New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

So question on this auto leveling system:

A lot of people on the online forums (well A and B body forums) frown upon load lever-ers and air shocks because these devices add additional load to the shock mount crossmember. Some say to the point that the crossmember could/would fail since that cross member wasnt designed to take that load, the spring mount points were. Did Chrysler redesign that cross member for the Formal Years? or is this the crossmember the same/similar to the fuseluge years? Are you going to add any stiffeners/bracing to the crossmember for this modification?

So question on this auto leveling system:

A lot of people on the online forums (well A and B body forums) frown upon load lever-ers and air shocks because these devices add additional load to the shock mount crossmember. Some say to the point that the crossmember could/would fail since that cross member wasnt designed to take that load, the spring mount points were. Did Chrysler redesign that cross member for the Formal Years? or is this the crossmember the same/similar to the fuseluge years? Are you going to add any stiffeners/bracing to the crossmember for this modification?

Great questions!

Unfortunately, I have only empirical answers at the moment.

I was not planning on reinforcing or stiffening the cross member supports/mounting points for the shocks. I’m only looking to level out about 300 to 500 lbs of girls and gas such that each would only see about 250 lbs of vertical load. But I may, if I see I need to.

Don’t know about crossmember redesign for formals but since I was planning a similar system to the stock available option, I figured it was designed to take the load.

Right now.....

I’m just past the wild hair stage of development on this and just beginning the procurement process for needed parts and supplies.

Then will come the mock-up/modification and execution stage...

To be followed by testing.

Done this a few times with success.

Stay tuned.

Considering the the NYB was rated to haul a large Winnebago with the available self leveling suspension, I can't for the life of me believe the upper shock mounts need additional reinforcement.
Let's not make this a fustercluck, boys.
K. I. S. S.

Great questions!

Unfortunately, I have only empirical answers at the moment.

I was not planning on reinforcing or stiffening the cross member supports/mounting points for the shocks. I’m only looking to level out about 300 to 500 lbs of girls and gas such that each would only see about 250 lbs of vertical load. But I may, if I see I need to.

Don’t know about crossmember redesign for formals but since I was planning a similar system to the stock available option, I figured it was designed to take the load.

Right now.....

I’m just past the wild hair stage of development on this and just beginning the procurement process for needed parts and supplies.

Then will come the mock-up/modification and execution stage...

To be followed by testing.

Done this a few times with success.

Stay tuned.

Good stuff here! I think reinforcing of the mounting points is needed only when the car is going to face serious abuse like hopping with hydraulics. That`d mean that you`re good to cruise if the shocks/bags are used as levelers.

Came home from getting the Christmas tree... in the wagon... after I gave the wagon a much needed wash.

And someone got jealous....

She keeps this up and I swear I’m going to pull her head off.

I may change her name from old girl to old *****....

Didn't you replace the head gaskets in the last year?

No, I have not pulled the heads.

I thought I had a leaking cylinder about 6 months ago due to it running warm and boiling over at shut down and some coolant loss. I tested it and it came up fine. No exhaust in the coolant, good compression all around and no coolant in the oil.

The PO obviously did some head work before I got it. The heads have no paint on them at all.

I think, perhaps, he did not do a good job. I hate PO work because you never really know what they did.

I started the car and tapped the gas to bring the rich idle down and the belts started squealing like a stuck pig. I thought maybe a belt jumped a groove. When I opened the hood I was greated with what I posted. A pinhole leak coming between the head and block.

I will be pulling the heads soon enough. Ivan needs a Christmas just like everyone else I guess. Meantime I need to be able to move it and drive it.

Put some block sealer in and it seems to be holding. Took two minutes after I put it in after warm up.

Let’s see if it holds.

Last edited:
Nice. Go ahead. Plug up your heater core... Your NEW heater core. :BangHead:
Always with the happy thoughts Stan....

and I saved the new one and went with one of the old ones after pressure testing it, of course.
spank-2101.gif

On the bright side... You've finally found the excuse to pull the heads... I'm looking forward to the blueprinting thread... :poke:

I'm sure you will but I would replace the valve guides and seals and get a valve job on the heads since you'll have them off.

Back