Newby 1970 Dodge Polara Convertible

There was a question raised by Matt about a rule when the Y codes were applied. Maybe you can shed some more light on this.

that is a difficult question.

I do not have enough tags from "C" or "D" to make substantial statements.

I know from STL (St Louis "G") that there are not always codes on the tag.
STL was discontinuous with Y codes (69&70). You will find it once in a while but not having a Y code on a STL car is more often than having one.

A lot of the more unusual Y codes can also be identified in the VON.

Carsten

I'm not surprised to see variations from plant to plant but Dave has proof that there were variations on the tag within the same plant.

Hi Matt,

what I wrote was meant for one plant (in this case "G") . Within the same modelyear cars have no Y code, sometimes a simple code like Y14 or Y16 (but not often in general). The more rare Y codes seem to be more often on the tag and can be seen checked on the serial order Number, too. If a VON has a letter in the beginning or a "9" it has a special Y code meaning like special order paint, shipment to Canada/Export, Fleet sales etcetc

But again it makes no sense why some don't have an average code like Y14/Y16 and others not (which should have at least one of those two)

It is also happening during the complete model year and not only in a certain time frame

Carsten

Thanks for clarifying Carsten, so it's one of the big mysteries. We need Doug over here, I'll email him a link to this thread.

Thanks for clarifying Carsten, so it's one of the big mysteries. We need Doug over here, I'll email him a link to this thread.

Y codes....

there are few absolutes when it comes to tags but here's one:

What was coded, when it was coded and even where it was coded differed from year to year, plant to plant and even during the model year. "Early" tags can code differently than 'late' tags.

Regarding 69 and later cars: some plants are very consistent with "Y" codes and some were not. As Carsten said, you find very few Y codes on '69 STL tags. Some plants, like '70 Hamtramck, most all cars have a Y code for country of sale (Y05, Y07, Y09). So Y codes may be found on some tags and not on others. It depends on the plant, the time of year and the type of Y code used. You cannot draw comparisons between what the STL plant did in '69 and apply the same coding structures and rules to the '70 Belvedere plant. It doesn't work that way.

Sometimes you can relate the Y code to the Vehicle Order Number (VON). Sometimes the VON tells you the Y code. Again, it just depends on the year and the plant.

Learning the nuances of the different years and plants takes a lot of study of a significant sample size to learn what was done and when.

One of the reasons I started hanging out here, besides the stellar personalities, was to learn about C body tags and how Belvedere, Jefferson and Newark coded tags through the years. C body tags are harder to learn as there are fewer of them to find and compare between the various plants. It appears to be a part of the hobby that just does not interest C body owners so there is less sharing and comparing than the other body styles so one has to do a lot of self learning.

right now I am just concerned with the 1970 tags at Belvedere. There is almost no rhyme or reason with the Y05, Y14 AND Y16 codes, some have them and some do not.......

right now I am just concerned with the 1970 tags at Belvedere. There is almost no rhyme or reason with the Y05, Y14 AND Y16 codes, some have them and some do not.......

I checked my 70 Belvedere tags...

I have a car with an A14 SPD that doesn't carry a Y0* code and a car with B06 SPD that does. Run a correlation between the SPDs and when the codes appear on your tags.

This could be an instance of codes changing at the plant during the model year. (what was coded...when it was coded...."early" vs "late")

Y14 and Y16...I didn't check those. Try the same correlation. Start with the SPDs or VINs and see if there is a correlation.

Last edited:
Hello C Bodies,
Before you guys I knew nothing of tag codes, Thanks for all the information!!!
Ruger

Hello C Bodies,
What are things to do on this site when a tread starts burning out.
THX
Ruger

Hello C Bodies,
THX
Ruger

Read other threads and chime in as you feel and start your own threads in the appropriate section for whatever the reason

Hello C Bodies,
THX
Ruger

You can go to the ads section and make fun of the sellers while waiting for a new thread to take off with interesting discussion

Come on man, get that registry site going! :poke:

I picked the wrong couple weeks to be gone on vaction. Looks like a cool vert! and I second the above quote. :devil1:

If Dave does not do a registry and I hate to think if something ever happens to him we would never know where or what most of these cars are and it would be VERY awesome to get cars registered where people could view them and see things like the vin #'s of the real Rose Bowl cars so people are not tricked into thinking their cars are or any other info like that. I know we do not really need to worry about rebodies and stuff like that (now but who knows as values go up) but I know the TA registry that Barry runs has saved alot of people from buying bogus cars and rebodies as he tracks the tags and vins when they are sold on ebay and cl. Just a thought. I know it is a TON of work and money but it would really really help out alot of vert owners. Beause without the info Dave has we would be lost on them. IMHO

.... I know it is a TON of work and money but it would really really help out alot of vert owners. Beause without the info Dave has we would be lost on them. IMHO

Effective research and documentation takes A LOT of time and money but in the end it is worth it. Somebody needs to get a handle on some of this information NOW before it is lost forever. No one person can aggregate all the data but working together will accomplish much. Somebody, take the lead and share folks...share.

Effective research and documentation takes A LOT of time and money but in the end it is worth it. Somebody needs to get a handle on some of this information NOW before it is lost forever. No one person can aggregate all the data but working together will accomplish much. Somebody, take the lead and share folks...share.

I'm willing to help organize the data by offering up some spreadsheet skills ;)

I'm willing to help organize the data by offering up some spreadsheet skills ;)

nQP3l0y.jpg

Back