Original Vacuum Advance failed, no replacements available

ALTOcal69

Reaction score
My vacuum advance is no longer holding any vacuum. Original distributor in 383 with pertronix II upgrade. I want the advance at idle, but no one makes a replacement canister for this setup. I can buy NOS canisters but at $200+ might as well but a modern distributor from MSD. Any ideas?

My vacuum advance is no longer holding any vacuum. Original distributor in 383 with pertronix II upgrade. I want the advance at idle, but no one makes a replacement canister for this setup. I can buy NOS canisters but at $200+ might as well but a modern distributor from MSD. Any ideas?

Try www.philbingroup.com they had them the last time I checked. Have your distributor number handy, they will need it to reference the correct advance.

Dave

Better yet is is cast iron or aluminum. for aluminum I can get one, for cast I can make a arm by cutting off the old one and spot weld it on the new unit.

Which arm do you need? I have some nos and used.
Also what is the stamped number on the arm.
DSC02044.JPG
DSC01979.JPG
DSC01980.JPG

Yup, net even sure why, not just points or electronic, have seen both styles on either. Look at the pics one is kind of straight, one is curved inward, There are no store bought ones available that I know of for the straight arm ones. Nos can also be a crapshoot if it is still good, usually no returns on them either. This is becoming a pretty big issue lately I get a lot of messages for them and I am almost out also of nos ones (old store stock)

You really want to se a picture of it before you buy it. E bay is the worst for them there are a ton of listings for say 440 but it is a smallblock one that goes into a 440 model car, even rock auto sends the one with the curved arm and that's a pia to return.

Tonys Parts believe he is a sponsor also.

I redrilled my point plate to use the later model ones that are available. Yes I know it is not exactly what the factory laid out for my 67-70-76 engine but don't care either runs good, well over 50° at cruising, done.

I think the most cost effective approach to this issue is to just get a new distributor. I've looked high and low over 6 months now, and for the price of my rare one, or less, I can get a brand new distributor. This is the route I plan on.

I think the most cost effective approach to this issue is to just get a new distributor. I've looked high and low over 6 months now, and for the price of my rare one, or less, I can get a brand new distributor. This is the route I plan on.
IDK... I have faith issues that the new overseas stuff will work right. I also put one on the shelf a while back when another order allowed me to buy it for around $50. I haven't installed it, nor do I intend to, but it makes a good security blanket type item. It will probably travel to Carlisle again in my box of spares... which helps assure nobody will need it.

Back