Is anyone else depressed looking at new vehicles?

Just by chance I drove a new one for about 200 miles a few weeks ago. It was only the base model 3500, but I enjoyed the controls much more in this one than the full load truck. Heater controls were so much better as knobs instead of touch screen...

View attachment 630115

View attachment 630116
Did it have the shifter knob on the dash? I was horrified when I first encountered that. Who tf ever thought that was a good idea?

As a Design Engineer and self-proclaimed nerd, I am offended by your mis-characterization of nerds. Complain about new cars all you want, but everything in your third paragraph is wrong.

I apologize. It's my negative style of humor. I don't want to make anyone mad, just trying to be funny.

...but you have to agree some designers just come up with silly useless ideas? In pic, air vents are solid so you can't move them by hand. You have to do this....That's just silly, more dangerous and a time killer.
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 00-20-40 Video Facebook.png

Last edited:
I apologize. It's my negative style of humor. I don't want to make anyone mad, just trying to be funny.

...but you have to agree some designers just come up with silly useless ideas? In pic, air vents are solid so you can't move them by hand. You have to do this....That's just silly, more dangerous and a time killer.View attachment 631512

But you weren't wrong on most of it.

.but you have to agree some designers just come up with silly useless ideas? In pic, air vents are solid so you can't move them by hand. You have to do this....That's just silly, more dangerous and a time killer.
I think that's all consumer driven.

People want all the fancy toys, even the ones that don't make sense like that one. I don't quite understand it as I kind of like simplicity, but even the cheapest Kia or Hunyadi has all the electronic bells and whistles.

With cars all pretty much looking alike, there's not much else to do except out tech the competitors. When we bought our '19 Ford Edge, my wife was all excited over the electronics... She can attach her cell phone and play her music for example. I look at that as another failure point, but the amount of gee-whiz type electronic toys each car has got to be a draw for a lot of customers, especially for those that have been brought up surrounded by electronic tech.

I think that's all consumer driven.

People want all the fancy toys, even the ones that don't make sense like that one. I don't quite understand it as I kind of like simplicity, but even the cheapest Kia or Hunyadi has all the electronic bells and whistles.

With cars all pretty much looking alike, there's not much else to do except out tech the competitors. When we bought our '19 Ford Edge, my wife was all excited over the electronics... She can attach her cell phone and play her music for example. I look at that as another failure point, but the amount of gee-whiz type electronic toys each car has got to be a draw for a lot of customers, especially for those that have been brought up surrounded by electronic tech.
I remember when I was looking to order a new 3/4 ton Suburban (no longer available) and in 1994, I couldn’t accept the ‘digital dash’ climate control system that had a display of a man in the seat and you then had to cycle through displays to get the distribution that you wanted.

In 1995, they went back to 3 knobs and I promptly ordered one, it was a great vehicle, except for the absolute garbage Delco radio. I could have returned the truck under the lemon law, as I had the radio replaced 3 times, while under warranty.

Yes, I too am one that prefers simple.

I’m not depressed so much as I’m bored and disgusted. All the new cars look feel and drive the same. I still read Motor Trend and when they do comparisons, there’s not much left to differentiate anymore. When it’s all said and done, besides the size of the “infotainment screen” the differences come down to **** that only someone writing for the magazine would pay attention to. Have you noticed that the logos on the cars have become bigger? That’s so you know what you’re looking at. Otherwise you wouldn’t know the difference between a Ford and a Kia. I’m the first to admit that technology has made the newer cars and trucks better drivers and more reliable, but can’t they design better headlights? WTF? Enough with the LED slash lights.

but can’t they design better headlights? WTF? Enough with the LED slash lights.
I like that a fog light is twenty times brighter than the high beams on my old cars. I can't see well enough while driving one, then I have a billion candle power light coming at me!

Not bored or depressed with new vehicles at all. Picked up a 24 RAV 4 Hybrid while its no hot rod, it is a fuel miser. First new vehicle we've owned in 25 years, yes, all the gizmos and tech one could want / not want. Learned about the EDR (Event data recorder) seems harmless enough, just like any tech that starts with good intentions, and can turn on you one day. I find new tech and systems interesting. Battery innovations, motor generators, heat pump systems, but I'm weird like that!

If you want silly look at the genesis G60 shifter

With all this technology why on earth do the cars not alert the driver when they’re driving at night with no taillights???:wtf:

Outside of all the newer electronic gadgets late model cars have today, some good some bad, at least the engineers had the foresight make it easier to get to the fuse box, or in many cases, multiple fuse boxes.
Having easier access to the fuses is better then crawling under the dash or removing a glove box liner in the older cars.
Over time manufacturers must have known electronic failures were going to be more commonplace.

With all this technology why on earth do the cars not alert the driver when they’re driving at night with no taillights???:wtf:
I did read that one of the upcoming regs is to accomplish this in one of 3? ways, one of which is not lighting up the dash display at night unless lights are on.

Back