New member intro : '57 Desoto Firesweep

The upholstery work is just about done. They still need to make a cover for the spare tire and cover the lower portion of the trunk hinge mounts with carpet. I'll pick up the car in the morning. I attached some pictures below.

desoto work 261.jpgdesoto work 254.jpgdesoto work 255.jpgdesoto work 256.jpgdesoto work 257.jpgdesoto work 258.jpgdesoto work 259.jpgdesoto work 260.jpg

desoto work 261.jpg

desoto work 254.jpg

desoto work 255.jpg

desoto work 256.jpg

desoto work 257.jpg

desoto work 258.jpg

desoto work 259.jpg

desoto work 260.jpg

Beautiful!
attachment.php

The ONLY thing wrong is that the air valve should be @ 12 o'clock.
Or was 4 o'clock for a reason?

The upholstery work is just about done. They still need to make a cover for the spare tire and cover the lower portion of the trunk hinge mounts with carpet. I'll pick up the car in the morning. I attached some pictures below.
View attachment 37983

OH MY ......... !!!!!!! With all the high quality "restore to original" work you performed on the De Soto I was expecting to see the beautiful original style upholstery come back.
Nice work .... but a little to pink for me. I'll have to absorb it and adjust.

I am sure there will be nay-sayers on how I did the car, but as they say "it's my car". I'm not sure if the facebook video link I posted below will work on this site, but I listed it anyway. My face book name is Bill Eckenrode in case the link does not work. I also want to take a moment to thank all those that helped on the car but especially want to thank Ed Petrus, Rosy Stolowich and John Fowlie. It has been great working on the car which was started in February 2014 and completed in September 2014. Let the flames begin.....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=702204166526329

Why on earth would 'the flames' begin?

People on this board have been supportive and had positive comments from the beginning of your build not that you acknowledged many of them

Why on earth would 'the flames' begin?

People on this board have been supportive and had positive comments from the beginning of your build not that you acknowledged many of them

Mainly because the car was not done to original factory specs. I am sorry if you or others were not thanked enough. I thought I had sent a fair number of thanks to the group, but since I did not I wish to say thanks to all of the great members of this site for their support and positive comments.

. I thought I had sent a fair number of thanks to the group, but since I did not I wish to say thanks to all of the great members of this site for their support and positive comments.

I thought you were very appreciative of the comments left along the way and did well in acknowledging most of them.
I, for one, really appreciated and enjoyed following your progress through the many detailed photos and discriptions posted by you. THANKS ....!!!!
I don't feel the need to be "thanked" for saying ..... nice job.

I mainly concider myself one of the purest on this forum, but not in the strictest sense. I agree that a car built as a driver should be upgraded in the areas of safety and handling. My own cars all have received upgrades from their "as new" conditions. But I strive to keep the cosmetic appearance as close to "era correct" as possible.

Your interior is beautiful ..... nice job by your upholsterer. It appears as "period correct" for a "custom" interior of the time. If your happy ....... that's what counts.

I thought you were very appreciative of the comments left along the way and did well in acknowledging most of them.
I, for one, really appreciated and enjoyed following your progress through the many detailed photos and discriptions posted by you. THANKS ....!!!!
I don't feel the need to be "thanked" for saying ..... nice job.

I mainly concider myself one of the purest on this forum, but not in the strictest sense. I agree that a car built as a driver should be upgraded in the areas of safety and handling. My own cars all have received upgrades from their "as new" conditions. But I strive to keep the cosmetic appearance as close to "era correct" as possible.

Your interior is beautiful ..... nice job by your upholsterer. It appears as "period correct" for a "custom" interior of the time. If your happy ....... that's what counts.

Thanks, I sure have enjoyed the build and you hit the mark about attempting to be period correct. The Firesweep I had in '62 had the same patterns for the seats and door panels. It was a black and gold Firesweep and the interior matched. It did not have an upholstered trunk though. We went through a flood back in '94 and lost all of the photo albums and included were pictures of all the early cars. I recently located an old car club pal from back then and he said he thought he might have a picture or two of the car. So far, nothing from him, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again.

I keep saying that.
Period correct.
I am 100% firm in that about in appearance and major components. Use new and improved parts.
I even now allow Champion radiators into "Use new and improved parts" part of the equation when it's a driver, not a show queen.
That will set off some arguments.

Mainly because the car was not done to original factory specs. I am sorry if you or others were not thanked enough. I thought I had sent a fair number of thanks to the group, but since I did not I wish to say thanks to all of the great members of this site for their support and positive comments.

I was completely wrong Baker. I offer you a sincere and heartfelt apology

Love it, nice work front to back, top to bottom!

The '57 Desoto Firesweep Sportsman project is done

The 1957 Desoto Firesweep Sportsman is done.... I'm sure there will be a few things to do here and there, but I'm now enjoying the driving everyday. I just wanted to thank For C Bodies Only.com for allowing this space to present this project.

In addition, to the many members that have offered support and suggestions, I thank you very much.

I was very fortunate to have some great help on the car, including:

Rudy's Paint and Body, Mangum Rd. & Hardway St., Houston, TX 77092, 713 688-0624
Custom Polish & Chrome Plating, 424 Hill Rd, Houston, TX 77037, 832 770-4925
Advanced Auto Trim, 2612 Little York Rd., Houston, TX 77093, 713 694-5528

The project took about 7 months & more $$ than I want to admit to.

02/15/14 CAR ARRIVED FROM IOWA
02/28/14 COMPLETED ENGINE REPAIRS
03/26/14 STARTED FLOOR REPAIRS
04/11/14 COMPLETED FLOOR REPAIRS -16 DAYS
04/13/14 INSTALLED NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM
04/29/14 COMPLETED BRAKE REPAIRS
04/29/14 STARTED BODY & PAINT WORK
05/27/14 STARTED CHROME PLATING WORK
06/26/14 COMPLETED CHROME PLATING WORK – 30 DAYS
07/08/14 COMPLETED BODY & PAINT WORK – 70 DAYS
08/01/14 COMPLETED A/C INSTALLATION
08/10/14 COMPLETED INSTALLATION OF NEW GAS TANK AND 12 VDC PUMP
08/19/14 COMPLETED FRONT SUSPENSION REBUILD
08/27/14 STARTED UPHOLSTERY WORK
09/06/14 COMPLETED UPHOLSTERY WORK -10 DAYS

http://youtu.be/YK5DWrYw-iE

The 1957 Desoto Firesweep Sportsman is done.... I'm sure there will be a few things to do here and there, but I'm now enjoying the driving everyday. I just wanted to thank For C Bodies Only.com for allowing this space to present this project.

COOL ....... Very nice video. Now we know what a NEW 57 De Soto looks like.
Stay with us now Bill ........ Don't go away just because the project is finished. Maybe we can convince you that you need a Cbody now........ :lovestory:
Will.

Stunning video!

Very nice De Soto.

Will we see the car at Carlisle next July?

COOL ....... Very nice video. Now we know what a NEW 57 De Soto looks like.
Stay with us now Bill ........ Don't go away just because the project is finished. Maybe we can convince you that you need a Cbody now........ :lovestory:
Will.
Thanks. I will be checking the site often. OK on the "C" body, but I'll have to get a bigger garage first.

Back