Pabst Brewery and Mansion

Milwaukee has a world class zoo that started in 1892. It is one of the top 10 zoo's in the country. The zoo had a gorilla by the name of Samson when I was a kid. It was one of the biggest in the world at 652 lbs. Must of had a beer or two too many. Lol. I was sad to hear that he died while I was deployed in 1981. I would highly recommend visiting this zoo if you come to Milwaukee.

The skinny on Samson

The attached photo is of the Pabst Mansion grounds as they were in 1975 when the archdiocese of Milwaukee sold the property. They were not concerned what would become of the property, they just wanted to be rid of it. Next door to the mansion was a Holiday Inn, that wanted the property to tear down all the structures for parking space. A small group of citizens got together to raise funds to buy the property to preserve it. The 'Inn' beat them to the purchase, and it loo
Overview.JPG
ked to be lost. Behind the mansion is the Carriage House, to the left, and the domestics quarters to the right. The Holiday Inn is out of the picture to the right.

When the archdiocese purchased the property, the carriage house was converted into offices and meeting rooms. The preservation group contacted a local entrepreneur to assist with saving the property. This individual was able to make a deal with the hotel to save the mansion. The hotel agreed to sell the mansion to the preservation group, but the north section of the property consisting of the carriage house and domestic building would be split off and razed for hotel parking. This was the best outcome that could be reached. The preservation group had raised $100,000 in donations, but still needed an additional $230,000 to buy the mansion, and no institution was willing to loan that amount for this venture.
After much pleading that the mansion needed to be saved for the history and posterity of Milwaukee, 23 local savings and loans and banks were convinced to finance the remaining amount needed to purchase the mansion. The home was saved, but huge additional funds were needed to begin repairs on the rapidly deteriorating exterior of the structure. Pictures attached are of the carriage house when it was built, and when demolition began in 1977. Such foolishness.
Carriage House 1890.JPG
Carriage House 1977.JPG

Last edited:
I live about 50 miles west of Milwaukee, and have visited the mansion many times, to see the progress the preservation group is making. The work began in the late 1970's, and continues to this day. Most of the furnishings are original, as they were sold with the house to the archdiocese in 1908. When the property was sold in the 1970's, the archdiocese was offering the furniture for sale separately, and had it earmarked to go to an auction house in New York. A lady in the preservation group used her own money to secure the purchase of the furniture to remain with the home. Over the years, the Pabst descendants who owned items from the house, have either donated them back to the home, or, like other individuals, have placed them on permanent loan to the home. It is a very stunning place, as you can see. The attached photo is of Mrs. Pabst's parlor
Parlor.JPG

The preservation group for the mansion exists as The Captain Frederick Pabst Mansion, Inc. I have no affiliation with this group, but have donated funds through mansion tour costs, and purchasing merchandise at the Pabst Mansion gift shop.
Check it out at www.pabstmansion.com. I purchased the book pictured below, from the mansion. A portion of souvenir sales goes toward ongoing restoration and maintenance of the mansion. There is no end. The book is hardcover, 12" x 9", 272 pages, with 496 illustrations. It gives a complete biography of Capt. Pabst and his family, as well as the full story of the mansion, the early days and brewery growth of Milwaukee. The photos in the book are both from years past, and how the mansion currently looks, along with photos and stories of the rooms, furnishings, artwork, etc. I have been through the book several times, and probably re-read it two or three times a year, and gaze at the photos. In my opinion, it's not just a book, it's truly an investment in more ways than one.
Book.JPG

1978NYB, I live in Lake Mills, about 50 miles west of Milwaukee, right along I-94. If you are going to be passing by sometime, send me a note, and maybe we can meet up.
As for those who consider Pabst to be 'weasel piss', you probably have not had a PBR in many years. When the brewery was going out, yes, it was BAD. The brewery had gotten rid of the brew masters in a cost saving blunder. The current owners of the Pabst brand put out a quality product. Not a fruit or spice flavored beverage, but a real, "beer flavored beer."
Also, Old Tankard Ale is again available, and enjoyable. Just this last week, I also saw a 'low calorie' version of Pabst in the local grocery store, in light blue packaging, like the old Pabst Light, but have no plans to try that at this time, though I probably should. Here's to the memory of Captain Pabst, and to Pabst drinkers everywhere, Ein Prosit ! PBR me ASAP !!
Quote 2.JPG
Quote 1.JPG

Last edited:
Wyandotte Pabst 504pxl.jpg
One last thing, for now. I collect old toy trucks, among other things, and what kid in the late 1930's wouldn't have wanted to have his own beer truck? This is an original toy that I restored some years ago.

Wyandotte Pabst.JPG

Last edited:
Love Shack thanks for your info and comments. I lived maybe 5 minutes away from the Pabst Theatre on the 2400 block of Weil Street.
Just a short ride down Water Street and over the Humboldt Blvd bridge. I left Milwaukee when I enlisted in the Army in the mid 1970's. I have a brother that still lives there. I retired in 1996 and currently live in Maryland. I do get to Milwaukee and Green Bay once or twice a year. Not normally during the winter anymore. BTW, visiting the Pabst Mansion during Christmas time is a real treat. They decorate the mansion in period correct trimmings as is very, very nice. I've been to the Pabst and Riverside Theatres in recent years to see concerts.

Back