Your thoughts on paint color change 1966 Imperial convertible

throttleman

Reaction score
Just looking for honest opinions on a color change for a 1966 imperial convertible, it is currently the original gold dust Gold, and it is a Shreiner car, i could live with that color easy but i like some of the other colors it came in that year, i have always kept all my classics as original as possible, and this car is no exception , and i realize there are not a lot of these left , what are your thoughts on the change in the value or turn off of the car if i went that route, this might be the first time i've considered doing this, thinking Black, or a even saw a photo online of a Dark blue, i have time to think about this because it will be a year or so for this to even start to happen, i may even try and save the original paint , but the small rust specs concern me a little, Thoughts

IMG_0635.jpg

Just looking for honest opinions on a color change for a 1966 imperial convertible, it is currently the original gold dust Gold, and it is a Shreiner car, i could live with that color easy but i like some of the other colors it came in that year, i have always kept all my classics as original as possible, and this car is no exception , and i realize there are not a lot of these left , what are your thoughts on the change in the value or turn off of the car if i went that route, this might be the first time i've considered doing this, thinking Black, or a even saw a photo online of a Dark blue, i have time to think about this because it will be a year or so for this to even start to happen, i may even try and save the original paint , but the small rust specs concern me a little, Thoughts

View attachment 647279

I would stay with the gold. Black shows any imperfections more than any other color.

I know there will always be the comments about "keeping it original", but is the paint on the car now the OEM-applied paint or has it been repainted previously? Is the car in need of a serious restoration or just a repaint?

This is important as if you are going to do a full restoration, with the doors and front end sheetmetal removed for refinishing, not a lot more effort to do a complete color change while you're at it. Similar labor, just different materials used.

If the desire is for new paint with fresh metallic in it, then a basecoat/clearcoat finish in the original color might be all that's needed. Less expensive, too. PLUS the hard shine many seem to expect these days when they see an older car that has been repainted. No matter how much different it might be from the original acrylic enamel sheen.

Of course, the resultant quality of the ending paint job will be more important.

I don't know that I've seen many (or any) of these cars which sport a different color than what they left the factory with. Perhaps it is the additiional labor involved in doing the color change correctly and so that it isn't obvious? Given the car's history, might be best to use the existing color

Given the car's history, might be best to leave it the color it is.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Imperials are an upline, elegant car. Gold signifies regal and classy so it fits this perception.

Black would look great and is befitting a luxury top of the line car like this but they do really show dirt and imperfections like FURYGT said.

White would look great too though and not show dirt or imperfections as much.

What color is the interior? Gold?

I love the Chrysler gold colors. I would stay with gold.
Generally, if you change something that can't be changed back with a weekend of parts swapping, that change decreases the value of the car.
My 71 Fury GY8 gold.
PXL_20220819_153010892.jpg

How did I know you were going to say black?

black paint color is not that good. Hot out in the sun, doesn't show the body lines, hard to keep it nice and shiny without surface scratches.

I like gold cars!

It's a Shriner car. You have to keep the original Shriner color.
Change the color and its Shriner provenance goes down the toilet.
That would be like painting a 300 Hurst a different color.

Doing a color change correctly would involve a lot more time and money obviously. Not sure you would get your money back out of it if you were to sell after awhile. That is a big decision you will need to make. If it were mine, I'd keep the original color. That color is a great one on an Imperial, very classy looking, as it should be.

I absolutely love a black car. Someone else's. Nothing looks better when it is shiny and new, but it is the hardest to keep looking great. Been there, done that. Won't do it again.
Shows every speck of dirt, every swirl, every ding. Car ends up owning your life to maintain appearance.

My wife’s BMW is a very dark blue color, almost black. Your convertible would look gorgeous in deep blue.

My opinion is that if the extra money takes away from other things restoration tasks you would otherwise do on the car, then leave it gold, which is very attractive. If money is no object, change the color to what you like. You only live once.

With 514 66 convertibles built, and over half a decade later, even fewer are on the road.
So, my suggestion stay with original color.
Paint jobs are not cheap, color changes only drives up the cost in supplies and prepping the body in every nook and cranny.
Any bolt on mods or upgrades are fine and are easily reversible.
Paint color change, Not so easy to reverse.
Hope this helps.

First, it’s your car. If you are not concerned with reselling price, do it the way you want to.
That being said- if you do consider actual resrll value- keep it original. Imperials owners are sticklers for originality, and will take off money for non factory regardless of how perfect it is.

