Original paint color versus color change on fuselage cars

NWPT70

Reaction score
I have a 70 Newport two door in the process of full restoration. Id like to hear some opinions whether changing the color can make or break the value of the finished car. The car's original paint is Citron Gold Metallic with black top and interior. I was considering repainting the car jet black. Any opposition to this? I just was considering a color change to something I really want. I guess my main concern is a color change really effect the value of these cars? Anybody have any suggestions on paint colors?

Last edited:
I love black cars.... I'm slightly addicted to them actually.
The problems are many..... Black shows everything! First, it will cost you more to have it painted black. The long quarters are a nightmare to block sand well enough for black. Then there's the upkeep. Swirl marks are your enemy and you have to be extremely careful when you wash (which is often) and when you wipe it down (which is often). You'll find yourself with a bottle of detail spray in your hand all the time....

As I said, I love black cars.... I even discussed having my brown 70 300 painted black with my body shop. They had an intervention where all my friends and relatives sat around and told me how I was an addict and I need to stop. The car got painted brown. Here's a thread on it.

Finally in the body shop!

As far as the color change, it's your car. Paint it the color you like. If it were a rare car, I would say it needs to be the OE color, but I don't even argue that point very well. I'm just going to try to talk you out of black.

My name is John, and I'm addicted to black cars.

I got a bit of flack for changing mine, but the original colour didn't float my boat, and that's what matters the most. Build the car for you, not the next guy. That being said, black is too much work and maintenance.

I agree with everything said, I'm still painting mine black.

Stay with the Gold.
1970-chrysler-newport.jpg

changing colour hurts the value on a rare popular car. Like a SFGT in example.
In case of a Newport you should just do what you want. They are less collectible and on the mod side many guys like black (for what reason ever)

Carsten

You say you're doing a complete restoration so I assume then you'd be painting the engine bay, trunk compartment and door jambs anyway. If so no more work to change the color.

I love that car, is it yours? I think I will be staying with gold.

My question to anyone who might know is, did Chrysler make 2 gold colors? The car I attached below seems to be darker but very similar to Citron gold Metallic. I was taking a guess my car was Citron Gold based on my judgement but i'm thinking it looks more on the darker side.

newport1.jpg

Its hard to tell from the aged and weathered patina look but can anyone tell me if this appears to be Citron Gold Metallic or a darker gold Chrysler offered? I know it would be of help to get the code off the car's tag but I do not have access to the car right now as it is getting its new vinyl top installed at a shop.

12470043_10153404730463174_1832018165_o.jpeg

I love that car, is it yours? I think I will be staying with gold.

My question to anyone who might know is, did Chrysler make 2 gold colors? The car I attached below seems to be darker but very similar to Citron gold Metallic. I was taking a guess my car was Citron Gold based on my judgement but i'm thinking it looks more on the darker side.

Its hard to tell from the aged and weathered patina look but can anyone tell me if this appears to be Citron Gold Metallic or a darker gold Chrysler offered? I know it would be of help to get the code off the car's tag but I do not have access to the car right now as it is getting its new vinyl top installed at a shop.

It is really hard to compare the two colours due to the weathering on one of them, as well as the natural vs. artificial lighting.

Well....our C's aren't worth very much to begin with so if black is the color you want....go for it. If you are like me and not going to sell the car let the lucky relative or who ever gets the car after you are gone worry about the right color paint. Paint it the color you want and enjoy the car. I would probably say that our cars won't be worth very much more 50 years from now than they are worth now. Your car would look very good in black and road wheels!

It is really hard to compare the two colours due to the weathering on one of them, as well as the natural vs. artificial lighting.

That is true, was just wondering if anyone possible knew if two shades of gold were offered. I am trying to get my hands on a factory color chart but haven't had any luck locating one.

Back