no electrical power

atlas

Reaction score
I have no power to anything but my windows. Thought it could be the relay on the fenderwell but not so. I could jump the center post to the battery lead and the engine would turn over but I don't even have a dome light. Any ideas anyone. Atlas 67 NEW YORKER 440 CU IN

Do you have an FSM?

It seems strange that your electric windows work. Is this with the key on or in accessory?

The fact that the windows works says that power is getting inside.

Disconnect the battery!!!

I would pull the bulkhead connector apart and check and clean the contacts. Look for any heat damage also.

You're going to need a multimeter or a test light.

My aircraft training tells me to start where you know that you have power. After you've cleaned the bulkhead connection don't plug it back in right away. Hook the battery up and check for 12 volts coming from the battery. BECAREFUL!!!

Disconnect the battery and plug the bulkhead connection back in. Then follow where the power goes on the wire diagram in your FSM. One connection at a time. Have a note book handy and make good notes.

I am going to agree with live4theking but also keep in mind the next biggest issue on these cars is the ammeter. Get a #10 screw and nut and unhook the ammeter and put the bolt through the two ring terminals and heavily tape over any exposed metal. See if that doesn't help the issue. Pretty simple deal to do.

Makes me wonder if the windows were wired differently? added on or just bypassed the original wiring in an attempt to fix them?

After you've checked everything that was mentioned above. I would double check ALL your lights, radio and anything else electrical. I know it sounds dumb, but I get customers ALL THE TIME that say "I have no power at all!" but in reality most of their stuff does indeed work just not the ones they notice every day.

Maybe a pic of the engine compartment around the battery and main relay so we can help verify.

Most likely, you have a burned out Fusible Link (basically a 'fuse wire').
It will usually be either connected to the positive battery post/wire, the main stud on the starter relay, or possibly off the main positive cable at the starter itself. There are usually more than one of them as they would protect separate circuits.

My headlights were on and I parked and forgot to turn them off. I realized this and looked at the car and they were off. Awhile later they turned back on on their own. I found the problem to be from the + battery terminal was a wire that went to a plastic connector. On the other side of the connector the wire said "fuse link" or something like that. I cleaned the connector with electronics cleaner and everything was fine.

My headlights were on and I parked and forgot to turn them off. I realized this and looked at the car and they were off. Awhile later they turned back on on their own. I found the problem to be from the + battery terminal was a wire that went to a plastic connector. On the other side of the connector the wire said "fuse link" or something like that. I cleaned the connector with electronics cleaner and everything was fine.

If you're prone to leaving the lights on-
Simple headlight buzzer circuit.

I'm having the same issue now but when I use my testor I am showing power after the fusible link. I have no lights, radio. The car doesn't even buzz when I put the key in the ignition. I bought some electric connection cleaner and dielectric grease so I will try cleaning up connections tomorrow and see what I get.

check your fuses they might of came unsoldered even though they check out ok, they still might be bad

Back