Oh crap, I just changed my oil with a low-zinc oil, what should I do?

And look what popped up in YouTube this morning.

I really want to start using this as a response to "bad ballast resistor".

Drinking.jpg

I'd pound on the brake drum to get them off and also inhale my minimum daily requirements of asbestos.

Snort a line of asbestos dust, chug down some leaded petrol to chase, then fire up a Sr-90 dusted seegar, north Nevada-grown for that vibrant John Wayne glow....

The guy that discovered that Tetraethyllead (octane booster) used to pour it on his hands and inhale the vapors in demonstrations. He did get lead poisoning.

He went on to develop Freon.... and died at 51, getting tangled in a lifting system that he designed for bedridden patients

Huffing freon, esp R-12 or other light weight halogenated alkanes, -kenes, or -kynes ranks as one of the best brain neuron dissolving schemes known to Man, aside from watching Faux Nooze. While living on the street, I met a freon huffer who was allowed to leave the nut-hutch. This specimen would struggle for entire afternoons with erecting a single hominid pup tent, would then go lay out on a public sidewalk in the afternoon summer sun the following day, and would strip off all its clothing and wander into public stores.

I convinced this sad zombie to return to the funny farm, and watch grass grow there. Took considerable doing, but I was blessed. I can easily see the character aforementioned getting tangled in a lifting system and it killing him. Huffing is BAAAAD ****!

Where do you guys come up with this stuff.........I drank DDT as a young child, and I think I am brain dead.
DDT is quite MILD compared to many common chemicals still sold to the General Publick. And people deny the Miraculous Nature of Life.....

I can easily see the character aforementioned getting tangled in a lifting system and it killing him.
Actually, I sugarcoated it just a little.

From Wikipedia. Thomas Midgley Jr. - Wikipedia.

"In 1940, at the age of 51, Midgley contracted polio and was left severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to lift himself out of bed. On November 2, 1944, at the age of 55, he was found dead at his home in Worthington, Ohio. He had been killed by his own device after he became entangled in it and died of strangulation. He left behind a widow, Carrie M. Reynolds from Delaware, Ohio, whom he had married on August 3, 1911. It was reported to the public that his death was an accident, but it was privately declared a suicide."

IMHO, while Midgley invented two things that were bad environmentally, he was still an obviously brilliant man. Compared to other refrigerant chemicals in use at the time, Freon was pretty mild. Finding a chemical that wasn't real toxic, flammable or explosive was a large step forward in refrigeration. I don't know as comparing him to someone that huffs Freon is exactly right.

In one respect, as you have a well-used and conditioned cam/lifter set, as 1000ppm is generally considered to be the low spec for zddp, 800 is not that far off. Rislone has a decent zddp additive, but many of the additives are 1qt in size, to replace one quart of motor oil, but some are only 16oz, so that might be something to look for.

With a stock cam and the stock springs, it is very possible that nothing will happen. IF it will make you feel better, then chase some higher zddp oil and change the oil. Keep the drained oil for a newer vehicle. Change the filter too, for good measure.

In any event, there should be enough residual zddp worn-into the cam and lifters for adequate protection for at least 1K miles or so. Just my suspicion. In other words, NO immediate damage.

Which Delo 400 product did you get?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Exactly what I would do instead of freaking out. Especially in my case, where each car is lucky to get driven 1000 miles each year. The residual from all those previous years will provide protection for awhile on a stock system. Afterwards just go online and buy Valvoline VR1 which I use. Seems the 10W-30 is impossible to find in stores where I am. Since I change my oil every two years regardless the low miles on the oil.

Last edited:
Actually, I sugarcoated it just a little.

From Wikipedia. Thomas Midgley Jr. - Wikipedia.

"In 1940, at the age of 51, Midgley contracted polio and was left severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to lift himself out of bed. On November 2, 1944, at the age of 55, he was found dead at his home in Worthington, Ohio. He had been killed by his own device after he became entangled in it and died of strangulation. He left behind a widow, Carrie M. Reynolds from Delaware, Ohio, whom he had married on August 3, 1911. It was reported to the public that his death was an accident, but it was privately declared a suicide."

IMHO, while Midgley invented two things that were bad environmentally, he was still an obviously brilliant man. Compared to other refrigerant chemicals in use at the time, Freon was pretty mild. Finding a chemical that wasn't real toxic, flammable or explosive was a large step forward in refrigeration. I don't know as comparing him to someone that huffs Freon is exactly right.

Well, I wouldn't rank the man with ignorant rednecks who huffed freon, model airplane glue, spray paint, gasoline or propane 50 yrs ago, quite, BUT, MY MAIN POINT IS THAT ALL THAT STUFF CAN DAMAGE BRAINS TERRIBLY AND QUICKLY. Anyone who " used to pour it on his hands and inhale the vapors in demonstrations" with "it" being tetramethyl-U-NAME-IT would compromise their cerebral function quite a bit.

Bruce Wood, the damaged zombie whose sanity I kept and directed for several months in 2008, saved the remnant of his life, seemed "normal and sane enough" upon first meeting, though he clearly was neither, after one had the misfortune to learn it. I turned down several offer/threats to murder the poor man while he was under my eyes, from folks whom he had alienated. They too had at first been taken in by him, to their eventual fury. I thank God I had the grace to convince him to go back under State care. Brain damage doesn't always show itself immediately, even when SEVERE.

Oddly, I'd fairly recently heard that Delo surpassed Rotella T4 in the Zinc dept, maybe that's not so?

Oil formulations can change periodically, which is why keeping up with the oil analysis reports posted at www.bobistheoilguy.com and the PQIA website can be important. Realize, too, that other parts of the formulation can compensate a bit for decreased zddp, including the base stocks themselves.

Curiously, BEFORE everybody got concerned about zddp levels, back in the 1960's hot rod days, NOT every brand of oil had lots of zddp in them. Quite shocking, all things considered, but back then, a long oil change interval was 4000 miles as over-the-road diesels usually went 50K miles between oil changes (with diesel-specific motor oil).

CBODY67

I still use Rotella T4 in everything. I drive my car like there's a fire on my tail. No failures in any rigs ever, knock on Ford driver's head.

I still use Rotella T4 in everything. I drive my car like there's a fire on my tail. No failures in any rigs ever, knock on Ford driver's head.
I do the same. My '21 Charger is the exception, but I have to use certain oil for warranty. My 1990 Dakota Convertible, the stepson's 68 Sport Fury Fastop, and my '05 Honda Shadow all run Rotella 15w40. My vehicles wish they were beaten like the proverbial red-headed step child. That would be a break from what they get now. LOL

A final point of note on this subject, is the fuel pump push rod. I am seeing some that have huge wear in some cases.....and of course, this is why you want an oil that has some properties for such wear....that modern engines have designed out. Ours still suffer this type of wear issues that need some specific lube properties. I am a believer in using break in oils, and for these engines, an oil with some ZDDP, like the diesel oils. However, as above, you can use a modern Mobil 1 or other, then use a taste of additive, just for my paranoia. I have purchased a new push rod for my fuel pump replacement job...just in case.

Back