New Restoration: '66 Newport

70 FuselageImperial Quote..."Are you serious or joking?? The guy is obviously a Chrysler enthusiast - plain and simple; what does it matter if his car is not some high $$$ garage queen not "worthy" of a rebuild? Many of us are into old Chryslers/Mopars b-e-y-o-n-d the dollar value calculation....hardcore Mopar junkies who love getting greasy, dirty, and tired, while rebuilding and enjoying our particular ride no matter what it happens to be".

sorry, lost it there. just tired of this type of attitude splitting up the "movement".

Has2bmopar quote..... "Keep a patient and consistant eye on Craigslist, ebay, etc. You may even stumble accross something you like better.

70FuselageImperial,

Yet another rant without any comprehension of what they are reading.

You are... can't even continue typing fricken angry for which of your wild made up B.S. conclusions from the clear blue, that hold no merit???

Who can label anyone "OBVIOUSLY a Chrysler enthusiast" with one very vague discription of ONE car. This same person could have 34 Packards in his collection, so he just well could be a Packard enthusiast. Plain and so very simple isn't it?

Read... I was suggesting that he should look for a better car to start his project i.e. one that doesn't lack structural integrity needing A COMPLETE floor pan. "Worthy" was a term never used or insinuated by myself. Feasible would fit my suggestion, as he very likely can find a car just like his present one, but in fair enough condition that he could afford to have a SHOP restore it.

The initial suggestion supports that he would be looking for another '66 Newport, as it questions a possibility that he may stumble accross something else that he MAY like better.

So, we are still talking about my suggestion that finds him in the end with a nice '66 NEWPORT, so obviously it doesn't matter to me if this is some high dollar car. Where the hell in my post did I tell him he should buy a GTX or a Charger R/T or any "high dollar garage queen"???

Exactly how far beyond the value of your car are into your car? Really? Is it over 3x b-e-y-o-n-d the value calculation? I'm going to reach into this blue sky of random conclusions of yours and say no. Again this makes your rude criticism wrong about myself.

Sorry you should be, as you did lose it there, and I'm really tired of the apparent "movement" of illiterate people that can't comprehend simple sentances and act so very indignant, not having any real issues to ridicule someone, so they just make sh*t up. G-E-N-I-U-S and so much lacking in character.

Has2bmopar, If you knew me personally, you would not use the term “illiterate” so lightly, but perhaps this could be a good occasion for us to get know each other better, fellow mopar to fellow mopar, open invite?

Now, I truly believe you made the statement “(The project you are talking of surpasses what the car is worth, even if it is a convertible)” innocently and without malicious intent. Clearly, you possess great skill, technical expertise and resources, and your only intent apparently was to share the benefits of such with someone else. Commendable, I get it.

However, I think it is important to understand and remain sensitive to the fact some may not be your equal nor would they have resources available to you (or perhaps financial priorities) and therefore may not make the same instantaneous decision about the worth of a vehicle as you did in your recommendation. It is extremely easy to dispatch enthusiasm and love a vehicle with a single word or group of words. So who are we to deny someone of that?

A word or two on my own exploits: I don't see these fine old examples of Chrysler automotive engineering and design with financial lenses on my eyes. My current ride, a 70’ Chrysler Newport, surely would not qualify (not by a long shot from what I guess) as a car worthy of any undue attention; never mind a complete nuts and bolt restoration, by, sadly enough, many who would have us call them “Chrysler enthusiasts”. My car is 383 2dr coup model w/ a few nice options, not a stripper model mind you, but I don’t expect she’ll ever make the cover of Mopar Muscle or any other likewise automobile quarterly.

Does that matter to me?

NOT in the slightest, I love her for exactly what she is. I have already surpassed the amount I paid for her (by a factor of multitudes) in the form of upgrades, parts and plain old sweat equity. Hopefully, that will provide you with a good approximation of exactly how far “beyond the value” of my car I into. Perhaps you will call that foolish, so be it, you may call it what you will.

My beef (not with you- but in general) is such that it is disheartening to no end watching what once was an intense breed of people endeared together with the love for their Chrysler product, deteriorate into high dollar, E Bay, Barrent-Jackson, flip value investors who’s only REAL care is that of future value and not the name label. Of course I realize there are some cars with historical pedigree that demand a prestige valuation for the simple fact of the rarity of their existence. Nonetheless, we can see how this has transformed into pure greed when you happen to cross someone trying to sell their long dead grandmother’s 69’ 4dr Fury I with a beaten down 200K mile 2bbl 318 cu in motor and trashed interior for $6K or $7K.

So my overall point is this; we should look at EVERYONE'S ride as if it were gilded, and seek not to make microsecond assumptions connected to a monetary value.

polara71

No, I do agree, I absolutely worded it poorly, it certainly was never intended to be negative in any way, and yes it is out there, but also from the beginning my positive intent is also still there. This atmosphere is new to me and I need to read my posts before pushing send.

