New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Thinking thermostat and...

Fd665178b5.jpg

My attention is on the fan clutch. The one in the wagon has much more friction when it comes on than the one in the NYB. Also you can actually hear the bloody thing go off with a howl when it does. This one... nada and, although I get some friction to turn, it’s the same throughout the temp cycle.

Bumped the timing up another 2 degrees...generally drives about the same... except..... WOT... then... more magic... now it feels more like a 440.

I think I’m reaching diminishing returns. Still no ping. Drove it like a maniac for about 20 minutes and no overheat but still way too warm for me.

These low compression RB engines like a little advance and cool temps.

Except for the temp issue.... very happy today.

Last edited:
Just a thought, Javier, how do you know that there isn't something wrong with the gauge or sender? Maybe your deliverability issues with the lean burn may also be affected by a bad temp sensor. Does the car vomit/spitup coolant after a hard drive? Do you hear it boiling over like an old fashioned coffee pot? Have you checked it against a real thermometer?
Just a thought....

Anyone out there know temp at which the fan clutch should engage?
Per Hayden, around 170* at the clutch, which should be around 180-190* at the engine. I used a 2747 Hayden for my recent replacement.
Last night I threw the FSM manual out the window and raised the advance by about another 4 degrees. Drivability was improved in transition. Other than temp concerns... very nice drive.

And , before you ask... drove with the window down to listen for pinging.... absolutely no pinging at all and I drove to induce some ( IE harder than typical pull aways from fulll stops, hard acceleration to fill traffic gaps)
Will bump up advance another 2 degrees tonight. Last four made a difference in temp. Thinking thermostat and fan clutch now.

Thermostat should be 180 degree per the recall.

Do you know if the fan clutch was a thermal or non thermal that was originally on there???

Finally, I have a pair of fans I’m thinking about for the condenser. To keep the head pressure on the compressor in check at idle rpm fan speeds. That’s the last vibration left I’m getting. Smooth as glass up to stop and then 40 seconds into the red light I start loosing a little rpm and vibration from the bucking bronco of a compressor.
Timing helped... :thumbsup:

Fan clutch might help... IIRC it was a thermostatic from the factory... regardless, that's what it should be IMO.

I can't see how the thermostat would change anything... except perhaps to make sure it has an air bleed, I like to drill one if they don't have one already. Usually just a 1/32 hole in the plate where it can't interfere with the operation or the sealing.

I like the auxiliary fan idea for improved A/C performance, and it wouldn't hurt anything for stop and go traffic... but I don't think it's a true solution for anything else.

One more thought... If the fan is thermostatic... make sure the radiator isn't clogged in the center. Right after a drive where you pushed air through it, use an IR temp gun to make sure the center in front of the clutch isn't cooler than the tubes around it. It's a much smaller area that influences clutch operation, and surprising how often that is where a clog forms. I recall you have been working the nasties out of the cooling system...

My bigger hot running issue was at highway speeds... timing helped that a bunch. I did get hotter in stop and go than I liked... which I think the fan clutch has resolved. I still want to do the auxiliary fans for the condenser though... couldn't hurt anything, and should really help the A/C live happier and work better at lower speeds.

I checked and topped off the compressor oil when I did my work to the parts car... I was a bit surprised at how much oil she took (more than half of a 7oz bottle). A definite maintenance item for the RV2 compressors... it will now be a part of my regular servicing of them.

This morning.... 87 degrees and several short runs later..... A/C on full blast.... a bit more warm than I want but transition from cold to full warm up idle now almost seamless. Better!

45EB8BA4-7B4E-40F8-9884-94CA8B4C28DE.jpeg

Always something....

Started smelling gas today .... a lot. Had been sniffing it for the last few days and kept checking the carb for leaks.... not finding anything. Today it came on strong.

Found it...

Hose feeding the pump is absolute mush. Came apart in my hands on the pump end.

Car laid up ‘til tomorrow afternoon when I can get to it. Busy with meetings until then and fresh out of fuel line to boot.

Lucky it didn’t catch fire! Had that happen already and it was absolutely no fun at all.

Always something....

Started smelling gas today .... a lot. Had been sniffing it for the last few days and kept checking the carb for leaks.... not finding anything. Today it came on strong.

Found it...

Hose feeding the pump is absolute mush. Came apart in my hands on the pump end.

Car laid up ‘til tomorrow afternoon when I can get to it. Busy with meetings until then and fresh out of fuel line to boot.

Lucky it didn’t catch fire! Had that happen already and it was absolutely no fun at all.
If that one's bad, make sure the one back at the tank and the vent hose aren't in the same condition.

New fuel line in hand and I’m going in.... but first a short nap. Long week......

two hours later.....

Got from the top... the minute I felt the clamps, to knew I was dealing with a 40 year old original.

9724664F-307D-45D4-A831-71CAC639CF52.jpeg

Used some reflective tape to protect the new line from the radiant heat of the manifold.

AEE47043-AE0C-4FFE-8BF8-2907A3F17625.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a thought, Javier, how do you know that there isn't something wrong with the gauge or sender? Maybe your deliverability issues with the lean burn may also be affected by a bad temp sensor. Does the car vomit/spitup coolant after a hard drive? Do you hear it boiling over like an old fashioned coffee pot? Have you checked it against a real thermometer?
Just a thought....
Yes it was boiling over a bit. Not crazy but definitely boiling over. Temp with IR thermometer at the top of the tank was 230. Latest after timing change 210.

Last edited:
Not about fuel problem, but does it have a single or dual exhaust system?

Yes it was boiling over a bit. Not crazy but definitely boiling over. Temp with IR thermometer at the top of the tank was 230. Latest after timing change 210.

I'm sure you have probably checked it already, but it should be mentioned: Have you checked the pressure cap on the radiator? Is it working, and is it the correct cap (16 lbs, I think)? Sometimes its the really simple stuff that defeats us. . .

Oops!

Hit a low stump parallel parking the Nimitz

8DF990D5-FBD0-4967-BC7D-67F24BC11FB7.jpeg

Hoping it’s just that the shock is stuck. No dent or scratches from the stump.

I'm sure you have probably checked it already, but it should be mentioned: Have you checked the pressure cap on the radiator? Is it working, and is it the correct cap (16 lbs, I think)? Sometimes its the really simple stuff that defeats us. . .
New nos cap. Will check it though.
Believe it or not running a little cooler last night and today.

NOS..... it's no longer new because it's old. Test the cap. Rubber seals get old and leak. Even if it tests good replace it with a new one. Keep that old junk for points at the car shows.
I always suspect nos parts and will check it again. It appears to be holding pressure very well. Rubber was nice and pliable.

Last edited:
Back