Oil recommendations 1976 440

zombie

Reaction score
Anyone have a oil recommendations for a 1976 440 stock high mile motor I’ve usually always used 10-30 or 10-40 any thoughts on rottella use ?

Nothing but Penn Grade here. I’ve always run straight 40 weight in my almost 160k mile 440 however this year I started driving it regularly a lot earlier so I’m running 10w-40.

Anyone have a oil recommendations for a 1976 440 stock high mile motor I’ve usually always used 10-30 or 10-40 any thoughts on rottella use ?

Like Matt, I'm running Penn Grade oil in my '66 440 TNT with 90K miles. But I use 20W-50 weight.

I evolved into Rotella T 5W-40 (syn) years ago for the zddp levels. Usually better detergency additives than many "gas" motor oils, from what I've seen. No problems at all. Used to use Castrol GTX until zddp levels went lower than "SL" (1000ppm) levels, then looked around for something equally as good, which turned out to be Rotella T (now T6) 5W-40.

The OTHER reason is that it's available everywhere, which can be a factor, too. Nothing against Brad Penn, but it appears it's more of a regional/niche brand which has become more nationally-available via Summit and others now selling it. BTAIM.

Be careful of some marketing strategies, too! One maker has a former NASCAR associate as their motor oil spokesperson. He says "NO diesel oil", but then, his employer makes a few higher-zddp products which would compete with Rotella T products. Any bias?

Availability, zddp, good pricing, and product stability over the years are some key factors in my decision.

When new, the recommended viscosity went from 30W (consistently over 32 degrees F) to 20W-50. 10W-30 or 10W-40, back then, were typically good choices.

Just some observations and thoughts,
CBODY67

Wheels,tires....and oil.
Ask 3 people and get three different answers.
Nothing wrong with that.
Base the oil recommendation on driving conditions/environments and higher mileage.
Is there any oil consumption at this point?
Here is my 2 cents;
For ten years in my 73 Satellite wagon,318 with 79,000 miles I ran Penzoil High Mileage 10w30 with STP or Lucas oil supplement.
I rebuilt the motor last summer and no damage to the cam and cam bearings.
The crank and cylinder bores did not need any machining.
The BoaB I have over 6K invested in the motor and I am running the same thing.
When on the road, I can grab a bottle anywhere or do an oil change when she is due.
I do not recommend full synthetic in a high mileage motor--speaking from experience it will burn it.
Learned that with the wagon.
Hope this helps.
BoaB november 2017 008.JPG

Wheels,tires....and oil.
Ask 3 people and get three different answers.
Nothing wrong with that.
Base the oil recommendation on driving conditions/environments and higher mileage.
Is there any oil consumption at this point?
Here is my 2 cents;
For ten years in my 73 Satellite wagon,318 with 79,000 miles I ran Penzoil High Mileage 10w30 with STP or Lucas oil supplement.
I rebuilt the motor last summer and no damage to the cam and cam bearings.
The crank and cylinder bores did not need any machining.
The BoaB I have over 6K invested in the motor and I am running the same thing.
When on the road, I can grab a bottle anywhere or do an oil change when she is due.
I do not recommend full synthetic in a high mileage motor--speaking from experience it will burn it.
Learned that with the wagon.
Hope this helps.
View attachment 381212

You gotta get a new camera. . . :poke:

What's the biggest oil you can fit.........

Seriously what’s the difference between the Penn Grade and the cheap “5 quarts for 12 bucks” oil you get at Walmart? I’ve been using the cheap stuff in all my daily drivers for years without issue, changed every 10k.

Seriously what’s the difference between the Penn Grade and the cheap “5 quarts for 12 bucks” oil you get at Walmart? I’ve been using the cheap stuff in all my daily drivers for years without issue, changed every 10k.
Started out in 1965 using recycled oil in the glass bottles for 25 cents a qt.
Before I hung up my overalls recently I used Walmart reg oil.
55 years and never an issue from using cheap oil.
My new vehicles, I get whatever crap they use at the Dealer's $29.95 loss leader Oil Change Special.
I drive. I don't race. This was just an op-ed.

For what it's worth Valvoline VR1 with Zinc 10W30 in my 440.

Seriously what’s the difference between the Penn Grade and the cheap “5 quarts for 12 bucks” oil you get at Walmart? I’ve been using the cheap stuff in all my daily drivers for years without issue, changed every 5k.

That and I always throw in a can of STP Oil Treatment as well, never had a problem!

Mathilda runs best with Motorcraft Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil 10W30, which runs ~$20/5 qt. at Wally-world, and gives a nice 1221 ppm of zinc for that price. I used Rotella T5 10W30 before that, until confirming that they've dropped the zinc content down to "safe" (for catalytic converters!) levels, of less than 1000 ppm. Until I get a chance to replace my heads and cam, I'll stick with this lube, as for the $ I've found nothing better that provides so much zinc. After the anticipated replacements, I'll see about what lubricant(s) may be best beyond the cam break-in.

Are all the oils you guys using have zinc?

Are all the oils you guys using have zinc?
I've been using this, it does...

"Available in convenient 5 quart bottles, the formulation is perfect for the Hot Rod and Classic Car crowd with an increased zinc value of 2100 PPM. Because many of these very special machines often spend long periods (winter for example in some parts of the country) off the roads, a number of the components of the additive package used in Lucas' Marine oils to provide rust and corrosion protection have been included in its unique formula."

Screenshot_2020-06-07 Hot Rod Classic Car 10W-30 Motor Oil.png

Just for giggles, here's their zinc level sheet

Screenshot_2020-06-07 Zinc_Values_MotorOil-MotorcycleOil_5-7-19 - Zinc_Values_MotorcycleOil pdf.png

Last edited:
Back