New Member, New Polara

I hear you. However these cars are stone axe reliable, assess what you see and go from there.

For sure, yeah. I'd love it if the driveshaft harmonics allow the worn u joints to get home but I don't want to buzz the transmission and pinion bearings to bits because i'm lazy. We'll see, just waiting on the island to thaw out so i don't eat 500km of salt.

Actually while i'm here, do i need specialized tools for the driveshaft and differential plug or is it just standard hex or 12 point nuts? I'm going to be walking on the ferry to get up there so anything i take has to be carry on

Last edited:
Driveshaft strap will likely require a 3/8" wrench and maybe a big screwdriver to pop it loose once the straps are off. Diff plug is a square pipe plug around 3/4" or so - a big crescent is the go to tool here.

Just be sure to have the foot brake set when you pop the driveshaft loose. You loose the advantage of "park". I love your spirit of "drive it" home. Something I've done several times, with mixed results. Always an adventure though.

Well to be careful and drive up in the SUV with all my tools will cost about 500-600 bucks in ferry charges, vs just 140 to drive Big Blue back one way. Plus gas for both vehicles. So **** that. Besides, what's the point of hot rodding if not for doing stupid things for little practical reason?

Also it's a very symbolically important thing for me. I've been lusting after that car since i was 3, and nobody other than my grandfather has driven it since at least the early 90's, and even before then, rarely so. So to campaign it home myself would be a deeply meaningful thing regardless of the cost.

Last edited:
The XJ12 is a 4 door Vandenplas sedan, not the two door XJS. I had '93 XJS but it was the six cylinder. Awesome car. I believe the last year for the XJ12 sedan was '96. The XJS was made till '95 as a 6 cylinder. Then the XK8 came out in '96.

Your XJ6 looks very nice! Love those Jaguars!

The pic of your fender tag isn't so good. Maybe somebody with better eyes than mine can make it out.

The XJ12 is a 4 door Vandenplas sedan, not the two door XJS. I had '93 XJS but it was the six cylinder. Awesome car. I believe the last year for the XJ12 sedan was '96. The XJS was made till '95 as a 6 cylinder. Then the XK8 came out in '96.

Your XJ6 looks very nice! Love those Jaguars!

The pic of your fender tag isn't so good. Maybe somebody with better eyes than mine can make it out.

Is yours an XJ40 or XJ300? I thought that on the 'regular' jaguar Xj the last 12 was the last of the series 3's in 92, and the 12 finally dying with the XJS (barring the derrived version in Aston Martins along with the AJ8)

The XJS was produced up to the end with the 6 Liter 12 and 4l80E, although compared to the AJ6 cars, they're exceptionally rare.

Last edited:
I guess technically it's an XJ 300 I just call it a XJ12. Lol if I said XJ300 nobody would know what the hell I'm talking about.
It is a V12 though.

Your door plate says the car has a 383. (Letter G)

The fender tag data plate can be decoded by a number of people here so I won't try, as I'll likely get it wrong.

Regarding the paint - your car has had some work done on the engine bay, as it technically should be body colour all the way - no blackout used except on the front of the radiator support behind the grille. Your front inner fenders and firewall are black, which is not seen on 66 C bodies. Always body colour.

Your engine is the correct for Canada red, and you already have factory dual exhaust, so just fix that up if required and enjoy it.

I'd be interested to see if it was truly a woodgrain delete car, because all the body trim is there that would have outlined it originally, so it's odd (but not unusual for Mopar) to have had that trim installed but no woodgrain. The fender tag will reveal some of that. Look under the back seat to see if there's a build sheet stuck in there. That will also be a great find with lots of info.

Keep us posted!

The fender tag data plate can be decoded by a number of people here so I won't try, as I'll likely get it wrong.
I'll work on it tonight, taking apart a car right now. It is a 383 2bbl with a basic MusicMaster radio, that's all I looked at so far

@Stev you can use this decoder for your car. Note some codes might not be accurate, or they will list two or three, depending on what option the car got (similar last numbers for different codes).

polqara%20022.jpg

Mine.....…...12 years ago.

Back