okay,,more chores...rad and heater core

CanCritter

Reaction score
normaly would just take them in and have them delt with....folks that do this or deal with this sorta crap are in short supply around Paul...so guess l need a lead where to track down a heater core for this car...
also need a rad..never put a old rad in with new engine!! wana keep mine re the mopar P/N on the top of the rad and am looking for place in NW USA that rebuilds these...any other car it would be mute point..would just replace with new but alas this car has me toeing the line somewhat in regards to what lm throwin in it...thanx

I just did the same on my 66 300. I got the heater core new from Rock Auto and had the radiator recored from a shop.

I just did the same on my 66 300. I got the heater core new from Rock Auto and had the radiator recored from a shop.

dang just checked rock auto for the heater core and couldn't find...wouldn't perchance have a link would ya?
Thanx

I've been having a ball shopping with your money since the parts scavaging began.
This is great... :D

realy kinda bites on my end...had l known then what l know now may have balked but the best things in life never come easy...theres always a price to be paid

You might need to have your a/c heater core rebuilt by a good radiator shop that can do those kinds of repairs, including a new core for your radiator as well. Rock Auto does not supply the heater core for your model. NOS cores are not available either as far as I know.

Another option is to try these folks for the heater core:

Custom Aftermarket A/C Systems & Replacement Parts for Hot Rod, Classic, & Vintage Cars/Trucks

or these guys:

Classic Auto Air - Air Conditioning & Heating for 70’s & Older Cars & Trucks.

I know Scott (rexus31) had the system in his 65 300 rebuilt by one of these, and was happy with which ever one it was. You might want to check with him.

I am wondering also what the difference is between heater cores for a/c equipped C body cars between 1970 and 1971, as different part numbers show up in my factory parts books. But when I have pulled those out of various cars, I thought they were the same??!! If they are the same between the two years, then this one on Ebay would work (although the one shown in the photo is not visually quite like the one you need because yours doesn't take the H valve, but they claim they have the correct one):

69 70 71 CHRYSLER 300 W/AC HEATER CORE NEW

Personally I would call them and confirm that they are the same and just go with this one. It is much easier, even if a bit pricey.

Last edited:
Had my '66 recored here in Calgary by City Wide Rad. Stacey is a great guy but Im sure Paul knows a guy down South no?

My 300 does not have factory A/C, the heater core I got from Rock Auto went right in like a factory unit. I had my radiator done by a "Cool Right" shop and he measured then ordered the correct core and it went in just like it was made on day one. I felt the same way as other guys, new engine and trans, why take a chance on a heater core or radiator

actually Paul said there was a rad guy but they tried to sell..none bought and they just closed down....said he got Garrys heater core and rad from rock auto..granted 66 is bit of a stretch to 71..one on ebay is 431$cdn with exchance...will try to find a good one or have original rebuilt...no one will see anyway but want it to work flawlessly...cant abide by mickey moused crap

rad will definitely get recored...am kinda anal about loseing those P/Ns on top of that rad for some reason...if l could git away with it would leave the brass bare and exposed..
May have to have it sent to Stacey here in Calgary to be recored...will have to see what the options are...haven't used City Wide rad but looks like someone l should call tomorrow.
Re Traintechs mention of rad...when l built my 91 gmc builder wouldn't warrentee engine unless rad was replaced due to the fact some of these old rads break down internaly re tranny and oil lines running through them...know the 88-95 gmc-chev rads were prone to breaking down given time...this in turn can pass metal through the rest of the system and ruin a new engine due to metal particles...
the refrence to heater core being replaced as well is good point...l never gave it much thought when l did my 91 but metal can also be in there...if nothing else a good flush...personaly l'll just restore or replace...realy don't wana be ripin out dash ect ect ect replaceing heatercore after the fact

actually Paul said there was a rad guy but they tried to sell..none bought and they just closed down....said he got Garrys heater core and rad from rock auto..granted 66 is bit of a stretch to 71..one on ebay is 431$cdn with exchance...will try to find a good one or have original rebuilt...no one will see anyway but want it to work flawlessly...cant abide by mickey moused crap

