New week/end project

monaco75

Reaction score
Found a deal on craigslist I couldn't pass up. A local guy was parting out some 3rd gen Rams. Just so happened to have a cab in the same color grey as mine. Picked it up the other day for a couple hundred bucks.

Been missing my truck the last few months driving the cordoba. But she is real bad rust wise (as I'm always plagued with). I already picked up another bed 2 years ago, and its been sitting at a friends place. It needs a big dent pulled out, and a paint job, but other wise solid.

Anywhase, spent today tearing the interior out. Metal kept falling out of the rockers as I worked lol. I'm down to the HVAC box. Need to figure out how to get the quick dissconects for the a/c off of the evaporator core, as well as the gear selector, and bezal for the transfer case. But should be smooth sailing after that.

Can't afford a new truck at the moment, plus I just had the engine rebuilt 2 years ago, and havn't even put 10k miles on it. figured for a few hundred bucks, and some time it is worth it.

I've heard living close to the ocean in Florida will create Wisconsin level rust too.

The setting on the Plasma cutter is the same for rust of those two origins.

Personally, I live in the dead center geographically of the FL peninsula called Highlands Ridge. The humidity here is 50% less.
Cars here all their life are bone dry.

Is that Florida rust or Michigan rust????

Its a mix of both.. The salt up north started it, but once the exposed rust/bare metal got down here the humidity really blew it out.

My running boards fell off after a year of being here lol.

And in California they rust from the inside out.

Alan

So, kids, this is what we learned today.

If you have a restored 69 Roadrunner from Cape Cod that went to California via Florida, it will arrive like this...

Rusty.jpg

But it's a dry rust, not so bad just like the dry heat. ;)

Been a good, and busy week! Finished stripping the truck.

Called up a few friends to come over and help get this thing off. Damn what a heavy *****!!! We wern't able to lift the old one up, and off. Soo... We lifted it up enough for the front to clear the engine, then rolled it over onto its side away from the frame. Can see it in the background, along with how bad the underside/rockers were blown out!

We mustered up all we could, and after a few times got the new cab up, and over everything. Damn that was a pain! After a day of recouping, today I got the doors on, and aligned. Also got my old wiring harness installed, carpet, and a few sensors. Need to order a few pieces that broke in the process, but doing good!

The paint is off a little bit, but unless you really look at it, you can't notice. From a far it looks good. I'm hoping after a bath, and polish it will blend a little better.

On top of all this, I've got a new job lined up this week! Pretty excited! Its a welding job building SCIFS. I'm waiting for my background to check out, then the drug test, and I'm hired. I CAN"T WAIT!! Woo!!

Well...... :shruggy: lol

Luckily the truck, and I are still registered in MI. I've been talking with my dealer buddy up there, and he says its not illegal.. I always thought it was, especially swapping vins. Being you cant get to the vin without removing the windshield properly, next time I go up he will do it. I still don't know, but if he says yes, I'll go with him.

Back