.

Jeff
Oh it’s got the rust. I live in Houston, not the dry Texas. It’s been used as a sign outside of a junk yard for years. The guy I spoke to said it ran 2 years ago.
I should also be clear that this is not for Jay Leno’s garage. I have a $3k budget for a Lemons Rally car. I saw this one and it has style! No paint or headliner but that front end!!!
I can turn a wrench and get it running.
Attached is a pic of the driver wheel/door area and the worst rust spot I can see from the photos provided.

9CB0178D-670C-486B-BE35-6FBE70DE3B07.jpeg

If it is a two door and no structural rust it might be worth the effort. I would recommend looking for a solid low rust running car. I rather look for six months and find a nicer car than scrape my knuckles and have a partially disassembled project in the drive way in the same time frame.

From the photo, it will need a rocker and a patch for the lower part of the front fender. Check the bottoms of the doors as they were prone to rusting out.

Dave

Just to update, it was too much of a mess. central floor pan area disintegrating. I didn’t spot any other major rust issues but the corners were damp everywhere (it’s been rainy lately). No trunk key, the 1 key present didn’t work too well for anything.

Fuel tank was in the back seat, see thru holes. We did get it running briefly bottle feeding it, trans disconnected from the buttons. Sadly, it’s really complete even down to the wheels. All the chrome, badges etc were present and in decent shape.

Lots of good parts though I can post the seller info if wanted (it’s on the eBay also).

Back