Also, a color change on a Mopar means the whole car: interior sills, door jambs, trunk interior, engine bay, and exterior have to be done. The car has to be taken way apart to do it in a manner that is acceptable even to hobbyist moparphiles. Materials are at the most expensive I’ve ever seen and ive been painting cars since the 80s and it will take a lot of material for that car. Dark colors are harder to get right because they become mirrors that show every imperfection.

So if you go for a color change you’ll have to pay a bit more for everything, and when time comes to sell it you’ll lose a little just because you changed it.

I am fine with a color change as long as its a color change to another color that would be correct for the year make and model. If a car is factory painted in a generally undesirable color or an overly common color for the model, such as green or gold, a color change to a more desirable color may actually make it easier to sell later. I believe (though I could be wrong) that if done correctly, and done in a factory color that was originally available on the car, then you don't even loose any points for judging at an AACA judged event.

Personally, I once avoided green cars like the plague. But, try to find a late 60's A body convertible or B body muscle car and you'll find, a large percentage were green. I was missing out on some nice cars by avoiding green ones. Finally decided to just get the best example I could afford, of what I wanted and if ended up being green, to just change the color. Now, I have a 68 Charger RT that was triple green from the factory, but is now red with black vinyl top, white interior and white bumble be stripe. I also bought a green 318 68 Barracuda convertible that I had repainted in the desirable one year only Surf Turquoise Metallic color. More recently, I bought a green 68 340 4 speed Barracuda Formula S convertible. That one is one of 60 built. Most of the other 68 340-S convertibles I've seen are the same dark green. The plan is to change the color on that one to the one year only Electric Blue Metallic color. If any of those three cars were any color other than green or gold, I would have restored them in the original color.

As for your Imperial, I have always thought that Imperials look best in black or dark blue. To me, your planned color change would make it more appealing and more desirable. But, that said, that shade of gold on your 66 actually doesn't look bad at all. It's much better than the 66 citron green-gold that was common on other 66 Mopars, and looks better than the 67-68 gold that was also so common on all Mopars in those years (wish the better looking but seldom seen Medium Tan Metallic was the more common 67-68 color instead).

Last edited:
I love black cars... Had a few and had to promise myself never to buy another... Too much upkeep, even for me (who waxes cars as stress relief) and that yellow pollen we have here gets the car looking bad in less than an hour. But I still love them.

IMHO, I would lean towards keeping it the original gold. As said, the Shriner's provenance is part of the car. Gold looks good and how many gold cars do you see at any show?

Since you are undecided, then I would suggest keeping the original color.. It's really going to look great in that gold and black combo that it is.

But I still love black cars....

I'm in favour of making the car what you want it to be. Life's too short to put up with compromises.

That said, I go through a calculus when changing colours:

The Shriner aspect has already been discussed...you'll lose some resale value changing it. That said I am changing my 68 Imperial Shriner car because I literally cannot reasonably restore the car to factory. The green top and interior are really impractical to restore in green...especially the top. Nobody makes a green top for these cars that would approximate stock.

I normally only change colour to black (which I love...) if the car is really straight to begin with...for the reasons mentioned.

I personally would keep it in the orginal gold metallic. I think your orginal paint is probably dull and lost it's luster. I couldn't be happier with the fresh, now 10 years old, saddle bronze paint on Goldie.

20230819_140455.jpg

If you really start to add up the the extra labor to do a PROPER quality color change I don’t think it’s any exaggeration to say it’s easily double.

A number of things will have to be removed from the car to execute that color change. Everything that you remove carries the risk of some sort of damage/breakage. You don’t just run to the Internet/Junkyard for old imperial parts PLUS Almost everything carries a hefty price tag.

That said: My ‘62 300 has a color change from dove gray to festival red.
Whoever did the work did a very good job and I would call it a solid nine out of 10 for the quality of the color change. A proper ‘teardown’ was executed for red in all of the correct factory places. I’ve had to spend a fair amount of time fixing any number of broken clips, missing bolts, misaligned items, etc. Some of the trim carries minor damage from removal as well.
The color change quality is exceptional. The only reason I caught the difference was shortly after purchase I had the car in the air and rolling around underneath I noticed the gray paint underneath the AC/heater box.

The car looks fantastic. And yes, I would certainly have to admit the red looks so much better than the original gray from the factory. I would never have purchased the car if it was still in its original color. So there you go……. :)

Steve weim55 Colorado

Last edited:
Back