ORIGINAL 1969 POLARA CHP RESURECTION

what made up your mind to move Dave?
If he had to pick one state knowing him... I'm guessing Idaho.

eab.png

:thumbsup:

I'm all about your idea to experience the west, but threads get "off track" a lot, so thanks for the correction Dave.

Last edited:
IMG_5336.JPG
I took Alan's advise with the license plates and got a correct pair with the "correct" (approximate) number my car would have had.

Baby steps..but moving forward.

IMG_5423.JPG
IMG_5424.JPG
Just postings this for sh!ts and giggles,...not really any progress, but it's something.

Alan, informed me my numbers are off on the plate, so I'll have to correct that later...it's good enough until I "show" the car.

You are making me want to do a squad car, as if I don't have enough projects.

I know of an original 1969 Fury 383 HP police car for sale. Decent project, Broadcast Sheet, super-duper rare....but you have to like wagons. Mid-West location, a friend has it.

I know of an original 1969 Fury 383 HP police car for sale. Decent project, Broadcast Sheet, super-duper rare....but you have to like wagons. Mid-West location, a friend has it.
A wagon? Now I want a squad car! That would be awesome, you don't see many of those.

8FA74566-6B33-40C9-AFFF-E10C93FD0059.jpeg
60ABB220-E080-4763-8A7C-CAD5B633F439.jpeg
92CD79C1-509C-41A6-918A-7168988B0F7A.jpeg
....I spent 5 hours last night with a razor blade removing yellow paint,...it comes off 1/32 of an inch at a time..slow but mostly consistent process. That’s the only way to remove the paint where previous body work by the CHP was done. It’s about 98% back to original day one MoPar CHP paint.

I wet sanded the inner door jamb, and found the original unit number. Unit 4477, as confirmed by Allan/ MrMoparCHP. So that’s cool!

Allan, knows more about the unit numbers than most people, maybe he can comment on what they actually mean, why they are there and how many are left.

Last edited:
65CE46B2-A57A-4E25-8810-C5FE921462D4.jpeg
C9F34E20-1878-41B5-BB5F-F6B41A7D2FD9.jpeg
A wet cut with 1500 to smooth the texture. I’ll give it a final lap later.

95% of the “day 2” CHP yellow has been removed with water pressure and mechanically with a specially cut razor blade.

The goal is to save the original paint and have a decent appearance from 10 feet.

Already looks pretty good, as it appears you can see the building roof supports in the reflection. Nice work!

Last edited:
i'm curious about the specially cut razor blade.

I've seen a Corvette stripped this way, but I don't think the blade was "special" in any way. The Corvette guys do it this way because chemical strippers will get in the 'glass and any thing too abrasive like sand blasting will eat at the 'glass. When my buddy stripped the Corvette he was removing 1 layer at a time and we saw where the car was factory orange, repainted white, then repainted orange.

Here's a quick video

Last edited:
The “Corvette” method of stripping paint is fine as long as you don’t mind/care about the original substrate, or finish.

If you are trying to remove layers of paint and want to NOT harm damage the substrate you’ll need a less aggressive method.

If you are trying to remove layers of paint and want to NOT harm damage the substrate you’ll need a less aggressive method.

So did you have a special cut tool, or where you just being extra careful?

And it's looking great. :thumbsup:

Back