rad will definitely get recored...am kinda anal about loseing those P/Ns on top of that rad for some reason...if l could git away with it would leave the brass bare and exposed..
May have to have it sent to Stacey here in Calgary to be recored...will have to see what the options are...haven't used City Wide rad but looks like someone l should call tomorrow.
Re Traintechs mention of rad...when l built my 91 gmc builder wouldn't warrentee engine unless rad was replaced due to the fact some of these old rads break down internaly re tranny and oil lines running through them...know the 88-95 gmc-chev rads were prone to breaking down given time...this in turn can pass metal through the rest of the system and ruin a new engine due to metal particles...
the refrence to heater core being replaced as well is good point...l never gave it much thought when l did my 91 but metal can also be in there...if nothing else a good flush...personaly l'll just restore or replace...realy don't wana be ripin out dash ect ect ect replaceing heatercore after the fact

Did you read my post earlier? The heater core listing I showed on Ebay wasn't even as pricey as the one you are citing, and there was no need for a core since it is a brand new unit?

waiting till morning...need to get Paul to shoot me some pics of one he wants replaced...wana make shure l get the right part...belive l have 2-3 extra drivers side HP manifolds so l look before l leap these days :meh:

With all the efforts you've made so far... wouldn't want it any other way.

...when l built my 91 gmc builder wouldn't warrentee engine unless rad was replaced due to the fact some of these old rads break down internaly re tranny and oil lines running through them...know the 88-95 gmc-chev rads were prone to breaking down given time...this in turn can pass metal through the rest of the system and ruin a new engine due to metal particles...

If you have an engine oil cooler that is integral to the radiator, this would make sense. Otherwise you don't have to worry about a radiator failure interacting with anything other than the cooling system and auto transmission.

I would make sure what you have is sound, but the heater core would never interact with motor oil. It would be a huge PITA if it leaked or was clogged.

The main things to worry about with the radiator is if the transmission cooler is sound and if the radiator and heater core are sound and not clogged with mineral buildup. Assuming the block was cleaned up at the rebuild, the only rust left behind could be boiled out of the cores and if they are in good condition reused. Mineral scale would be from the past owners not using distilled water when mixing coolant. If its too bad to clean, the radiator shop will want to recore. That's a dying industry, but there are some you know of... let them guide you as to your repairs before you invest to heavily.

The reasons I replaced mine was twofold, 1, just like your engine rebuilder mine had the same clause in his warranty. 2, after the cost of the engine and trans rebuild the $600.00 and time to replace them was well worth it. As I said before, I want to be able to drive my car and parts for a 50 year old car are not easy to find.

Welp this is the beast...from what lm hearing this unit is in fairly good shape so were gona send it in with rad to be gone over...
What l need now is a good...er top notch rad shop in the NW Spokane area or Coeur D"alene area...recommendations?

Last edited:

Welp this is the beast...from what lm hearing this unit is in fairly good shape so were gona send it in with rad to be gone over...
What l need now is a good...er top notch rad shop in the NW Spokane area or Coeur D"alene area...recommendations?

In all the years and all the 69 - 73 C bodies that use this radiator core for the a/c cars, I have never had to replace one due to rot out, and some cars even had nasty coolant in them. That has never been the case with any other core, and even the non-a/c cores on these years of C bodies go out just like all the rest. Chrysler really screwed up and gave the vendor of these cores too much money for them to have made them as well as they did. Must have been a new engineer on the job that just sourced it to last and didn't know company policy very well!!:)

In all the years and all the 69 - 73 C bodies that use this radiator core for the a/c cars, I have never had to replace one due to rot out, and some cars even had nasty coolant in them. That has never been the case with any other core, and even the non-a/c cores on these years of C bodies go out just like all the rest. Chrysler really screwed up and gave the vendor of these cores too much money for them to have made them as well as they did. Must have been a new engineer on the job that just sourced it to last and didn't know company policy very well!!:)
:thankyou:

LOL. That's an interesting slant that is probably true, too.
He took the position of the guy they transferred to pollution control.

Back