Opinions Please

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Due to the amount of work on customers cars I have no time to work on my own so I'm trying to "thin the herd". I put my 69 Monaco Wagon and my 81 Plymouth Caravelle wagon on E-bay with very disapointing results. I put what I thought were reasonable reserves on them. $1500 on the Monaco and $2400 on the Caravelle. These are both good running daily driver type cars. The Caravelle has ice cold ac passes smog has a nice set of road wheels and runs and drives great. Has almost no rust and a better than average interior. The bidding ended at $1136. The Monaco has tha HP 383 with dual exhaust, HP manifolds, dual snorkle air cleaner and brand nrw electronic ignition. It does have some rust and a dented tailgate but it runs and drives great. The bidding ended at $1000. Heck if I put it on a derby website as a rolling shell it would bring that much. I'm not under any illusions that these are high dollar high demand cars but were my reserves reasonable or not?

I have no clue about the Caravelle but for the Monaco wagon the reserve was reasonable, Chris. I know the car and like it. But at least for the -average- german market it is too rough cosmetically, only in scandinavia you might have a small chance.

Despite from that: It is a daily driver typ of car and I hope it survives. It is worth the money (engine/trans + scrap metal;derby gays). Some out there should use it as a spare time daily.

Carsten

I think those are reasonable expectations for the cars. I will ask my neighbor down the road if he's interested in the wagon. He loves my 68 T/C wagon, and asked me to keep an eye open for a 70/80's wagon. He's not a car guy, so I'm sure I'd be "helping" on it...so a mopar would be "my" preference. ;) If I had room I'd by that wagon in a heart beat! Wonder if I can talk the wife into it.....Hmmmm.

Poor bidding could also be cuased by the time of year. Lots of people are getting the projects they picked up in fall/winter ready for the road.

I remember both cars and the condition and reserves are reasonable.

Your Monaco wagon is pretty cool, I can't imagine why someone would not cough up the bucks and scoop that up as a daily driver.....383HP...what's there to think about?!

I have no idea on the 81 Caravelle but the $1.5K on the 69 Monaco Wagon was certainly reasonable. IMHO there's a floor on the the price of good running and driving cars simply based on utility value for a daily driver to get to school, work, parts chaser, fishing car etc, and while I used Kentucky windage to arrive at that figure I'd place the floor at least at $1.5K

That Monaco was on my watch list. I've been trying to convince mom on it. (She wants a Mopar wagon or a 68-73 Wagoneer.)

That Monaco was on my watch list. I've been trying to convince mom on it. (She wants a Mopar wagon or a 68-73 Wagoneer.)

The wagon would have more daily utility value and drive way better than a Wagoneer. Hope that helps you convince her theo.

She's been wanting to replace her '05 Impala and after seeing the Tornadoes go through and how the cars get trapped she wants something with 4WD. If this were a 6 or a 318 I'd have an easier time convincing.

Were you ever able to locate a replacement tailgate for the '69?
Yes I did Greg. Murray Park has one. I haven't bought it yet because I didn't want to pay $250 in shipping and spend the time painting it and installing it just to sell the car. If I wind up keeping it my buddy who is driving his truck to Carlisle is going by Murray's on the way home to Arizona and will bring it back for me.

1500 for the Monaco is cheap. Engine and tranny alone are worth 2500. I sold my rusted out 73 T&C after I bought my current one for 2750 to a guy from Ohio that wanted the engine land tranny for his 73 charger..... Yours would drop into a nice road runner or super bee....TMO

Here's what she looked like when I sold her

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was about to tell you what Polara71 just told you Chris. Murrey and Mindy have 6 or 8 spots down near gate 7 near the end of row "N". BTW If your Car-Bud is driving, why not just supply him with a tow bar and set one of 'um up in the Car Coral. Hey, even if it doesn't sell you've saved rental car charges aye? See how easy I can complicate your life? Jer

I was about to tell you what Polara71 just told you Chris. Murrey and Mindy have 6 or 8 spots down near gate 7 near the end of row "N". BTW If your Car-Bud is driving, why not just supply him with a tow bar and set one of 'um up in the Car Coral. Hey, even if it doesn't sell you've saved rental car charges aye? See how easy I can complicate your life? Jer

Towing it all the way across country would be too much of a hassle for a car that apparantly is only worth $1000. Twice on E-bay and 6 months on Craigslist and that's the dest offer I've received. I've got a standing offer from a guy for the drivetrain so that's probably what's gonna happen.

Back