Overhaulin:

Foose will never touch a C body because they are too difficult to get parts for, and they not supported by the aftermarket. That show is like most other car shows...one LONG commercial for Summit, OPG, etc...none of whom cater to the C body.

This alone only proves to me that Chip Foose is not at all as great as he and many of his followers thinks he is !!! :icon_pray:

After-all anybody can be a parts changer when they have brand new parts that are available to them. (that's the easy stuff) That's why its the guys & gals on this site the share the passion, ingenuity and knowledge to work and restore our C-Bodies into the fine works of art that they have have become. C-Body owners are a special breed car enthusiast and in my eyes are many steps above the part changers of many of the other overrated classic cars out there with money replaceable parts at their disposal. :eek:ld_school:

I can't agree that he is just a parts changer. I think the time constraints of the show limit huge fabrication. There has been times on the show where he has narrowed bumpers, cut and reworked trim, shown him working a body hammer like a pro.

If most on here are not parts changers, what would you call them? I have seen little to no fabrication on this site other than some normal body work.

i ain't standing up for Foose, his vision is way different than mine, but I can give credit where it is due.

I can't agree that he is just a parts changer. I think the time constraints of the show limit huge fabrication. There has been times on the show where he has narrowed bumpers, cut and reworked trim, shown him working a body hammer like a pro.

If most on here are not parts changers, what would you call them? I have seen little to no fabrication on this site other than some normal body work.

i ain't standing up for Foose, his vision is way different than mine, but I can give credit where it is due.

For those of you who think Chip Foose is just another builder who uses new parts,maybe you'd better read this.Not only has he won the Riddler award more than any other builder,but has built cars for movies,worked with GM,Ford and Chrysler with designs,along with the various cars that were hand formed to win top notch awards.All this doesn't even include all the cars built for Overhauliun' and when he was President at Boyd Coddingtons company,where he designed some of his more popular builds.Read the short story here.......
http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Biography

I thought I was talking about the show where it's all remove/buy/replace and Foose is reduced to making pretty drawings and matching key chains.

Posted via Topify on Android

I thought I was talking about the show where it's all remove/buy/replace and Foose is reduced to making pretty drawings and matching key chains.

Posted via Topify on Android

Agreed, the show is pretty much as you state. I was getting the vibe that guys were saying/thinking Chip wasn't a real builder in the real world. When they couldn't be any more wrong. But as with many things, when something does not suit your own tastes (which is almost unanimous in here about chips designs, myself included) then automatically chip sucks and can't weld.

Iam sorry folks the shaved door handles, and rubber band tires on a classic don't look right!!
To each there own!! If you want auto-meter gauges, and a 3,000 watt stereo, and a 4 tone paint job with magnaslow mufflers CHIP is your guy!! Look at his shows. The engines are crates!! Very rarly does he build the orig engine. Most all his cars get 4 wheel disc brakes, most all his cars get 18" or larger wheels. Its one big advertisement infomercial. The cars are sponsored by OPG, Or Year One, Or B.E.A. He uses one off chip wheels.

Look at the charger build pics.
http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Overhaulin_Season_6_Impala

Speaking of Chip's fabrication abilities, did any of you guys see the episode with the Lotus Elan and Jay Leno? Chip did a LOT of fabrication on that car. He cut and moved the nose of the car back four inches, changed the headlight openeings to incorporate Porsche 9XX headlights, totally cut and re-did the "frenched" bumpers, changed the way the doors fit the body by adding three inches to their height and cutting the roof to fit the new doors. He also custom fabricated a beautiful front motor mount using two '48 Merc flathead rubber donut mounts.

Of course this build was several months in duration - not the typical one-week Overhaulin' build.

His fab skills are great. He does great customs. Merc's, chevy's t buckets, coupes Ford Cadi's ect. Its just my opinion. But I don't think he should ruin the originality of a muscle car to make it a chip car. Let's say he started with an all orig 1968 Chrysler Newport Factory 440 L code car. Power everything all available options. Car is complete, just needs redone. Engine, trans, rearend, paint, and interior. Its a rust-free car. Ok now car has a 3Rd gen hemi 6.1, overdrive trans, ford 9" rear. 4 wheel disc brakes, Foose wheels, Foose paint, Foose stereo, Foose interior ect. Some would say car is worth more cause the legend touched it!! Some would say car is worth less cause he touched it. Now who is to decide cars actual value?? Insurance says its worth 20,000. Chip says its worth 65,000. Now you had an all orig classic, that's now a Restomod. You get to play in the car shows with the 100,000 dollar corvette's. Iam sorry I'll keep my classic's and build the way I want to!!

You know. " if it's free, it's for me ". You could always sell it and get the car you want.

Exactly! Are some of you guys out there saying you'd rather be driving around in an original car that needs a total restoration(paint,interior,mechanicals) rather than something that's a restomod? I think some of you are just stuck in the past.I'm all for keeping a clean car back to it's original glory,but lets face it,most of the C-bodies out there are far from being in glorious condition,and the fact that these cars can use some upgrading is another story.The brakes were OK at best and would be considered fair by today's standards.What do you do when the car in front of you stops twenty feet ahead of you and you slam into his backside? Mechanical wise,these cars could benefit from fuel injection,or at least better fuel economy.Lets face it,when gas keeps going up,and we all have to use premium fuel,what are you going to do,pay $150 or more just to fill up your tank so you can drive 200 miles or are you gonna leave it sit in the garage and use it as a "Sunday Driver" and stare at it? That's like buying a pair of underware and not expecting them to get stained,lol.The purpose of a car is for transportation from point A to point B.As far as Foose styling a car,he doesn't just do restomods,he also does restorations too.Some of you seem to watch too much tv and don't follow the automotive industry much.I hate to tell you,but life didn't end back in the seventies! I don't mean this to sound harsh people,but we're living in 2014 and most of these cars were built nearly fifty years ago.I'm sure with most of you,these are not your "daily driver",otherwise I'm pretty sure you'd want them to handle better,stop better,and have almost every option you have in your modern car.When was the last time you looked at the value of a C-Body? I don't see the prices of these cars skyrocketing anytime soon.So by Foose building a car,I'd think that bringing your car value from $6K to $60K would be a vast improvement!

