New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Of course you knew what it was.... nobody wants to guess after you weigh in.....although two did brave it.

It’s a vacuum operated compressor with integral reservoir.... Delco part. Mid 60’s to late 70’s (“77 to be precise) design. But it’s the same pump system that Mopar used with a remote reservoir under the car.

Leveling valve is also the same. However, Mopar places the sensor at the axle just inside the left front leaf spring perch. I will be placing it on the body just ahead of the differential. Mopar method not good if parked on anything other than flat ground. Stay tuned as the rest of the parts start coming in.

Last edited:
No. Let's not go there again. Lol... An air shock is an air shock. Regardless if I level the car myself after putting tons of stuff and people in it, or that contraption does it for me.
My T and C had that setup on it. The shocks were mounted exactly the same as any other shock.

No. Let's not go there again. Lol... An air shock is an air shock. Regardless if I level the car myself after putting tons of stuff and people in it, or that contraption does it for me.
My T and C had that setup on it. The shocks were mounted exactly the same as any other shock.
Manual air shocks don't constantly adjust the ride as you drive, tho. That is the difference in my mind.

In my mind, the more you over think the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain. If my car came from the factory with the auto leveling system, like my T and C did, you can bet your *** I'd have it working properly.
Mine didn't, so I took the path of least resistance. Cost me a whole $67.00 from shock warehouse.

A version of that system came as on option on the 74-78 C bodies. I’m just going to do it a bit better..... and simpler.

I would use bags instead of shocks. Now there is a nice ride!

Maybe next time. I thought about it as a possible companion to our “torsion quiet ride’. But, to do right, I’d have to reconfigure the rear suspension. Change out leaf springs to something akin to GM’s coil spring set up but with bags.

Otherwise, it would just be a bagged lifter system and not a suspension.

Big difference between auto leveling air assisted system and air suspension. And you’ll remember.... I know crazy suspension systems intimately....

But please.... tease me with what is possible.

Back