New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Youngest has big event Monday afternoon. Trip postponed until Tuesday. Gives me the weekend clear to work on the old girl. New high side hoses should be ready tomorrow.

Life is about timing .......

50FD2279-5157-4363-9FD8-D0A011F2B983.jpeg

I just dropped a ton on her hot rod Mercedes. New blower fan, tires, tail lights, steering wheel, shifter and a full tank of gas all on Saturday. She is happy now but we are all very nervous for my youngest as she picks her school and is getting interviewed for a few award scholarships. She’s also going through root canal work today.

Not yet. Almost.

I need to get the Jag into the shop first and then it will be all roses and kisses.

Timing.

Last edited:
Guess what.......

51440513-7B8C-4576-A783-AF03595885B1.jpeg

Lower dash is out.......

3E677A0F-D727-45C5-95DF-DFAEB864C114.jpeg

So is the evaporator. Interesting is that it came out without the need to pull the seat. It also came out by rotating it from the top rather than the bottom. Once off the interior support bracket, it simply rotated and pulled out from the passenger footwell.

CAC1AC87-F846-42E4-BDD7-FFFEB6D30468.jpeg

Problem. The replacement core was banged around in shipping. It’s obviously been in the box for a long time and could have been banged up before it was shipped. Also, need to transfer the brackets and plates. Not too bad all in all. A little heat, a little pressure should set it right.

A908F7D1-5DC8-4D14-9841-AF4D0F03FEED.jpeg

The old evap is all aluminum. The recycle man won’t know what hit him.

896E11CA-84EB-41DF-BBE0-B3258938C654.jpeg

Close up of dented return line.

F29CA335-8C39-42C0-8A3F-F80AB19A8931.jpeg

Heater core looks brand new.

Last edited:
Test fit day.... evap and heater core.

All in except for the bottom plate and box attachment plate for the evaporator inlet. The new non oem evaporator did not come with any of the air containment plates or the mounting bracket for the unit to the box. I will need to adapt or fabricate them to get the evaporator in and work properly and securely with no rattles.

Both the top and bottom plate are critical in directing all the air volume from the blower through the evaporator.

The top plate allows the cover to seal and secures that seal with two screws.

The bottom plate seals against the fire wall side of the box and prevents air from blower to get around the evaporator. It also serves to collect the condensate and allow it to drip into the depressed area of the box which serves as a drip pan and collector to the drain. The bottom plate also has a downward turned drip edge to aid in the collection and direction of the condensate into the pan below.

The mounting plate does three jobs. It covers the opening to the box from the fire wall side. It also serves as a backing plate for the foam rubber seal of the box to the firewall and; it secures the manifold end of the evaporator coil to the box.

756D1738-44ED-44B1-8277-06D2E02345C2.jpeg

Here is the defrost door vacuum motor. It looks like brand new. You can tell this car slept inside for most of its life. I had already tested it and the direction door motor for any vacuum leaks prior to removal. You can also see that almost all the connections were left alone in the removal.... except.....

ADC8E980-7924-460C-A7E6-8A20BC91C961.jpeg

The outside air door motor and position switch vacuum connections. Here’s where the pictures I took will come in handy.

You can also make out the electronic amplifier. I will be removing it to install the replacement unit. The original working amplifier that I got with the salvaged air box became quite warm in the 20 or so minutes I was testing it. I’m thinking of drilling some holes to allow for some cooling air leakage. Electronics hate heat.

DBD8689F-23BE-44A8-9218-949B6B71AE6E.jpeg

You can see here how not having the bottom plate in will allow the air coming off the blower to escape underneath the evaporator.

62F43FB6-5FFE-4546-A0F2-9B11B4CEF28B.jpeg

This is the bottom plate in its proper orientation.

4D6198E7-610D-4EB4-A257-872A9E4E4B32.jpeg

I found the leak in the evaporator to be coming from one of the supply side manifold lines. It’s very difficult to weld or repair aluminum as any oil or contaminate will render the weld porous. Believe me...I’ve tried.

AF087951-EBF9-4BF6-801A-FA106BED35D8.jpeg

Initial test fit overview. Top plate in place.

F84EAB8B-F00A-451F-94C1-F5121B8FF6A9.jpeg

Bottom plate in its proper orientation awaiting second fit placement. With any luck it will all come together smoothly now.

Last edited:
That is definitely the plan......Along with testing the ATC to make sure its up and running correctly after taking it partially apart.
Ugly work schedule... I'm impressed by the details you've been providing this thread. BTW, I still have some stuff in the parts stash for this car... eventually I'll be digging it out and getting rid of it. Probably sometime after July.
50fd2279-5157-4363-9fd8-d0a011f2b983-jpeg.jpg

Ugly work schedule... I'm impressed by the details you've been providing this thread. BTW, I still have some stuff in the parts stash for this car... eventually I'll be digging it out and getting rid of it. Probably sometime after July.
View attachment 179708
Me too. And the pressure of wanting to be with my family are keeping me from finishing as quickly as I would like. This is also not the only wheeled or other type of “girl” vying for my attention.

EI....Yesterday my cousin flew in for the day so I only got only some of the morning to do work.

Goal for today is to wrap up the air box.

But first I have to pick up my daughter from a friends house where she spent the night.

In case you were wondering. I did change both tail lights on my wife’s car.

image.jpg

Got back and went with wife to visit her mom. Earning my points.

Also finally replaced the broken turn signal,cruise control switch.

2AA1025C-835B-4659-A6E6-57AAB4C63D02.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome threads! Keep up the good work....
I also want to be the fly on the wall when you lay it on your wife about this car!:rofl:

Back