Well, you could value that '68 Newport factory L-code at $20,000, but if you put it up on here it would only be worth $1200 by the time everybody gets finished beating it down. :laughing4:

I kind of agree with one of the above statements about restomoding vs restoring. If the car is basically complete and running, then I would be more likely to say restore it or at least don't go much farther away from original than some custom wheels and tires. In other words, don't do anything that can't be quickly and easily undone. However, if the car isn't complete, maybe doesn't run and needs lots of parts, many of which are unobtainium, then I would be much more likely to say restomod it. In that situation I'm okay with a crate engine, custom dash and gauges, custom seats and upholstery, custom paint, etc.

If Chip Foose did do your car and you really didn't like the finished product, you probably would be better off selling it and starting from scratch with another one. The simple fact that his name is on it should make it worth more than anything any of us could build. I mean, after all, if his name is on it it's a Foose car, but if we build it then it's just a C-body. Sad but true. :)

Exactly! Are some of you guys out there saying you'd rather be driving around in an original car that needs a total restoration(paint,interior,mechanicals) rather than something that's a restomod? I think some of you are just stuck in the past.I'm all for keeping a clean car back to it's original glory,but lets face it,most of the C-bodies out there are far from being in glorious condition,and the fact that these cars can use some upgrading is another story.The brakes were OK at best and would be considered fair by today's standards.What do you do when the car in front of you stops twenty feet ahead of you and you slam into his backside? Mechanical wise,these cars could benefit from fuel injection,or at least better fuel economy.Lets face it,when gas keeps going up,and we all have to use premium fuel,what are you going to do,pay $150 or more just to fill up your tank so you can drive 200 miles or are you gonna leave it sit in the garage and use it as a "Sunday Driver" and stare at it? That's like buying a pair of underware and not expecting them to get stained,lol.The purpose of a car is for transportation from point A to point B.As far as Foose styling a car,he doesn't just do restomods,he also does restorations too.Some of you seem to watch too much tv and don't follow the automotive industry much.I hate to tell you,but life didn't end back in the seventies! I don't mean this to sound harsh people,but we're living in 2014 and most of these cars were built nearly fifty years ago.I'm sure with most of you,these are not your "daily driver",otherwise I'm pretty sure you'd want them to handle better,stop better,and have almost every option you have in your modern car.When was the last time you looked at the value of a C-Body? I don't see the prices of these cars skyrocketing anytime soon.So by Foose building a car,I'd think that bringing your car value from $6K to $60K would be a vast improvement!

But I always have stained underwear due to brake failure !!!!!! :eek:ops:

Skid-Marks.png

Actually, I want to add one more thing. I like most classic cars made between 1955 and 1973. Those were probably my favorite years for cars. I have always had a thing for C-bodies and other fullsize cars from that era, so I hate seeing them being destroyed. Rather than see another C-body get derbied or have it's powertrain pulled and then get thrown in the crusher, I would much rather see it get completely restomoded, customized or whatever you want to call it. I don't care if that means two-tone or multi-tone paint, 18 inch or even slightly larger wheels, custom interior, lowered suspension and a crate engine. As long as the body is still recognizable as a C-body and the car is nicely done, that's all that really matters IMO. I would prefer a period correct Mopar engine, but wouldn't really even care if they put a Big Block Chevy under the hood! I mean, I'd be okay with it if that's what it takes for it to be out cruising, attending shows, being driven, being enjoyed and being admired. :)

We've lost way too many of them already.

As much as I like Foose and some of the projects that he has done I would not take a car that I wanted factory stock to him, there are way too many shops that specialize in that. Would I go to Foose, yes.

Alan

His fab skills are great. He does great customs. Merc's, chevy's t buckets, coupes Ford Cadi's ect. Its just my opinion. But I don't think he should ruin the originality of a muscle car to make it a chip car. Let's say he started with an all orig 1968 Chrysler Newport Factory 440 L code car. Power everything all available options. Car is complete, just needs redone. Engine, trans, rearend, paint, and interior. Its a rust-free car. Ok now car has a 3Rd gen hemi 6.1, overdrive trans, ford 9" rear. 4 wheel disc brakes, Foose wheels, Foose paint, Foose stereo, Foose interior ect. Some would say car is worth more cause the legend touched it!! Some would say car is worth less cause he touched it. Now who is to decide cars actual value?? Insurance says its worth 20,000. Chip says its worth 65,000. Now you had an all orig classic, that's now a Restomod. You get to play in the car shows with the 100,000 dollar corvette's. Iam sorry I'll keep my classic's and build the way I want to!!

The 3rd gen hemi crate motor is worth more than the restored 68 Newport. LOL

I wouldn't want mine Foosed, but I wish it could be done in a week!

Back