Roof top sheet metal replacement

badattitude10

Reaction score
Hey gurus, I am looking for a roof top replacement for my 1974 plymouth fury iii 400cid 6.6l 4 door sedan. Its hard getting body parts for this C body car. Any idea is highly appreciated

20230817_090134.jpg

With any luck, your existing rust might be minimal enough that sections of the roof could be cut out and patches of sheet metal welded in. If rust is more extensive a replacement roof "skin" might be an option for replacing the exterior sheet metal without cutting up the roof's supporting framework. If the rust extends beyond the roof skin to the supporting roof structure, its probably not worth restoring.

Nobody reproduces a roof skin for a 74-78 C body Dodge or Plymouth sedan. If you find one in a salvage yard with a solid roof (which probably won't be a vinyl top car), I would cut off the entire roof including the supporting structure, off the parts car (or pay the salvage yard to do the cutting). Let the body shop try to separate the parts car roof skin from the skeleton it's attached to, and use what they need to fix your car. It probably won't be cheap.

Now, if you are in Richmond, Virginia, and still want to find a salvage yard that likely has a few of these cars (including old police cars that wouldn't have had vinyl tops), I believe you have two choices:

Fredericksburg Auto Salvage in Fredericksburg, Virginia (mostly lots of 60's to 80's cars in this large salvage yard)
11045 Claiborne Crossing Rd, Fredericksburg, VA 22408
Hours:
Closes 5 PM
Phone: (540) 898-8630

Leons Auto Parts in Leon, Virginia (10 miles south of Culpepper on RT 29) (over 100 acres of 50's to 80's cars but call first to find out limitations on entry and exit times)
6207 James Monroe Hwy, Leon, VA 22725
Hours:
Closes 5 PM
Phone: (540) 547-2366

The good news is, we are fast approaching winter, which is the best time to visit these yards. Leaves are off the trees so you can see everything, mud will be frozen, snakes and bears in hibernation, and wasps, ticks and other bug like critters won't be active in the cold temperatures. But even in winter probably best to watch out for poison ivy.

Last edited:
With any luck, your existing rust might be minimal enough that sections of the roof could be cut out and patches of sheet metal welded in. If rust is more extensive a replacement roof "skin" might be an option for replacing the exterior sheet metal without cutting up the roof's supporting framework. If the rust extends beyond the roof skin to the supporting roof structure, its probably not worth restoring.

Nobody reproduces a roof skin for a 74-78 C body Dodge or Plymouth sedan. If you find one in a salvage yard with a solid roof (which probably won't be a vinyl top car), I would cut off the entire roof including the supporting structure, off the parts car (or pay the salvage yard to do the cutting). Let the body shop try to separate the parts car roof skin from the skeleton it's attached to, and use what they need to fix your car. It probably won't be cheap.

Now, if you are in Richmond, Virginia, and still want to find a salvage yard that likely has a few of these cars (including old police cars that wouldn't have had vinyl tops), I believe you have two choices:

Fredericksburg Auto Salvage in Fredericksburg, Virginia (mostly lots of 60's to 80's cars in this large salvage yard)
11045 Claiborne Crossing Rd, Fredericksburg, VA 22408
Hours:
Closes 5 PM
Phone: (540) 898-8630
[/URL]

Leons Auto Parts in Leon, Virginia (10 miles south of Culpepper on RT 29) (over 100 acres of 50's to 80's cars but call first to find out limitations on entry and exit times)
6207 James Monroe Hwy, Leon, VA 22725
Hours:
Closes 5 PM
Phone: (540) 547-2366

The good news is, we are fast approaching winter, which is the best time to visit these yards. Leaves are off the trees so you can see everything, mud will be frozen, snakes and bears in hibernation, and wasps, ticks and other bug like critters won't be active in the cold temperatures. But even in winter probably best to watch out for poison ivy.
Thank you so much. I will visit this place

Back