New member with 77 Newport

One last thing I fantasize about doing is to drop my stub frame and detailing it and the engine compartment to show quality.

But that ain't gonna happen.

Well now I have the opportunity to clean up the engine compartment lol!

Nice work, it'll be interesting to see what it brings in the end.

Or I may just drive it for the summer lol!

I like that you willing to repair what's needed via passing it in for the new owner to deal with. Means you care about the hobby and these old cars. Nice work.

Yes I do, I can not in good conscious sell a car with hidden issues, especially internal engine problems. I also got a new idler arm for it lol.

Too bad you didn't live south of the border....I have some work for you.

It all depends on the amount of work someone needs as you're U.S. dollar sure goes a long way up here. I have one client in Maine for a partial restoration.

So I did the tear down of the 440 today and found a few interesting things.

There was an extra connecting rod nut sitting in the pan, usually if I put an engine together and drop a rather important fastener such as this I search for it until it's found. This leads me to believe it was done on the assembly line, most likely on a Friday afternoon.

The engine came apart really easily, didn't even need a pri-bar to lift the heads off the block. The head gaskets are marked with the Pentastar so I will assume they are original (who goes to the dealership for head gaskets? lol)

Another by-product of these Lean Burn engines, wore out exhaust valves. Heads going into the rebuilders for a re-fresh.

Also the cam bearings had some nasty nicks and gouges, again a sing of a lazy uncaring engine builder. They didn't take the time to insert the cam with the care it requires.

And if anyone here are in the London, Ontario area on Saturday the 29th this guy is having an auction of several Mopars, including some C bodies. I will try and make it and see what these sell for.

Chrysler /dodge car auction | classic cars | London | Kijiji

cheers

Well now I have the opportunity to clean up the engine compartment lol!

Or I may just drive it for the summer lol!

Yes I do, I can not in good conscious sell a car with hidden issues, especially internal engine problems. I also got a new idler arm for it lol.

It all depends on the amount of work someone needs as you're U.S. dollar sure goes a long way up here. I have one client in Maine for a partial restoration.

So I did the tear down of the 440 today and found a few interesting things.

There was an extra connecting rod nut sitting in the pan, usually if I put an engine together and drop a rather important fastener such as this I search for it until it's found. This leads me to believe it was done on the assembly line, most likely on a Friday afternoon.

The engine came apart really easily, didn't even need a pri-bar to lift the heads off the block. The head gaskets are marked with the Pentastar so I will assume they are original (who goes to the dealership for head gaskets? lol)

Another by-product of these Lean Burn engines, wore out exhaust valves. Heads going into the rebuilders for a re-fresh.

Also the cam bearings had some nasty nicks and gouges, again a sing of a lazy uncaring engine builder. They didn't take the time to insert the cam with the care it requires.

And if anyone here are in the London, Ontario area on Saturday the 29th this guy is having an auction of several Mopars, including some C bodies. I will try and make it and see what these sell for.

Chrysler /dodge car auction | classic cars | London | Kijiji

cheers

Thanks for the updates, keep us posted.

Didn't make it to the auction :(

But I did make it to the machine shop :)

Got the block and heads back and started assembling them today.

20170503_100600_zps1igopayu.jpg

Checking the end play on the crank.

20170503_153300_zps8myjqdyi.jpg

Bottom end all secure!

20170503_155341_zpsqabql4zu.jpg

Heads all rebuilt,

20170503_162848_zpsbkamru8y.jpg

Should have it all back in the car and running for the weekend!

cheers

Well we got it back in the car today,

If you look closely you will notice that the oil dipstick tube is not installed. Pro tip = install it BEFORE dropping the engine in the chassis. If you don't the engine has to be lifted and the left engine mount needs to be removed to put it back in LOL.

Almost ready to fire but other shop projects got in the way,

plus the battery needs charging so it will wait until tomorrow :)

cheers

Wow! You don't waste any time.

That other project looks nice too!

I'm just starting to gather the stuff I need to stroke a 400 to a 451.

I won't be working as fast as you. LOL!

If you look closely you will notice that the oil dipstick tube is not installed. Pro tip = install it BEFORE dropping the engine in the chassis. If you don't the engine has to be lifted and the left engine mount needs to be removed to put it back in
Novice.... :poke:

:lol:

It's in the muffler shop getting a new dual exhaust system installed :)

The muffler that was on it was making too much back pressure, most likely a few baffles got loose and plugged it up. This should sort it out!

And I found out while driving it there that the cruise works LOL!

cheers

Back