Oil pressure problems

I don't see anything unsual on the gasket. Was it extremely tight or loose? I'd screw on a new one, top it off and watch it idle while you are under it. The correct torque is hand-tight/snug with oil on the gasket. Maybe have someone rev it for 30 seconds after the pressure gets back to normal.

Keep an eye on it and if the problem ceases, probably a bad crimp on the filter.

Dan:

From what I can see of the filter mating surface, it appears to be distorted from being over tightened. Try a new filter Hastings LF 115 or other quality filter, remember they are supposed to be tightened no more than 1/2 turn after the filter contacts the base.
I think that a new filter will solve your problem.

Point to note... for those who denounce "idiot lights", you'd never identify this problem with a gauge. The air-sucking moments would be far to brief to see on a gauge, especially a thermal gauge.

But then again, you'd never see low pressure until it was really low, with just a light.

That's why both are best, and we should all drive Imperials. The dual sensor is really something they should have done on musclecars, not just Mr. Drysdale's sled.

FWIW... most oil filters have an internal bypass valve... piece of stamped tin usually (think the popper on a baby food jar). If it is weak it can kill pressure at low speeds and wink a light at you too.

Already solved with the new filter and top off... now watch for a recurrence because that means you're going to have to work harder.

Point to note... for those who denounce "idiot lights", you'd never identify this problem with a gauge. The air-sucking moments would be far to brief to see on a gauge, especially a thermal gauge.

But then again, you'd never see low pressure until it was really low, with just a light.

That's why both are best, and we should all drive Imperials. The dual sensor is really something they should have done on musclecars, not just Mr. Drysdale's sled.

I'm not sure why you choose to respond to my post with that info. All I said was "YaY" as in I'm happy he's resolved his problem. I don't disagree with the point mind you

You are reading way too much into my reply. Not every forum uses the same "quote" reply format. Some don't have a text box and a reply simply starts the next post. I apologize profusely for the offense.

You are reading way too much into my reply. Not every forum uses the same "quote" reply format. Some don't have a text box and a reply simply starts the next post. I apologize profusely for the offense.

No I'm not reading too much into your reply but we're good and I appreciate the clarification.

I was just wondering. Normally if you quote a person you are directing your response to them or replying to them specifically.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and nonjudgmental support. I felt kinda dumb asking about this when it turned out to be a simple fix but I've been a Ford guy up till now, this Fury's my first Mopar and it's in damn good shape and I intend on keeping it that way! It's survived forty-four years and I hope to keep it going at its best for hopefully at least another forty-four years!!!!

The idiot light saved my engine last fall while driving at night
If I had only a gauge I may have fried my engine

Thanks again for everyone's advice and nonjudgmental support. I felt kinda dumb asking about this when it turned out to be a simple fix but I've been a Ford guy up till now, this Fury's my first Mopar and it's in damn good shape and I intend on keeping it that way! It's survived forty-four years and I hope to keep it going at its best for hopefully at least another forty-four years!!!!
It's OK... in fact it's nice to see someone moving up in the world...:rolleyes:

Don't let the Plymouth scare you... all the same basics as your prior vehicles, and you have found the home of some of the most helpful car guys I've come across to help with the details.

Welcome to Mopar ownership and this excellent forum. I too was a devout Church of Ford goer until I bought a 1966 New Yorker in 2004 w a 440. THAT converted me. Extreme sickness prevented me from repairing the rear main seal then (2005) so I had to sell it, but now we're blessed w a 1966 Newport, (Mathilda) w a 383. Read up a little on allpar.com about how these B/RB V8s were the brainspawn of Villelm Veertman, the greatest automotive engine genius to draw breath in my estimation. This man GOT IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME on pretty much everything he did, including the V-10 he and Carrol Shelby collaborated on for the Viper.

We recently have been blessed w a 1977 400 that came from a small RV which I mean to check, repair and build as a replacement for the 383 we now have in Old Tilly. Its a fine engine mind you, and I had a low oil pressure scare last summer which Cantflip among others was MOST helpful on. I now surmise in my case we have a worn pump, which while it still delivers a decent 50 psi at angular speeds over 1000 rpm, is getting a bit low (15-20 psi) at idle of 550 rpm. Having checked oil pan and pickup tube and found no debris, I'll likely replace my pump this summer, to be safe. I'm also will be working that 400 in the engine cradle I built for the purpose, so as soon as I get the motor good and cleaned off, there WILL be pix for the Forum.

Again, welcome to owning Detroit's BEST brand! MOPAR OR NO CAR!

Back