New here - 67 Plymouth Fury VIP

I was thinking it was black too until I took a second look at the pic of the door jamb. I like it as much as if it was black, maybe even more now. Bummer that it may not have its original engine in it but it is possible (slightly) that somebody just swapped out the intake and carb back in the day.

I was thinking it was black too until I took a second look at the pic of the door jamb. I like it as much as if it was black, maybe even more now. Bummer that it may not have its original engine in it but it is possible (slightly) that somebody just swapped out the intake and carb back in the day.

Any other distinguishing features I could look for? Here's some better pics of the front of the engine:
29769226420_57506a9059_b.jpg

29949974862_d12dacc68b_b.jpg

Rest of the engine looks like this pic from Hemmings website:
1967PlymouthVIP_05_700.jpg

Mine:
29950158382_239f54a1e0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Sure enough on the 400. Looks like they slid the new 400 in under the old valve covers.

Can you buy just the seal for the sending unit, or is a whole new sending unit in order if that's the culprit?
Yes you can, and this can all be done easily without dropping the tank. Raise the rear end up high enough that you can crawl underneath. To check the retaining ring take a picture of the ring and post it here. We can tell you if it is a re-pop.

National Moparts. This is where I got my original retaining ring he will send you a new gasket too. Very reasonable price and very reputable. Don't bother trying to use or find it on the website just call him directly.

Last edited:
Sending unit looks fine. I'm guessing the RH vent tube shouldn't just have an open hole in it...

30038437756_fff964dcfd_b.jpg

29444483324_44ea9a091f_b.jpg

Don't sell the 400 short. One of the most easily-built engines, is the 'square' 400. Bore and stroke exactly match, doesn't take high-dollar aftermarket bits to make it go. Also has the advantage of more heat dissipation from the water jackets, since it doesn't have the bore of the 440. If it's what you have, go fer it. Make it your own. i've done several, and outside of total-numbers-matching originality, it looks right and if done properly actually has more potential than a 383.

That's good to know. I was reading up on it and it has strengthening ribs by the freeze plugs that seem to be desirable too. I wouldn't mind throwing a cam, intake, 4bbl, and headers/exhaust on it eventually just to wake it up.

Hell, just a mild factory purple-stick cam, 4-bbl intake and 2-1/2" dual exhaust will get you into 383 range. Wouldn't be a bad idea to freshen the heads, replace the valve seals head gaskets etc. while you're at it, and then you don't have to pull the whole thing apart.

Hey I put a brand new tank in my 68 and the vent had the same tiny hole in it. Just replace the hose and be done with it.

Yep I'm guessing that's probably the source of my leak. I'm getting low on fuel anyways, so I'll throw a length of hose on there tomorrow and fill 'er up to verify the fix.

OK what the hell carb is this? I can't find it anywhere...

The Holley that would've been attached to a 400 should be a 2210 but this is not one of those. Help? *edit* nevermind, Stromberg WWC3
30051048765_69cbc29810_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back