Pabst Brewery and Mansion

FB_IMG_1548864454754.jpg

And I wonder what it was really like to live in a house that big in the winter with no central heating system, but rather a lot of fireplaces apparently.

And I wonder what it was really like to live in a house that big in the winter with no central heating system, but rather a lot of fireplaces apparently.

My parents house was less than a mile from that house and was considerably smaller and we had a coal fired furnace. Hated it when the fire went out in the middle of the night. Had to start a paper and wood fire and then shovel coal on it when it got hot. Not to mention shoveling out the ashes and hauling them outside to the ash box. The city came through once week for trash and another truck would come for the ashes.

My parents house was less than a mile from that house and was considerably smaller and we had a coal fired furnace. Hated it when the fire went out in the middle of the night. Had to start a paper and wood fire and then shovel coal on it when it got hot. Not to mention shoveling out the ashes and hauling them outside to the ash box. The city came through once week for trash and another truck would come for the ashes.
Say that same thing to a Millennial and watch his face.
:rofl:

When the weather was extremely cold as it has been the last few days, even with the coal furnace working there would be frost on the outside and inside of all of the windows of the house. You could see the curtains move when the wind was blowing. Old houses weren't the best insulated houses. Lol

When the weather was extremely cold as it has been the last few days, even with the coal furnace working there would be frost on the outside and inside of all of the windows of the house. You could see the curtains move when the wind was blowing. Old houses weren't the best insulated houses. Lol
I remember the coal furnace and my father cursing everytime there was a delivery. More shoveling (while wearing a dress shirt and tie :wideyed:).
When the furnace was converted to oil, I remember my father cursing at the bill left after each delivery. :lol:

Heating 3 floors in an uninsulated house.
I slept on the 3rd floor. Absolutely unbearably hot in the summer, freezing in the winter.
IS1voecnk0wqn00000000000.jpg

Nice view of Ann Park's bedroom next door, tho.....

Last edited:
Long after I enlisted in the Army my parents converted to natural gas heat I believe in the late 1970's.

My Pre-teen job waz to crank the cinder sifting handle and I have ah scar on my forehead to prove it when the handle slipped off the square shaft one time with the bottom door open and my head made contact with the door of that damn coal furnace. Type "Operation Hey Lift" In your search window Guyz. It happened in January of '49 if you wanna read about ah snowy winter ah while back. We lived in ah small town half way Between Madison and Green Bay then. Snow drifts were so high that January, I could and did walk out my 2nd floor bedroom window onto the front porch roof and rite off onto the snow drift covering the front of our house. Back door waz snow free but I shoveled for almost two full dayz to make a tunnel to the front door from the street. News reals at the movie that winter showed pix of what were called Flying Boxcars at the time making the Hey Drops for the Critters in the central plans over several states so they wouldn't starve to death. Owners couldn't reach 'um on the ground 'cuz of the snow depth. One of those little pieces of crap my head iz still full of, lol. Jer

My Pre-teen job waz to crank the cinder sifting handle and I have ah scar on my forehead to prove it when the handle slipped off the square shaft one time with the bottom door open and my head made contact with the door of that damn coal furnace. Type "Operation Hey Lift" In your search window Guyz. It happened in January of '49 if you wanna read about ah snowy winter ah while back. We lived in ah small town half way Between Madison and Green Bay then. Snow drifts were so high That January, I could and did walk out my 2nd floor bedroom window onto the front porch roof and rite off onto the snow drift covering the front of our house. Back door waz snow free but I shoveled for almost two full dayz to make a tunnel to the front door from the street. News reals at the movie that winter showed pix of what were called Flying Boxcars making the Hey drops for the Critters in the central plans over several states so they wouldn't starve to death. Owners couldn't reach them on the ground 'cuz of the snow depth. One of those little pieces of crap my head iz still full of, lol. Jer

My mother lived in Lublin, Wisconsin (Taylor County) when she was a kid and she had pictures climbing out of the 2nd floor windows because of the snow.

Thanks Pal. When you've lived lt it'z hard to say it ain't so. We were in Mauston, Wi. in Juneau County. Just 2 school in that town back then 1 public and 1 Catholic and everybody knew everybody no matter which school they went to. Between 1945 and 1950 I can't count the number of friendz I lost in both those schools because of Polio. It's still sad for me after all this time. Ah story best forgotten but I some how just can't, Jer

Back