New to the forum: 1962 Chrysler Newport.

olmoparnut

Reaction score
Greetings from Southern Indiana!
I,m a 52 yr old married father of three. My family owned a Chrysler dealership for about 69 years til age, retirement and the infamous Daimler corp. demands resulted in the sale of the dealership. I still have the very first car sold there (31 Plymouth). As well as a 70 Road Runner and a 56 Harley Davidson 165 ST ( also known as a "Hummer").
My father passed away last fall at the age of 84. Upon settling the estate the one item nobody seemed to want but everybody wanted to see stay in the family was "GRACE", dads 62 Newport 4dr sedan. The car isn't a high-dollar collector car but has a HUGE sentimental value. It's now in the hands of my 20 year old son who understands and appreciates it's "value".
"Grace" was sitting in a dilapidated clapboard garage with a dirt floor and a lot of feral cats to keep her company since she was last licensed in 81. The body is pretty solid, the engine is free and the interior is perfect.
I don't seem to see alot of 62s on this site but I would be interested in hearing from persons who have one or can share info.
We don't plan to do a restoration until My son is out of college in a couple years but we'd like to get "Grace" up and running soon.
Thanks, Olmoparnut

Newport 020.jpg

Newport 023.jpg

Newport 024.jpg

Newport 025.jpg

Newport 010.jpg

Newport 011.jpg

Newport 018.jpg

Welcome aboard, beautiful car looking forward to seeing more pictures it when it is up and running in the future. Body looks pretty solid how is the condition of the interior? Is it still in its original condition?

Thanks Zymurgy, The interior is the same original red cloth/vynl that came from the factory in 62. It's in perfect condition as aftermarket seat covers were added for protection when the car was fairly new. just needs a good cleaning!

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Awesome car 62 chryslers are my favorite as I have a 62 300 four door hardtop and a Newport two door hard top. Welcome from Idaho

62s are unique cars....Good looking car with family history.... Those are the best cars, with family history.

Welcome..........

Update on "Grace" the '62 Chrysler Newport

Progress has been slow on "Grace due to time constraints, but slow progress is better than no progress. As of 6-23-14 I've managed to source a complete front disc brake set-up from a '72 Newport. Some say it will fit, others say it won't; I intend to find out.
After removing about 2 inches of rat crap from Graces intake manifold I discovered a that the valley pan had a hole corroded in it....Not good news...
Meanwhile, back at the gas tank I found what happens to gas after 33 years (picture of 5 gallon bucket). Due to a college students tight budget I'm on the lookout for a used tank and sending unit since the new ones I've found are quite pricey.Newport 028.jpgNewport 030.jpgNewport.jpg

Newport 028.jpg

Newport 030.jpg

Newport.jpg

3-14-15: "Grace" gets her long-awaited transplant of a '66 383 4bbl. Unfortunately this whole project has to go on the back burner...My son (who owns the car) graduates college in december and should have more funds available. Meanwhile, I'm planning to build a new long-awaited workshop this spring, which will probably take most of my time for the near future. Never fear...I'm stubborn as a mule and I'm bound and determined to see this project to completion.0314151108.jpg0314151109.jpg0314151123.jpg

0314151108.jpg

0314151109.jpg

0314151123.jpg

Back