New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Here you go....

C3CDFC96-2BC9-4C7D-BDAC-4AB87652F0A3.jpeg

Took the wife to COSTCO and managed to park only half way home. Figured I’d update the thread with latest little projects.

I had bought a later model radio refurbished with Bluetooth to replace the eight track. However, I was never able to get the Bluetooth to work. I received the replacement radio on Friday and managed the switch yesterday. New unit working fine.

While I was at it, I touched up the silver edging on the dash, refinished the gear indicator needle, cleaned all the vents, cleaned the edge of the dash pad hidden under the metal cover, installed some new foam that seperates the dash idiot lights, reset the breaker for the lighter socket (like who the hell knew it had a breaker!),polished the Speedo lens and put it all back together managing not to have any extra screws.

B1A23B4A-43DD-4193-95CF-7F026A5CF7CC.jpeg

Here’s the silver gilding pen I used.

ED657273-A9F9-47F6-8ACB-992E20B2592A.jpeg

6DD805AA-3B4E-4CC2-B49B-6F345B90FE5C.jpeg

Last edited:
Next little project.....

Sunroof cars have no dome lights and the red interior is dark....

So....

Leftover from one of my old cars...

2505FA18-9957-4673-A6A9-441548E6AEC2.jpeg

5F4B4ECD-8B42-4DEA-A0EF-1F280B335644.jpeg

According to the FSM (page c28 of the electrical Service manual), the dome light connector is on the left rear wheel well.

Will need to pull seat to get it I think. If Chrysler had any logic to the wiring it should be just behind seat back.

This fixture (ironically...from a LINCOLN) is set up for intermittent power and not ground for the dome portion of the fixture.
This will easily change to work with my wiring by disconnecting the ground on the fixture and using the existing body grounds to mount the fixture to the bottom of the sunroof metal pan for the map/reading light portion of the fixture.

Here’s the goal....

FDB95352-8FFE-4C16-8D8A-2AF9DBF2A949.jpeg

First test the circuits to confirm what I’m seeing in the fixture... this is reading light

F916A521-4B50-43AB-9E1D-DD19BF685237.jpeg

This is the dome light portion. Note ground is the same.

72750AE2-A315-4F62-89C1-1888BB6CD39A.jpeg

Just to see how it will look.

Next... check that sunroof pan is well grounded..... should be.

It is...

94508B98-73DA-40EC-989D-7B1A27C5DB2B.jpeg

Ok enough for today.... finished washing the kitchen window screens and my time is up for today.

Tomorrow.... pull the rear seat to find t connector. Measure length... Go to junkyard for connector and possible harness doubt they changed it much through the years and there should be an old m body to donate the plug. (I could just splice it into the rear reading light circuit but that would be like “cheating”.) Bring back plug to wire into harness.

Last edited:
Did that go above the rear view mirror in the Lincoln? Looks similar to a GM unit, maybe a little different angle for the map/reading lights.

Last edited:
Very similar mid 70’s GM. My ‘77 Seville had one.

Did that go above the rear view mirror in the Lincoln? Looks similar to a GM unit, maybe a littlendiflittle angle for the map/reading lights.

The unit I have was mounted in the center of the roof to act as a dome and reading light in a mid 70’s Mark IV..

Very nice, Jav! Love your using a very appropriate looking yet very useful lamp fixture.

I plan on using one of these two...

Screenshot_2018-12-23-19-02-51.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, Jav! Love your using a very appropriate looking yet very useful lamp fixture.

Thanks! Anything else would look wrong. I used the one in the Seville all the time. Very useful indeed.

But really, without a dome light, it’s dark as hell in there.

Back