Odometer and tripometer

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally got car on road. Speedometer works but odometers don't. Is this an electrical issue or mechanical?
I assumed they worked as speedometer registered.

Another related question. When I start down the road, the Speedo bounces all over the dial until I get up to about 30 then smooths out until I slow down again. I lubed cable from trans to cruise and from cruise to dash.

Mechanical. Speedo speed cup drives the main odometer via a gear and the trip odometer is turned by a link to the main odometer.

Cruise transducer might be causing the bouncing speedometer needle as the speedometer cable to it is the cable from the transmission. The output from the transducer is what goes to the speedometer. The two are not directly connected, possibly? What happens if you set the cruise at 28mph?

Take care,
CBODY67

Another related question. When I start down the road, the Speedo bounces all over the dial until I get up to about 30 then smooths out until I slow down again. I lubed cable from trans to cruise and from cruise to dash.

I've read that a bouncing speedo is usually caused by the cable not being securely in the little receiving cup on the instrument panel. I have a sluggish odo on Gertrude, and want to remedy that. The trip odo sticks often. My speedo works very nicely though it bounced a bit when I first put the car on the road 2 yrs ago. I check both metrics using a GPS speedo/odo app on my Big Brother leash er, uh, "smartphone."

Mechanical. Speedo speed cup drives the main odometer via a gear and the trip odometer is turned by a link to the main odometer.

Cruise transducer might be causing the bouncing speedometer needle as the speedometer cable to it is the cable from the transmission. The output from the transducer is what goes to the speedometer. The two are not directly connected, possibly? What happens if you set the cruise at 28mph?

Take care,
CBODY67
Cruise doesn't appear to be working yet haha

Back