Opinions Please....

Dobalovr

Being on the Cbody diet SUCKS!
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok so without going into too much detail I need to know the rarity of the following car that I have come across.....

1969 Chrysler Newport Convertible CE27
Console shift
E63 HP383
F9 Emerald Green with black top
Tan interior T3
ORIGINAL SPORTGRAIN CAR

Some other options but not important to rarity. My question is how rare is this combination? Seems to me it is very rare.

Opinions??

the optional sportgrain is not to common.
Doesn't depend on the outer colour combo IMHO.

I do not know of any production numbers of the sportsgrain, many cars are probably dead or got repainted without the grain reinstalled

They do pop up over the years once in a while

Carsten

the optional sportgrain is not to common.
Doesn't depend on the outer colour combo IMHO.

I do not know of any production numbers of the sportsgrain, many cars are probably dead or got repainted without the grain reinstalled

They do pop up over the years once in a while

Carsten

So rare but how desirable would be the next question

So rare but how desirable would be the next question

I would say it this way:
I personally don't feel the need to get one for my collection as I love woodgrain on wagons but not HTs or CVs. And I never meet another Fuselage guy who thought it would be great to own one of those.

So IMHO they are fairly rare but not valuable or desireable to most.
There is one of those as a project for sale on moparts right now IIRC.

Carsten

The sports grain Option is a nice conversation Piece, not so sure if rarity in this case multiplies its desirability beyond that of the desirabilty of it being a full size convertible.
Most People will prefer the 300 over any Newport convertible I guess.

Well, if you can get it cheap and have a place to keep it grab it. Seems to me that Bill Watson in Vancouver would know about rarity. You can always sell it later if you wish.

According to Wikipedia in 1968 the sportsgrain production was 965 hardtops and 175 convertibles. In 1969 they sold so few they didn't release production figures so its a rare one.

Last edited:
The sports grain Option is a nice conversation Piece, not so sure if rarity in this case multiplies its desirability beyond that of the desirabilty of it being a full size convertible.
Most People will prefer the 300 over any Newport convertible I guess.

Sportgrain aside it still is a console shift E63 vert - fun car IMHO

Anecdotally very rare but as mentioned where can you find the #'s? There's a couple members here that might have an idea. It would be a lot of fun to own only because of the interesting conversations it would generate.

I love the sports grain option on a slab, but a fusie it doesn't seem to work. I remember seeing one on eBay a while back, it was discussed here. I would have to agree with the above, rare, yes, desirable, not so much.

With less than 1500 '69 Newport convertibles built, I think it's around 1100-1200, I consider them all rare, then and more so now. With those options? Purely speculation, could be a "One of One", at most one of twenty four"?

With less than 1500 '69 Newport convertibles built, I think it's around 1100-1200, I consider them all rare, then and more so now. With those options? Purely speculation, could be a "One of One", at most one of twenty four"?

I agree - from what I have been able to decipher it is likely one of less than 200 made. Only 175 68 verts with sportsgrain were produced. Chrysler did not keep records for 69 apparently on A58 cars

Back