No dimmable interior lights or most other lighting?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ever since I had my upholstery done all my cigarette, courtesy, dimmable dash lights, bright light indicator and the dimmable back lit console shift . I was going to investigate this winter but I realized that I didn't have my dash light either.

I have checked the under dash fuses. My power windows, idiot lights like oil and cold, trunk, and the glove box light all work. Something happened during the upholstery install. I know a lot of times it is a ground. Is there a ground that might take out all these areas?

I can't explain your lack of cigarette lighter but hopefully the rest isn't because your dimmer switch gave up the ghost. Is that a reostatic dimmer? If that's the case there's a guy that can rebuild them and he does really nice work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-69-70...e-/251059984371?ssPageName=ADME:X:DED:US:1123

Thanks Matt but my headlight switch was going out last year and was replaced. One trip at night with the head lights going out was enough for me. Scared the crap out of me couldn't see anything out on a country road.

Then I got nothin for you on this Mike...

I hate to tell you this Mike but the front end and engine are going to have to come back off/out

I kid !!! I kid !!! emoticonbigsmile.gif

emoticonbigsmile.gif

Mike, when these same situations happen to me, I do the following. It may seem neurotically detailed but in the end it always solves my wiring and/or lighting problems more expediently.
I make a photocopy or scan of my wiring diagram in B&W.
I steal my wife's 500 piece
biggrin.png
art pencil case.
I circle the items that don't work.
I then trace the wires using the matching color pencil.
Eventually you will see a pattern and can track down where the problem is.
Time at the dining room table is time not under the dash.
This method has solved the worst of the wiring problems.
Give it a shot.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Scott and Stan thanks for the tips. I laughed at pulling the engine that won' t be happening. :)

that should be four separate circuits. sounds like more than one problem

Thanks for the advice guys. 1970cat got my brain thinking during the day that I had multiple problems. The first thing I did when I got home was check my dash lights again. They only come on for me when it is turned fully one way and they are pretty dim, so I couldn't tell they were on in the daylight . I also found out that my bright lights indicator works too. It too is dim and honestly wasn't in the location or color that I was thinking it was.

My "no ****" moment was when I was looking at the schematic tonight. I noticed that off the main fuse block there was another single fuse that went to none other than my console. It only took me a moment to follow the pink wire from the box to find it tucked behind my kick panel. Located inside is a blown 20 amp fuse.:yaayy:

Now of course I don't have any fuses on me, but obvious this my be the answer to nearly all the other electrical problems.

Dash.sm.jpg

Dash.sm.jpg

looks cool. while you have the kick panel off, make sure the grounds behind there are clean and secure as was stated above. if all is good then chances are your rheostat in the light switch is bad. the lighter should be live at all times. i believe it is an orange wire that pushes on a stud on the back side of the lighter. the high beam indicator light grounds through the dash cluster. most of the things in the dash ground through the dash frame via the A pillar bolts. make sure you have good connection there too.

looks cool. while you have the kick panel off, make sure the grounds behind there are clean and secure as was stated above. if all is good then chances are your rheostat in the light switch is bad. the lighter should be live at all times. i believe it is an orange wire that pushes on a stud on the back side of the lighter. the high beam indicator light grounds through the dash cluster. most of the things in the dash ground through the dash frame via the A pillar bolts. make sure you have good connection there too.

Thanks once again. It just hit me that I may have never hooked the lighter back up after I removed everything. It is great to talk though it like this it gets my brain working on what I might have done instead of blaming someone else.

Now I have interior lights:eek:s_dancing2:

Last issue to solve are the lighters.

Interior Light.sm.jpg

Interior Light.sm.jpg

I love this pic .. please keep posting please! I don't think we can ever get enough of this beauty :)

Hope you resolve the remaining light gremlins soon and are out enjoying this convert to the maximum extent possible the rest of the season

Back