New week/end project

Been driving the truck somewhat regularly again. Forgot what a gas hog it is! Luckily gas is cheap for the moment!!

Got some time to work on the bed this week. Drilled out all the holes to weld the bedside on. Was a pain getting the bedside onto the bed! Had to stretch it around the corners as it has a lip. Was afraid of bending the new metal! Once it was on, got it welded up. Spent today and yesterday grinding the welds down. Once they were done, put on a light coat of spot putty to fill the little holes left from the weld.

I don't know what was spilled in the bed by the prior owner. But there was some nasty **** in there! Was kind of a silicone/cement mix. Only thing i could use to get it off was the grinder. Luckily there is a thick coat of primer to keep the grinder off the metal. Got most of it off and primered.

I'm hoping to get it finished up, and to the paint shop next weekend. Gonna be a Macoo job... Obviously nothing fancy lol. As long as the truck is all one color I'll be happy. I'm doing 90% of the work. All they will have to do is a final sand, and paint.

20151004_135204.jpg

20151005_191938.jpg

20151005_191955.jpg

20151005_192011.jpg

20151011_175604.jpg

20151011_175618.jpg

20151011_175633.jpg

20151011_175959.jpg

How you mean? They're gonna paint inside and out. I might put a bedliner in later down the road depending on the paint quality.. I've a rubber bed matt to go in from the original. I might throw some paint on the underside. But its pretty clean as is.. Nothing like the current one on the truck..

20151013_184952.jpg20151015_191133.jpg20151015_191940.jpgGot the paint stripped down on the driver side. This bed was repainted once before. Kinda **** my pants for a second as I found bondo as soon as I dug in. Luckily it was just a skim coat. Only needed a little bit for a couple little dings (as seen in pics).

Pulled the tailgate off the truck, and treated a little bit of rot on the bottom edge. Have a little spot putty to sand dow , and a tiny weld to grind down, and she should be good for the paint shop. Come on saturday!!

20151013_184952.jpg

20151015_191133.jpg

20151015_191940.jpg

Another busy weekend...

Picked the bed up from Maaco yesterday. They actually did a pretty damn good job! The bed looks great! Matches the truck pretty good too. Can deff tell its newer paint, but still looks good.

Got the old one off, and new one on yesterday. Spent today doing some final touches. Don't think I did too bad. Spent $2300 and basically have a brand new truck. If you count the engine rebuild a few years back looking around $4900..

A few pics of the work, including some of the bad from the old bed. Need to get some new decals for the bedsides.

20151024_124302.jpg

20151024_124311.jpg

20151024_124328.jpg

20151024_124338.jpg

20151024_124352.jpg

20151024_161127.jpg

20151024_164022.jpg

20151024_164045.jpg

20151025_122315.jpg

20151025_122338.jpg

Doesn't help that the front of the truck is pretty dirty. The guy at the paint shop said not to wash or wax for 4 weeks..

Thanks for the update. Nice work. Why is it that every older truck has rot in the same area around the rear wheels. You'd think the manufacturers would have figured out how to prevent corrosion in that area. Must be built in obsolescence.

A lot and time and effort that was well worth it even though it won't "get thumbs up everywhere it goes" because you chose to do the right thing instead of throwing all that money into wheels, tires, stereo, LED's, etc.
Good job!

Thanks for the update. Nice work. Why is it that every older truck has rot in the same area around the rear wheels. You'd think the manufacturers would have figured out how to prevent corrosion in that area. Must be built in obsolescence.

I really think dodge should have stepped up, and recalled all these generation trucks a few years ago for rust problems. All of them have it, and they get bad. A page or 2 back you can see why they rust there with the spray foam glue/sound deadener that is applied in between the wheel well, and bedside. Whats worse is there is no real reason for anything to be there. Theres a wall behind the wheel well that wont let any water, or dirt into the bed. Its just open space.

A lot and time and effort that was well worth it even though it won't "get thumbs up everywhere it goes" because you chose to do the right thing instead of throwing all that money into wheels, tires, stereo, LED's, etc.
Good job!

Thanks Stan! Don't worry she needs tires soon. Im thinking some 33's or 35's this income tax time lmao.

25 years working in a Dodge dealership I've seen these rust problems on every generation truck since 1989. We have been told by Mother Mopar that it is related to splashguard installations not sealing the self tapping screws but that doesn't explain rust on the top of the wheelwell. Just warranteed a repaint on a 2011 same issue. BTW nice to meet another Cordoba driving C body building Ram driver!

25 years working in a Dodge dealership I've seen these rust problems on every generation truck since 1989. We have been told by Mother Mopar that it is related to splashguard installations not sealing the self tapping screws but that doesn't explain rust on the top of the wheelwell. Just warranteed a repaint on a 2011 same issue. BTW nice to meet another Cordoba driving C body building Ram driver!

A late welcome aboard! Thanks! Always great to have another Cordoba fan! I think I started a little cordoba fever here a while back when I got mine lol.

Yea it is bad how they all rust there. My 2nd gen ram did the exact same thing in the same places. Although I think these third gens progress alot quicker/worse. Pretty bad when you have to do warranty work like this on a 2011!! My 98 was bad but not near as bad as this one was.

My day was made today at work. This morning when we were coming into the shop, one of the guys asked me if I got a new truck :yaayy: lol

Gave the truck its first bath since putting the bed on. Looks much better then before. Still need to wait a week or 2 before any wax.

Been chasing an electric bug down. My tail lights were acting up. Turned out the driver side tail light harness got pinched between the bed and frame. Loosened the bed up, and got the wires out. Everythings working fine now.

20151111_164306.jpg

20151111_164306.jpg

Had a nice check this last payday, that was supposed to be for a trans for the blumo. But alas... Whenever the truck hears I have $$, you know the drill... lol

She needed tires. Which I've wanted to do since I've had the truck. The old set was pretty new though. Had to wait for em to wear out. The body gave out before the set of tires did ugh.. Haha

I bought a small lift kit, with new torsion keys, and blocks for out back.

Before-

After-

The front went up a little higher after this pic. Been letting the suspension settle, and readjusting through the week.

Took her to the tire shop today. Got some new shoes, and an alignment done. Much better! Not near as grandpa-es as before lol. Hard to tell from the pics, but shes sitting much higher. The ol' lady just about fell the other day trying to get in!

She got a set of 285 75r17's. Original was 265 70r17's. Think it was the perfect step up to compliment the lift. Wish I could have gotten em for the same price as tires for our cars!

Also got a new oil pan sitting here, waiting to go in next oil change. Original pan is very corroded, and can just about push a hole in with my finger.

It always something!!

She also got a good detailing. Can you tell I like my windows down?

Hell, I might be taking the truck to the Garlits show this year lmao

Looking great Zac love the level kit look - not too much just enough for the bigger boots!

Back