Is anyone else depressed looking at new vehicles?

I'm sure most of you have heard of drive by wire which replaces any mechanical connection of the steering wheel to the tires which came out in 2020 and now is standard on more 2024 cars. (Tesla, Lexus, Ferrari, etc). Its actually a Toyota invention but Tesla seems to be taking credit for it, just like autonomous vehicles.

JTEKT, owned by Toyota has been working on autonomous vehicles since 1987. First self parking in 1990's, (Lexus, then sold to Infiniti, Mercedes, BMW, others later). First self valet which has the car come to you (sold to BMW in 2015). First autonomous fleet "milk run" software (sold to Volvo in 2017) JTEKT still says today's technology just isn't there yet for a safe fully autonomous vehicle to be released....no matter what Tesla says.

Although drive by wire is more dangerous, especially in older vehicles, there are advantages, such as better mpg, lower weight, fewer parts needed, which will reduce car prices...right?

Next up is drive by wi-fi. Tesla, Toyota and others are working on it, however I don't see any advantages with that. Extremely dangerous in this day of hackers and bad wi-fi signals. I guess they don't even want the wire...hee, hee!

m8qnbZt-1024x504.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure most of you have heard of drive by wire which replaces any mechanical connection of the steering wheel to the tires which came out in 2020 and now is standard on more 2024 cars. (Tesla, Lexus, Ferrari, etc). Its actually a Toyota invention but Tesla seems to be taking credit for it, just like autonomous vehicles.

JTEKT, owned by Toyota has been working on autonomous vehicles since 1987. First self parking in 1990's, (Lexus, then sold to Infiniti, Mercedes, BMW, others later). First self valet which has the car come to you (sold to BMW in 2015). First autonomous fleet "milk run" software (sold to Volvo in 2017) JTEKT still says today's technology just isn't there yet for a safe fully autonomous vehicle to be released....no matter what Tesla says.

Although drive by wire is more dangerous, especially in older vehicles, there are advantages, such as better mpg, lower weight, fewer parts needed, which will reduce car prices...right?

Next up is drive by wi-fi. Tesla, Toyota and others are working on it, however I don't see any advantages with that. Extremely dangerous in this day of hackers and bad wi-fi signals. I guess they don't even want the wire...hee, hee!

View attachment 632410
Wireless control for vehicles can be jammed easily.

Wireless control for vehicles can be jammed easily.
I'm glad I'm almost 60 so I don't have to deal with future's new tech. Every year for the last 30yrs, average of 40,000 dead, over 2 million to the hospital each year. Sounds like a war, but its vehicle crashes in the USA.

New tech isn't reducing crashes, I think its causing them by false sense of security and lots of distractions.

After 1920 the death by car crash rate peaked in 1970 at 28 per 100,000 people. Dropped to 11 in 2014, then back up to 14 in 2021. And climbing.
Is it us? Or the cars?
????????????????????????????.

The Cybertruck is finally hitting the streets. While I love the tech in Tesla's. Elon is another story, seems there is a no sell clause for 1 yr. smh! I'm hoping fit and finish are improving in the vehicle shells.
1702572660641.png

seems there is a no sell clause for 1 yr. smh!
That's nothing new. From what I've read, Aston Martin has done that with their Valkyrie and Ford did a two year "no sell" with their GT.

It's for high end cars so they aren't flipped, especially when a car is limited production. Some cars have been ordered and then flipped for substantial profit before the car is even built. Car comes in... It's paid for and immediately transferred to a new owner. It probably keeps the dealers honest too. I've heard this has happened with the Rivian trucks.

I don't know how enforceable it is, but the car companies have lawyers on staff that can harass the crap out of you.

The Cybertruck is finally hitting the streets. While I love the tech in Tesla's. Elon is another story, seems there is a no sell clause for 1 yr. smh! I'm hoping fit and finish are improving in the vehicle shells.
View attachment 632520
That is the definition of ridiculous. It looks like a cheap plastic space truck on the bottom shelf in K-mart when I was about 5 yo.
@detmatt , why would you want to do something practical when you could make cool features like the infotainment adjustable vents.
Whoever lets these children design the external lighting on these jellybeans needs to be exiled to a shitty third world country, and sit for 14 hours a day with all the terrible shaped lights blinding them. After all, I get to stare at them for 10-14 hours a day, I would like to share.
Since the population of the world was not reduced by a pandemic we will now just use WiFi car controls to eliminate a portion of the population. They need to develop a sterility function in the infotainment center so these rabbits will quit reproducing.

View attachment 632520
Wow, PT Barnum was right...

So, was this atrocity conjured up by one of Musk's 11 children? Sure looks like a Kindergartner's refrigerator drawing. And here I thought the faceless body snatcher Tesla's were ugly. Question is, can you get one in purple? I'm sure the kid had different colored crayons.

So, was this atrocity conjured up by one of Musk's 11 children? Sure looks like a Kindergartner's refrigerator drawing. And here I thought the faceless body snatcher Tesla's were ugly. Question is, can you get one in purple? I'm sure the kid had different colored crayons.
C'mon, you're holding back, tell us how you really feel.

I couldn’t agree more! One thing is still true for me about electric cars, they are the most visually unappealing cars on the road and with what’s available today for itc cars that is a very high insult.

As a DD Ive considered finding a late 90s early 2000 model anything with the right blend of manual vs computer functions with a popular(available) drivetrain that you still can get replacement parts for. Buy a tired version with good interior and start replacing everything. Think 2000 Caddy STS/SLS 1 owner for 5K and add built 4.6 engine . Or anything with 3800. When I see what looks like a perfect late 90s car get auctioned for 10K it makes me really question the need to spend 50K on something that opens my rear trunk too slowly and the touchscreen radio by itself chooses AM when its cold.
If I rebuilt my Dodge Dakota from the tires up, it’d cost less than a fancy new truck—and I’d like it more.

I'm glad I'm almost 60 so I don't have to deal with future's new tech. Every year for the last 30yrs, average of 40,000 dead, over 2 million to the hospital each year. Sounds like a war, but its vehicle crashes in the USA.

New tech isn't reducing crashes, I think its causing them by false sense of security and lots of distractions.
New vehicles depress me, too. I sometimes envy my parents in that their eight-decade lifespans predated social media, excessive computer tech, autonomous vehicles, etc. Not to mention all the lookalike cars in fifty shades of gray. And the Cybertruck looks like a parody of itself.

Just last night, I mistook a late-model Chevy for a Hyundai.

If you don't have your eye on the Chinese market for vehicle offerings your missing real innovation. They are leaving all other vehicle manufacturers in the stone age. Importing is possible, service is a Bi*&*

If you don't have your eye on the Chinese market for vehicle offerings your missing real innovation. They are leaving all other vehicle manufacturers in the stone age. Importing is possible, service is a Bi*&*
No, thanks. Too many people have already bought Buick Envisions.

The Chinese do not innovate . They take.
Typical of my observations: I found a Chinese-made hammer next to an American-made Stanley. The latter was more expensive, but not in proportion to the differences between Chinese and U.S. incomes.

The CCP and its 100% government-owned "businesses" and universities are stealers of technology. They are in no way innovators. They copy very, very well. They keep the best for their domestic markets and ship the crap overseas.

Keep in mind, the child slave labor uses to build much of what they export.

Look for an "L" as the first character of the VIN, that indicates the vehicle was built in Red China. And, yes, the Envision and a couple of other Buick models are now built in China.

Back