New to the forum 1965 Fury III 2 door hard top

64gmc

Reaction score
Well first off i'm new to the forum happy to be here and hope you guys can help with my newest addition to my wifes and i projects. Now i know my user name does not go with the forum but it is what i always use of the forum i visit. I have a 1964 gmc short wide pickup i've worked on for about 6-7 years now. But that enough about that.

Now for why i have joined this here forum. My father inlaw just gave us his out of high school car that has been tore apart longer then my wife has been on the world. We are now the proud owns of a 1965 Plymouth Fury III 2 door hard top. It is a 383 four speed factory car. Body is not in bad shape for sitting in a shead for 30 years and outside for the last 10 years. And we have a 1966 Fury III 2 door hard top for a parts car. Really all ill probably remove from the parts car it some interior pieces and maybe a few body parts. But i will put the old ones from the 65 back on the 66.

Well of corse you all knew this was coming but.....
Is there a restoration place for these 1965-66 furys? I've done a lot of looking but haven't really found a good source for patch panels, and other odds and ends?

WOW! Well welcome aboard!

Now I am no expert but these C-Bodies are a rare body for body parts & I know there is patch panels out there.

I will have to let someone else reply as to where to find them.

Feel free to post photos!

Welcome. Very nice car you're rebuilding, but I may be a bit partial... I think you'll be hard-pressed to find good quality replacement panels. I plan on rebuilding my lower quarters from scratch when I get to that point.

Welcome. Very nice car you're rebuilding, but I may be a bit partial... I think you'll be hard-pressed to find good quality replacement panels. I plan on rebuilding my lower quarters from scratch when I get to that point.

Yeah that's what i'm thinking of doing also. Her car so it will have to be good. lol I do have about 12 year of body work under my belt so if i have to make them i'll do it. I have found some on ebay but they say "hand made in canada" so not to sure on quality and the price is nuts as far as im concered. Her quarter are not that bad but i though if i could find them it would be a LOT easier.

Welcome aboard. (Sea Body Pun intended) sounds like you have a nice project to work on, you will find a lot of the 65 and 66 are different, the interiors and trim and the complete back half, even the doors and fenders have differences. So there really isn't a lot that you can mix and match. For restoration there are almost no parts available other than rubber seals and weatherstrip. whatever you want to restore you will need to start with a used part as no-one repops anything.

IMG_7150.jpgIMG_4826.jpgIMG_2203.jpgIMG_1207.jpgIMG_0200.jpg
Some pics of the ol girl!

IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

Welcome aboard. (Sea Body Pun intended) sounds like you have a nice project to work on, you will find a lot of the 65 and 66 are different, the interiors and trim and the complete back half, even the doors and fenders have differences. So there really isn't a lot that you can mix and match. For restoration there are almost no parts available other than rubber seals and weatherstrip. whatever you want to restore you will need to start with a used part as no-one repops anything.

Well looking at the 2 fury's i got they look pretty darn close. Just grille, truck lid and tail lights look differant? I may be wrong?

They share many overall parts, but differ when it comes to trim and details. For example the doors and fenders interchange but the trim does not, this is also true for trim levels, Sport Fury trim is different than Fury III and Fury II and so on, glass is the same but the door panels, seats and upholstery are different. speed and gauge panels are different, the rear quarters are very different, fuel tank is different from 65 to 66, K-frame is different you will need to use the factory 383 due to different motor mounts.

they are based on the same platform and are the same chassis and underpinnings but have plenty of differences

Welcome aboard and looks like you have a good project to get started on. AcreageAircooled is right. They are different in many ways, but a lot of the parts with work from the 66 to the 65, but not all. There are a few places that carry parts your our cars. Murry Park is one of them. Be good to get a list of parts you're going to need and shoot them an email with your list.

If by chance you have and would like to part with the trunk lid emblem from the 66 I would be glad to take it off your hands as I need one. That I know is different from the 65 to the 66. Then again, is the 66 a Sport Fury? Different again..LOL.

Again, welcome to the site!

image.jpg

They share many overall parts, but differ when it comes to trim and details. For example the doors and fenders interchange but the trim does not, this is also true for trim levels, Sport Fury trim is different than Fury III and Fury II and so on, glass is the same but the door panels, seats and upholstery are different. speed and gauge panels are different, the rear quarters are very different, fuel tank is different from 65 to 66, K-frame is different you will need to use the factory 383 due to different motor mounts.

they are based on the same platform and are the same chassis and underpinnings but have plenty of differences

Good to know. That why i'm here to learn. I guess in a couple of week when i drag the 66 home ill have to see what will and what wont fit. Thanks for the heads up. Guess i'll have to test fit parts if i plan on using them.

66sportfury--- I belive the 66 is just the fury III but i;m not totally sure. When we drag her home i'll get back to ya on the emblem. Should be worth like what a few thousand?? LOL got to finance this build you know! lol

64 GMC, that comment although in gest, will hurt 66 sportfury a little. he just had his trunk and tailamp bezels dented up, and really knows about how hard it is to finance a project. mostly our beloved one year, one model only cars.

Well then i do apalogize to 66sportfury then. Like i said i'm new. Darn rookies anyway! But like i said if it is the sport fury i'd be happy to help if i can.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Thanks for the welcome!

And I'm sure I'll be in the same boat as you 66sportfury. I have most of the trim down the side but the left fender was hit and it bent up pretty bad. And I know I'm missing the commando v8 emblem on that side along with the fury emblem. But I do have 2 bent up little strips. So some of it I'll have to find or just fill in the holes if I can't. I got 2 front and rear bumper but all 4 are bent. I'm missing the Plymouth emblems from the hood and the trim from the drip rail he took off with pliers so it's all bent up. All the trunk molding and Plymouth trim is bent. I have the 2 out side tail lights but the back up lights and inside tail lights are broken. So I know I got a lot of money I'll have to spend just to find decent parts to get it to look half way good. I'm hoping the drip rail trim will work from the 66. The side trim on the 66 I know will not work. My grille is bent but is there. Part of the hood emblem was in the glove box. Lol.

The body will be the easy part. I got no problem fixing rust I've done rust a lot of times. The engine is in the father in laws basement bored and ready to go back together. But the heads were in the trunk all covered with rust and stuck valves. Only good thing about the engine is that he has 2 other complete 383's. One is out of some wagon the other is out of a GTX. And we can find the tranny.

So I've got a long road of hide and seek parts to find.

Welcome 64gmc! Now the challenge comes in finding or repairing all those parts.It's good that your taking inventory of what you already have and what parts are needed.Finding some of it is gonna be a little tough,but if you search the internet enough and listen to some of the people here,you'll find it isn't all that bad.It won't be as easy as finding parts was for your GMC but that's the fun in building something that's unique.By the way,how about slipping in a pic or two of that truck while your at it! :wave3:

Back