You were the first to bite my *** for being too harsh, and you were on point and I accepted that, excluding an interpretation that this was just 4 floor pans, and and not the major dismemberment of a unibody that a complete floor replacement would be. The two others initially just jumped on board like a pack of dogs and ripped into my character with completely baseless rants or just misreading my post. That is why I picked it apart, so they could see it. Never will I not defend myself on a point where I am not in the wrong, and I'm here apologizing for the points where I was. You yourself are still on me but you are not just shooting completely blind, and I fully accept the points that hold water. However, I think if you reread your own latest posts you will see hits and misses of tact in your own statements. "You deserve to be slammed"... Really???

I think the whole statement that detmat just underlined is too harsh and I certainly could have worded it better. Reading it after the fact it is far too blunt and it isn't tied with any glimmer of inspiration until the very end. Also I must say I'm very impressed with detmats second response to my defensive post and it reflects well on him. Also thanks to rexus31 for a constructive, tactful criticism... Both of these posts are very well taken and appreciated.

My statement wasn't to tell him his car is not worth the money to fix it, I was trying to get him to his goal of having the car he wanted in a finished state by the best route, and the least amount of money for the best possible finished goal. I do this for a living, we have redone vehicles to make "clones" of someone's high school car or their Dad's car or pickup, whatever it may have been. Even though it may not be the "actual" vehicle from their past, it has the same look, feel and character that gives them the warm and fuzzies that bring back the memories that made them like the vehicle in the first place.

Again... My original statement... worded poorly, I do apologize for this. My intentions were from the begining... IF his car needed a complete full floor pan the definite best route that I see...Again, as this is what I do for a living, is that he can make "his" car with another '66 Newport to begin his project and be a substantial amount of money ahead with a better finished product. They were well made cars and if the colors and options were made the same it would be hard to tell the difference from one to the other, even if you were looking for it.

Last edited:
:soapbox:With all the effort going into this p*ssing match, does anyone have a constructive answer to Bigdogg2g as far as suggestions for the floorboard replacement? So far only Fratzog has been helpful to him.:thumbsup:

70FuselageImperial,

Thanks for the civil response again to my angry defensive post, it is well taken.

You do hit another issue that I worded poorly and was interpreted differently than my true beliefs. As you may have just read again, I was trying to get him to his goal of having a restored '66 Chrysler by what I will always feel is the best route, if indeed his car is as bad off as I think it may be from his description, and having a shop do it for him it will be very expensive, and even when you start with a car as nice as your $1000 '70 Chrysler or the $1000 '67 New Yorker that I did myself, it costs dearly. There is way more invested in this New Yorker than it could be ever be sold for... but it never will be sold and having the herd of Mopars that you have, you know you never seem to be done, so it continues, but it is worth it. This guy can can have "his" car really nice in the end game by finding and starting with a better "core" or base body with a little patients and a keen eye.

70FuselageImperial,

Thanks for the civil response again to my angry defensive post, it is well taken.

You do hit another issue that I worded poorly and was interpreted differently than my true beliefs. As you may have just read again, I was trying to get him to his goal of having a restored '66 Chrysler by what I will always feel is the best route, if indeed his car is as bad off as I think it may be from his description, and having a shop do it for him it will be very expensive, and even when you start with a car as nice as your $1000 '70 Chrysler or the $1000 '67 New Yorker that I did myself, it costs dearly. There is way more invested in this New Yorker than it could be ever be sold for... but it never will be sold and having the herd of Mopars that you have, you know you never seem to be done, so it continues, but it is worth it. This guy can can have "his" car really nice in the end game by finding and starting with a better "core" or base body with a little patients and a keen eye.

Indeed, we are very much on the same page my friend....esp. with the "you know you never seem to be done" thing......and how!:sFun_doh2:

Water under the bridge, now let's see who else we can scare away. That guy probably already sold the car and started making bird feeders!

You all were doing fine without me...
Nice that others are finally picking up the slack of being the forum curmudgeon.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

I do realize my responses were over the top and I sincerely apologize again to those involved.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

I do realize my responses were over the top and I sincerely apologize again to those involved.

No sweat, Apology accepted! I'd be lieing if I said I never let something come out of my mouth the wrong way.

Still Here!

Still here guys! Just been working on other projects too. I'm a motorcycle enthusiast as well. I did reply back, didn't come through I guess. But I appreciate feedback. Negative and Positive. Helped me think about it...AND...I'm still going to restore it! Found a guy who can do the work. It's called "PERSERVERANCE"...naysayers

Glad your still here and haven't moved on to making birdhouses.

Back